[comp.sys.amiga] GIF to IFF

raw@mcnc.org (Russell Williams) (04/19/89)

	I hate to bring this up, since I think it's been talked about before,
but does anybody have a file to transfer GIF files to IFF so I can import
them into Professional Page?

				Thanks,
					Russell

jss@cbmvax.UUCP (John Schilling QA) (04/20/89)

In article <6930@saturn.ucsc.edu> odin@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Jon Granrose) writes:
>In article <4330@alvin.mcnc.org> raw@mcnc.org (Russell Williams) writes:
>>
>>	I hate to bring this up, since I think it's been talked about before,
>>but does anybody have a file to transfer GIF files to IFF so I can import
>>them into Professional Page?
>
>	I don't think there actually is a program to do this.  I have looked
>on Compuserve (the originator of the GIF protocol) and not been able to find
>one.  Here are UCSC, we had a discussion in forum about GIF and how to get it
>to IFF and settled on some GIF display combined with a screen grabber program.
>Why should this be necessary?  I am not a proficient Amiga programmer (I'm
>still learning Unix) but I would not think it would be too hard of a program
>to write.  It would definately make things easier on people who handle lots
>of GIf images.  Any comments?
>
>Jon
>|Jon Granrose         |  ARPA: odin@ucscb.UCSC.EDU |CIS: 74036,3241|  // Only |
>|Cowell College, UCSC |  UUCP: ...!ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!odin         |\X/ Amiga!|
>|Santa Cruz, CA 95064 |Bitnet: odin%ucscb.ucsc.edu@cunyvm.bitnet    ~~~~~~~~~~|
>|"A mind is a terrible thing"|"Remember, no matter where you go there you are"|
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the COMPUSERVE Graphics FORUM you will find a program called AMGIF.
This program converts IFF to GIF.  It WILL Convert HAM to 256  also.
{assuming that the HAM Image is 320X200.  There is also a program,
called Giffy I beleave, that will convert 256 GIF to IFF-HAM.

				John Schilling, QA
				CBM, Inc.

|  Michael Colligon                             Quality Assurance Department  |
|  uucp: {ihnp4|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!mikec   Commodore Business Machines   |
| "I say we take off; nuke the site from orbit. Its the only way to be sure." |
|                                Corporal Hicks                               |

) Seaman) (04/22/89)

barry@eos.UUCP (Kenn Barry) writes:
< odin@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Jon Granrose) writes:
< >raw@mcnc.org (Russell Williams) writes:
< >>does anybody have a file to transfer GIF files to IFF so I can import
< >>them into Professional Page?
< >
< >	I don't think there actually is a program to do this.  I have looked
< >on Compuserve (the originator of the GIF protocol) and not been able to find
< >one.
< >I am not a proficient Amiga programmer (I'm
< >still learning Unix) but I would not think it would be too hard of a program
< >to write.  It would definately make things easier on people who handle lots
< >of GIf images.  Any comments?
<
< 	Just one: in what way would it be easier to have a GIF->IFF
< converter, than just using a GIF display program, and capturing the
< image?  I don't see the advantage in ease of use. The only limitation
< I've found in the screen-capture method is that GIFs that are larger
< than the Amiga screen may get chopped. I get around that by using
< the FBM utilities to resize the GIF image first, and then capture
< the resized image.
< 	The size problem would make a good GIF->IFF converter a
< bit harder to write than you might think. Ideally, the converter
< should scrunch a big GIF pic down to Amiga size, and arbitrary
< resizing is not straightforward, especially on color pics, which
< need to be RGB-separated before resizing, if you don't want severe
< degradation of the image.
<
< -  QQQCLC  -                                    Kenn Barry

I'm not sure what you mean by 'Amiga size'.  Why does everyone assume that
an image has to fit in its entirety on a single screen?  I have SEVERAL
IFF files created with DPaint that are far larger than the screen dimensions.
I don't want to have an image scrunched down.  There is too much loss of
detail.

