[comp.sys.amiga] PLEASE HELP with Dead Maxtor!

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (06/06/90)

It's dead Jim! :)

Hello!
  Our users group BBS has died due to a power supply/hard drive failure.
To be more specific our Maxtor 280 Meg HD is toast. Its not bad enough that
our group (which is not exactly rich) has lost this drive that we are still
paying for, but all the data on it! Does anyone know of any way we can get
the data off of this drive? I have contacted Maxtor (They want a total of
$775 to 'fix' the drive, which I have no idea when we will be able to get
fixed) and was told that we would lose all data, they wont just replace
the circuit card on the drive and send it back. We have alot of PD
software on the drive that we would rather not loose, ANY ideas...
or donations? :)

	- Doug -

Doug_B_Erdely@Cup.Portal.Com

In <30563@cup.portal.com>, Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com writes:
>It's dead Jim! :)
>

>Hello!
>  Our users group BBS has died due to a power supply/hard drive failure.
>To be more specific our Maxtor 280 Meg HD is toast. Its not bad enough that
>our group (which is not exactly rich) has lost this drive that we are still
>paying for, but all the data on it! Does anyone know of any way we can get
>the data off of this drive? I have contacted Maxtor (They want a total of
>$775 to 'fix' the drive, which I have no idea when we will be able to get
>fixed) and was told that we would lose all data, they wont just replace
>the circuit card on the drive and send it back. We have alot of PD
>software on the drive that we would rather not loose, ANY ideas...
>or donations? :)

Check out 'jb technologies'. They advertise in Computer Shopper. Give them a
call and tel them about it. They should be able to tell you their chances of
recovering the data, and will fix the drive itself quite reasonably. I don't
know what they would charge for data recovery.

-larry

--
The raytracer of justice recurses slowly, but it renders exceedingly fine.

morgan@comcon.UUCP (comcon) (06/10/90)

In article <30563@cup.portal.com>, Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com writes:

> Hello!
>   Our users group BBS has died due to a power supply/hard drive failure.
> To be more specific our Maxtor 280 Meg HD is toast. Its not bad enough that
> our group (which is not exactly rich) has lost this drive that we are still
> paying for, but all the data on it! Does anyone know of any way we can get
> the data off of this drive? I have contacted Maxtor (They want a total of
> $775 to 'fix' the drive, which I have no idea when we will be able to get
> fixed) and was told that we would lose all data, they wont just replace
> the circuit card on the drive and send it back. We have alot of PD
> software on the drive that we would rather not loose, ANY ideas...
> or donations? :)

    I had a Hitachi DK511-5 die a month ago after a power failure. The drive
refused to spin up. I tried all I could and then called a few places. I found
a company in Computer Shopper that repaired hard drives and talked to one
of the techs. I specifically told them all I wanted done was the circuit
board replaced. He said it could be done, but there'd be no guarantees.
I can't remember the name right now, but might find the invoice. Anyways,
check some of the places in Computer Shopper. Just tell them you want the
electronics checked/or repaired and for them to leave the media alone.
Stress that! Ours just about got wiped out cause it wasn't labeled when
it came in. If you send it call the company and forcfully remind them to
mark the drive so the media is not touched.
 AS for ours. I got it back, the drive works. Had a ton of read errors on
the files and I'm still recovering the data, but most of it is there and can
be saved. I believe they charged me around $150 for the repair.
 Good luck!

--
Morgan M. Morgan  BITNET: TSMJM@ALASKA.BITNET  UUCP: uunet!comcon!morgan
                  CIS: 76164,3477