[comp.sys.amiga] how to use DIGA's kermit protocol

charbonn@jupiter.crd.ge.com (Mr. Neutron) (06/11/90)

hi,

I am having problems transferring files from my A1000 to a VAX-8600
I am using DIGA with the protocol set to kermit,
the parity set to 8N1 (8 bits noparity - matches the vax)
and handshaking set to Xon/Xoff

on the Vax side, I get into kermit and do a
set line tt:
set file type binary -- (to match the binary mode in diga).

It actually worked once, I was able to transfer text files,
but I have not been able to duplicate this.(no parameters were changed).

could someone who uses DIGA kermit send me instructions on the procedure
to connect to vax kermit. I know it can be done. thanks for your help.

email to
charbonneau@crd.ge.com

michael charbonneau

| Michael R. Charbonneau               | It goes on all day long   |
| GE Corporate Research & Development  | Everyone knows everything |
| Control Systems Laboratory           | No one is ever wrong      |
| Schenectady NY 12345                 | 	until later...     |

hubey@pilot.njin.net (Hubey) (06/11/90)

In article <8427@crdgw1.crd.ge.com> charbonn@jupiter.crd.ge.com (Mr. Neutron) writes:

> hi,
>
> I am having problems transferring files from my A1000 to a VAX-8600
> I am using DIGA with the protocol set to kermit,
> the parity set to 8N1 (8 bits noparity - matches the vax)
> and handshaking set to Xon/Xoff
>
> could someone who uses DIGA kermit send me instructions on the procedure
> to connect to vax kermit. I know it can be done. thanks for your help.
>
> michael charbonneau

Get Handshake.  I gave up on Diga a couple of years ago.  I had
similar problems. I downloaded lots of files from a VAX once
but another night I spent hours trying to upload to no avail.

Now I use Handshake. It emulates a VT220 and does a nice job too.
 hubey@pilot.njin.net  |  hubey@apollo.montclair.edu | ...!rutgers!njin!hubey

deh@cartan.math.nd.edu (David Hurtubise) (06/11/90)

> Get Handshake.  I gave up on Diga a couple of years ago.  I had
> similar problems. I downloaded lots of files from a VAX once
> but another night I spent hours trying to upload to no avail.

I used DIGA's kermit protocol for several years with great success.
But in order to use it you have to be aware of how to fix
it's problem with uploading.  Before you can upload you have to
download a file.  This applies every time you enter into Kermit
on the host computer.  I'm not sure why this works, but it does.
     What I did was to create a null file in my space on the host
computer.  Then whenever I wanted to upload a file I would enter
the Kermit command on the host computer download the null file .
After downloading the null file I could upload ad many files as
I liked as long as I did not quit Kermit on the host computer.

David E. Hurtubise
Math Department
University of Notre Dame
deh@ndmath.math.nd.edu