--
Chris Seaman            |    o\  /o
crs@cpsc6a.att.com <or> |      ||         See "Attack of the Killer Smiley"!

sysop@tlvx.UUCP (SysOp) (04/23/89)

In article <3310@eos.UUCP>, barry@eos.UUCP (Kenn Barry) writes:
> In article <6930@saturn.ucsc.edu> odin@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Jon Granrose) writes:
> >In article <4330@alvin.mcnc.org> raw@mcnc.org (Russell Williams) writes:
> >>does anybody have a file to transfer GIF files to IFF so I can import
> >>them into Professional Page?
> >
> >	I don't think there actually is a program to do this.  I have looked
> >on Compuserve (the originator of the GIF protocol) and not been able to find
> >one.

There are a couple of programs which DISPLAY GIF files on Amiga.  I have
something called "HAMGIF" which does a reasonable job of displaying the 256
color pictures in HAM mode (although there's a bit of nasty color choices as
the HAM colors switch from dark to light).  It doesn't overscan.

[misc deleted]

> >Here are UCSC, we had a discussion in forum about GIF and how to get it
> >to IFF and settled on some GIF display combined with a screen grabber program.
>
> 	Yep, that's how I do it.

The doc file for GIFFY 2.0 (made by the same author as HAMGIF, Steve Bennett)
says IFF save will be in version 3.0 (his compuserve account: 70046,441 --
maybe you can contact him).  The doc file is dated 12/5/87.

I dug out HAMGIF and ScreenX to see if it was hard to convert GIF to IFF this
way.  It doesn't seem to me to be much harder than if the GIF viewer had IFF
Save built in.  (ScreenX is a REAL NICE utility.)  I read the file into
DigiPaint and verified that it actually worked.  Of course, ScreenX has
a print option too.

> >Why should this be necessary?  I am not a proficient Amiga programmer (I'm
> >still learning Unix) but I would not think it would be too hard of a program
> >to write.  It would definately make things easier on people who handle lots
> >of GIf images.  Any comments?
>
> 	Just one: in what way would it be easier to have a GIF->IFF
> converter, than just using a GIF display program, and capturing the
> image? I don't see the advantage in ease of use. The only limitation

[misc deleted]

Question: do you do more than just look at GIF pictures?  When you convert
from GIF to IFF, you'll lose some information.  If you end up going back
and forth, I would think it'd degrade the quality.  Is this true?

If you do go all the way and write your own, how about these suggestions:
use overscan whenever possible (or at least make it an option), and for HAM
displays, provide some way to analyze the picture to pick the most "optimal"
non-HAM colors, so as to make light-to-dark transitions less messy.  (Instead
of "guessing", how about making 2 passes through the file, making a list of
needed colors, sort the list, then perhaps the average.... Am I making
sense? ;-)  Maybe all you'd need is GIF to IFF file conversion.  SuperView
makes a great display program, and uses overscan, and can be used after the
conversion.  (In other words, you might just concentrate on a file-to-file
conversion, and let other utilities do displaying and printing.)

[misc deleted]

> -  QQQCLC  -                                    Kenn Barry
> ELECTRIC AVENUE:			{most major sites}!ames!eos!barry
> ARPA:					barry@eos.arc.nasa.gov

Gary Wolfe ...!uunet!hite386!tlvx!sysop

jss@cbmvax.UUCP (John Schilling QA) (04/23/89)

