[comp.sys.amiga] Low Memory Situations

jones@uv4.eglin.af.mil (Calvin Jones, III) (06/12/90)

<839@rulcvx.LeidenUniv.nl> aips@rulcvx.LeidenUniv.nl (W. Jaffe) writes:

>I have an interesting problem. I wonder if it has any value
>to check whether an AllocMem of 1Kb fails.
>In my opinion it is an absolute waste of time and space to do
>such a check, because the system would have crashed long before
>only 1Kb was left. Intuition don't like a low memory environment.

Of course you should check.  It's just possible that there is only, say,
512 bytes free at the time you request the memory.  Remember that the
Amiga can multitask, so if the user gets a requestor, that nicely
permits a retry, he can possibly close down another application and get
enough memory back to have the RETRY succeed.

It would be nice if the "out of memory" requestors would state how much
more memory was needed!

   --- Cal
   //  Cal Jones - Internet:  <Jones@UV4.Eglin.AF.Mil>
 \X/               BBS:  904-243-6219  1200-9600HST  340Meg, all Amiga
                         Single Tasking?    *JUST SAY NO!!!*