[comp.sys.amiga] Xenomorph?

freund@sakura.ucdavis.edu (Jason Freund) (06/11/90)

I saw review for a game called Xenomorph in ZAP!, a european Amiga games
magazine (don't know issue month, probably June's).  It looks exactly
like dungeon master -- even the same icons for walking around -- except
it's on a space station or something.

Three things:

1) Does anyone know where I can buy it in the US?  I haven't seen it in
any magazines yet.

2) Is it legal for Pandora (the publisher) to copy Dungeon Master so
closely even though they're a British publisher.  Is it legal if the
game is not sold in the US?

3) Does anyone have any comments on the concept of a dungeon-type game
set in space?

	      ____
             / / /  Jason Freund,  Davis, CA
            / / /   Computer Science, Engineering, Univ. Calif. Davis
           / / /
  ____    / / /     freund@sakura.ucdavis.edu    CI$: 72007,244
  \ \ \  / / /
   \ \ \/ / /       "The more I get to know people, the more I like my cat."
    \ \ \/ /        "E. Pluribus UNIX" "My other computer is an Amiga 3000."
     \ \ \/
      \_\/ Amiga

torkel@sics.se (Torkel Franzen) (06/12/90)

In article <7447@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> freund@sakura.ucdavis.edu
(Jason Freund) writes:

   >Does anyone have any comments on the concept of a dungeon-type game
   >set in space?

  I'm currently playing Xenomorph on the Atari ST, and I understand it's
identical on the Amiga apart from added music. It's a lot like Dungeon
Master in its general appearance. However, it's not nearly as smoothly
and expertly programmed. In particular, picking up things with the mouse
can be very tricky. (The same on the Amiga, from what I hear.) There are
some indications that the game was released without all the pre-meditated
neat little details in place. I don't think its DM-like aspects are
significant from the legal point of view. In all, I'd say it's a good game,
with good atmosphere and varied and detailed graphics. One irritating
aspect: you need to switch disks a lot if you only have one drive, and
the options in pop-up windows sometimes don't include canceling (one of
the less-than-smooth aspects of the programming).