In article <512@cpsc6b.cpsc6a.att.com> crs@cpsc6b.cpsc6a.att.com (Chris (I'm Outta Here!) Seaman) writes:
>barry@eos.UUCP (Kenn Barry) writes:
>< odin@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Jon Granrose) writes:
>< >raw@mcnc.org (Russell Williams) writes:
>< >>does anybody have a file to transfer GIF files to IFF so I can import
>< >>them into Professional Page?
>< >
>< >	I don't think there actually is a program to do this.  I have looked
>< >on Compuserve (the originator of the GIF protocol) and not been able to find
>< >one.
>< >I am not a proficient Amiga programmer (I'm
>< >still learning Unix) but I would not think it would be too hard of a program
>< >to write.  It would definately make things easier on people who handle lots
>< >of GIf images.  Any comments?
><
>< 	Just one: in what way would it be easier to have a GIF->IFF
>< converter, than just using a GIF display program, and capturing the
>< image?  I don't see the advantage in ease of use. The only limitation
>< I've found in the screen-capture method is that GIFs that are larger
>< than the Amiga screen may get chopped. I get around that by using
>< the FBM utilities to resize the GIF image first, and then capture
>< the resized image.
>< 	The size problem would make a good GIF->IFF converter a
>< bit harder to write than you might think. Ideally, the converter
>< should scrunch a big GIF pic down to Amiga size, and arbitrary
>< resizing is not straightforward, especially on color pics, which
>< need to be RGB-separated before resizing, if you don't want severe
>< degradation of the image.
><
>< -  QQQCLC  -                                    Kenn Barry
>
>I'm not sure what you mean by 'Amiga size'.  Why does everyone assume that
>an image has to fit in its entirety on a single screen?  I have SEVERAL
>IFF files created with DPaint that are far larger than the screen dimensions.
>I don't want to have an image scrunched down.  There is too much loss of
>detail.
>
>--
>Chris Seaman            |    o\  /o
>crs@cpsc6a.att.com <or> |      ||         See "Attack of the Killer Smiley"!
>..!ihnp4!cpsc6a!crs     |   \vvvvvv/     Coming Soon to a newsgroup near you!
>                        |    \____/

All right already!!!  Ther IS A GIF to IFF and a IFF to GIF converter.
Both programs have been in exsistance for over a year.  They are
located on COMPUSERVE in the GRAPHICS libraries.  One program is called AMGIF and the other is called Giffy.  Will someone get the damn things and upload them
to the net?  I can't, my C-Serv account is history.  I hate VI!!!

D					John Schilling, QA
					CBM, Inc.

				loaCONNECT VTAM

thompson@savax.UUCP (thompson mark) (04/26/89)

In article <6930@saturn.ucsc.edu> odin@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Jon Granrose) writes:
>In article <4330@alvin.mcnc.org> raw@mcnc.org (Russell Williams) writes:
>>
>>	I hate to bring this up, since I think it's been talked about before,
>>but does anybody have a file to transfer GIF files to IFF so I can import
>>them into Professional Page?
>
>	I don't think there actually is a program to do this.

There is a program available via anonymous ftp that is a universal (almost)
image format converter. The program is capable of doing various types
of dithering and color to monochrome conversion. Unfortunately I didn't
save the name of the site because I can't do anonymous ftp. However,
if you post to comp.graphics, I think someone can help you out.
|      Mark Thompson                                                     |
|      decvax!savax!thompson       Designing high performance graphics   |
|      (603)885-9583               silicon today for a better tomorrow.  |

jonnyg@umd5.umd.edu (Jon Greenblatt) (09/20/89)

	Can someone give me a pointer to a GIFF to IFF program.
I would prefer either a binary for the amiga or source/binary for another
machine if such an absurdity exists.

					Thanks much,

						JonnyG.

jonnyg@umd5.umd.edu (Jon Greenblatt) (10/10/89)

In article <1198@clinet.FI> toweri@clinet.UUCP (Jukka Lindgren) writes:
}In article <5339@umd5.umd.edu} jonnyg@umd5.umd.edu (Jon Greenblatt) writes:
}}
}}	Can someone give me a pointer to a GIFF to IFF program.
}[stuff deleted]
}}						JonnyG.
}
}	Can someone tell, in laymans terms, what is actually the difference
}between Gif, IFF and TIFF -fileformats? Most important to me is to know,
}if it's possible to create an IFF -file from TIFF -file (24 or 36 bits).
}Or, better still: to create a HAM -image from TIFF -image...
}
}Or should I just forget it!

