[comp.sys.amiga] A500 has a green screen

chris@bingvaxu.CC.BINGHAMTON.EDU (Chris Peck) (06/08/90)

Well, my Amiga died last nite - the symtom is a green monitor screen
and a blinking red power light on the keyboard.  Anyone have any ideas
what causes this?
-chris

--
chris@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu    Chris Peck
chris@bingvaxa.bitnet		    SUNY Binghamton, NY

mgemmel@cs.vu.nl (Martin Gemmel) (06/08/90)

In article <3574@bingvaxu.CC.BINGHAMTON.EDU>,
 chris@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu.cc.binghamton.edu (Chris Peck) writes:
>Well, my Amiga died last nite - the symtom is a green monitor screen
>and a blinking red power light on the keyboard.  Anyone have any ideas
>what causes this?

Officially, it means there's something wrong with your CHIP ram.
During startup, your Amiga checks how much CHIP ram there's
available. If it's less than 512K (I think) your screen turns
green, the LED blinks 11 times, and another reset is initiated,
often resulting in the same trouble.

Now comes the strange part. I have had the same experience after
I swapped my 68000 with an 68010! I just couldn't believe it had
to do with my CHIP ram chips. So I pressed a little on my 68010,
pulled it out a tiny little bit, pressed it again etc. and when
I turned my Amiga back on, everything went fine! Then I decided
to put my 68000 back in, and my screen turned green again. I had
to perform the same ritual as with the 68010 to fix it.

A friend of mine had to pull the ROM chip in his Amiga a little
in order to fix the same problem.

So I think your CHIP ram chips are one of the last places you will
find the problem.

--
Martin Gemmel

In article <3574@bingvaxu.CC.BINGHAMTON.EDU> chris@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu.cc.binghamton.edu (Chris Peck) writes:
> Well, my Amiga died last nite - the symtom is a green monitor screen
> and a blinking red power light on the keyboard.  Anyone have any ideas
> what causes this?

Green screens indicate memory problems, most likely due to a poorly seated
Agnus chip or an A501 card not making good contact.  Wiggle your a501 if
you have one else take it to a service center...  (or DIY)

In article <3574@bingvaxu.CC.BINGHAMTON.EDU> chris@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu.cc.binghamton.edu (Chris Peck) writes:
>Well, my Amiga died last nite - the symtom is a green monitor screen
>and a blinking red power light on the keyboard.  Anyone have any ideas
>what causes this?

If it were only the green screen, this is quite often (but not always)
just a bad contact of one of the bigger chips (Fat Agnus eg) in their
sockets. If you dare to open your Amiga, just push the chips tight into
their sockets and try again.

This helped already in some cases, but the flashing light you mention
makes me less sure...

--
Best regards, Dr. Peter Kittel       E-Mail to
Commodore Frankfurt, Germany         rutgers!cbmvax!cbmbsw!cbmger!peterk

chris@bingvaxu.CC.BINGHAMTON.EDU (Chris Peck) (06/11/90)

In article <12416@cbmvax.commodore.com> grr@cbmvax (George Robbins) writes:
>Green screens indicate memory problems, most likely due to a poorly seated
>Agnus chip or an A501 card not making good contact.  Wiggle your a501 if
>you have one else take it to a service center...  (or DIY)

Well - I got my Amiga back Friday, and it was the Agnus.  It came
loose during shipping I guess.  The service fellow said that the
"older" Amiga 500's had a "looser" fitting in the socket.  I wanted to
get it fully checked out anyways (cost the same $25 for the bench
charge).  Thanks for all the info folks!!!  Next time I'll post here
and then DIY...
-chris