	Look at the public domain PBMPLUS program posted to alt.sources
a while ago. This program contains converters to and from a variety of
formats and explains each format. The format for IFF is converted using
the "ilbm" programs. I have heard of HAM to IFF and IFF to HAM but I don't
personaly have an amiga or access to HAM software.

						JonnyG.

p88-kmn@sm.luth.se (Kjell-Ove Mickelsson) (11/09/89)

I wonder if there exist some program for the Amiga to convert
GIF images to IFF. If it do exist then please write and tell
where I can find it. Or (maybe) if someone have such a program
already then if you have time, mail it to me please.
Many thanks in advance:
Kjelle Mickelsson.

.----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
.I  #OO   #OO     #OO     #OOOOOOOO                                           I
II  #OOO  #OO   #OOOOOO   #OO#####                                            I
II  #OOOOO#OO  #OO   #OO  #OOOOOO	   Glory, happiness and joy           I
II  #OO##OOOO  #OOOOOOOO  #OO###           I was here before Kilroy.          I
II  #OO  #OOO  #OO####OO  #OO                                                 I
II  ###   ###  ###   ###  ###                                                 I
II  (The National Arcade Freak) alias Kjelle Mickelsson. University of Lulea  I
I'----------------------------------------------------------------------------'
'----------------------------------------------------------------------------'

jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu (John Dutka) (11/10/89)

In article <637@tau.sm.luth.se> Kjell-Ove Mickelsson <p88-kmn@sm.luth.se> writes:
>I wonder if there exist some program for the Amiga to convert
>GIF images to IFF. If it do exist then please write and tell
>where I can find it. Or (maybe) if someone have such a program
>already then if you have time, mail it to me please.
>Many thanks in advance:

There is a program, called gif2iff, that will do this for you.  It comes
with two programs, giftotmp, and tmptoiff.  It works ok, but it chokes on
GIFS that are bigger than the Amiga screen.
Anyone know of a GIF to IFF converter out there that handles GIFs bigger
than 320x400 well?

--
| husc6!m2c!wpi!jdutka | "No matter how big a straw, you can't suck water up |
| jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu   |  more than 34 feet."                                |

uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) (11/16/89)

Does Gif2IFF (the giftotmp and tmp2iff style converter) handle Extra
1/2 brite pictures?  The amgif does not.
-Roger

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!uzun
ARPA: crash!pnet01!uzun@nosc.mil
INET: uzun@pnet01.cts.com

new@udel.edu (Darren New) (11/16/89)

In article <5422@wpi.wpi.edu> jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu (John Dutka) writes:
>There is a program, called gif2iff, that will do this for you.  It comes
>with two programs, giftotmp, and tmptoiff.  It works ok, but it chokes on
>GIFS that are bigger than the Amiga screen.

However, I looked at this one.  It seems the TMPtoIFF is what chokes.
The GIFtoTMP seems to work fine.  The temp-file format is just a
color map and a fully decompressed (1 byte per pixel) non-interleaved
easy-to-understand big file.  I think it would probably be easier
to make this one work than to rewrite from scratch.  I used it
because the GIFs I was viewing were 16-level grayscale, so the
temp file didn't need any color conversions.  Please let me know if
anybody fixes this to work on larger forms. -- Darren

gsarff@sarek.UUCP (Gary Sarff) (12/10/89)

In article <4186@nigel.udel.EDU>, new@udel.edu (Darren New) writes:
>In article <5422@wpi.wpi.edu> jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu (John Dutka) writes:
>>There is a program, called gif2iff, that will do this for you.  It comes
>>with two programs, giftotmp, and tmptoiff.  It works ok, but it chokes on
>>GIFS that are bigger than the Amiga screen.
>
>However, I looked at this one.  It seems the TMPtoIFF is what chokes.
>The GIFtoTMP seems to work fine.  The temp-file format is just a
>color map and a fully decompressed (1 byte per pixel) non-interleaved
>easy-to-understand big file.  I think it would probably be easier
>to make this one work than to rewrite from scratch.  I used it
>because the GIFs I was viewing were 16-level grayscale, so the
>temp file didn't need any color conversions.  Please let me know if
>anybody fixes this to work on larger forms. -- Darren

GIFtoTMP does have a problem with GIF files that are stored interlaced.  This
is not the same thing as amiga interlaced video or anything like that.  The
GIF file will store (I may have the details wrong), every 8th line of the
picture, then every 4th, every 2nd then all the odd ones, (may be other
schemes too) but what GIFtoTMP will do is decode the GIF into a TMP file,
(basically a bitmap with color info at the front) as if all the scan lines in
the file were sequential.  If you look at this on an amiga screen what you
will see then is 2,4, or more small horizontal versions of the same image,
each smaller vertically than the one before, direct result of decoding
sequentially when the file is storing the scanlines in interlaced GIF form.
I sure wish someone would fix this!  Anyone know how to contact the author of
this program?

lar@pc.usl.edu (Robert Lane A.) (12/15/89)

In article <00342@sarek.UUCP> gsarff@sarek.UUCP (Gary Sarff) writes:

   GIFtoTMP does have a problem with GIF files that are stored interlaced.
				[...]
   If you look at this on an amiga screen what you
   will see then is 2,4, or more small horizontal versions of the same image,
   each smaller vertically than the one before, direct result of decoding
   sequentially when the file is storing the scanlines in interlaced GIF form.
   I sure wish someone would fix this!  Anyone know how to contact the author of
   this program?

With the copy of gif2iff that I have, there is a program called "unlace"
that does this very thing. GIFtoTMP even tells you when you need to run it.
BTW, I have the version that was posted to USENET a few months back.

Lane

lar@usl.edu   ...!texbell!rouge!lar   ...!uunet!dalsqnt!usl!lar

beo@maestro.htsa.aha.nl (BeO de PeO) (12/15/89)

In article <00342@sarek.UUCP> gsarff@sarek.UUCP (Gary Sarff) writes:
>In article <4186@nigel.udel.EDU>, new@udel.edu (Darren New) writes:
>>In article <5422@wpi.wpi.edu> jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu (John Dutka) writes:
>>>There is a program, called gif2iff, that will do this for you.  It comes
>>>with two programs, giftotmp, and tmptoiff.  It works ok, but it chokes on
>>>GIFS that are bigger than the Amiga screen.
>>
>GIFtoTMP does have a problem with GIF files that are stored interlaced.  This
>is not the same thing as amiga interlaced video or anything like that.  The
>GIF file will store (I may have the details wrong), every 8th line of the
>picture, then every 4th, every 2nd then all the odd ones, (may be other
>schemes too)

The sequence is: every 8 lines starting with line 0, then every 8 lines
starting with line 4, then every 4 lines, starting with line 2, and to
finish, every 2 lines, starting with line 1.

About (inter)laced, If everything's ok, there is a file with Gif2Iff called
'Unlace'. This will convert a laced TmpFile into a non-laced TmpFile.
Unfortunately this will only work with Gifs which are 320 pixels wide.
This made me write this program again. If someone wants it: email to:
beo@maestro.htsa.aha.nl ! (Beware, it _is_ a 'bare-bones' version :^)

About choking on large pics... Erm, I dunno ....

What I don't like about GifToTmp and TmpToIff, is the handling of
errors, especially Diskfull errors.
But what the H#ck, I didn't write it, so there will be always something
_I_ don't like .... :^)
--
  ___   ___    +-----------------------------------+
 /   \ /   \   |  It's a funny ol' world, eh ?     |
   | ____\  | Jan van Veen, beo@maestro.htsa.aha.nl, Amsterdam, Netherlands  |

acota@pro-realm.cts.com (Arnold Cota) (06/11/90)

Can anyone explain to me how to convert an IBM gif file to an AMIGA iff file?
I want to view my gifs on my ami. Can anyone describe the process/programs to
do this?

Arnold Cota

UUCP: crash!pro-realm!acota
ARPA: crash!pro-realm!acota@nosc.mil