[comp.sys.amiga] Soundtracker...ftp'able anywhere?

jcfst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (John C. Fossum) (06/07/90)

     Does any ftp site have the current version of SoundTracker
anywhere? Any help is appreciated.

-Steve M. Suhy

bard@jessica.stanford.edu (David Hopper) (06/07/90)

In article <24750@unix.cis.pitt.edu> jcfst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (John C. Fossum) writes:

>     Does any ftp site have the current version of SoundTracker
>anywhere? Any help is appreciated.
>
>-Steve M. Suhy

The latest version is called 'NoiseTracker' and is at version 1.2.  You can
find it in /incoming/amiga at xanth.cs.odu.edu.

This is an amazing application if you need to compose a multitrack score
composed of sampled instrument sounds.  Be sure to download all of the
'mod.*.LZH' files at xanth, as well.  If you are into fast-moving, heavy
industrial music, these modules, piped into an amplifier, are mind-blowing.

I can see this application producing some classical, metal, and popular scores
that depend on precise timing rather expertly.  It supports note transcribing
and voice polyphonization, arpeggio and vibrato manipulation, and a whole host
of other goodies.

Cons:  written by pirates.  Documentation is there, but is sketchy.  Only
allows limited multitasking (you can suspend the program to go back to your
WorkBench environment, but while it is running, you cannot multitask due to the
copper/blitter manipulation in the scope and spectrometer displays [I gather])

If you want to play any tracker module on the WorkBench, the
SmokeOnTheWater.LZH file at xanth has a program called 'IntuiTracker' that
will reside on the workbench, and is rather friendly to the environment.

In spite of the cons, this is a powerful program that is a lot of fun to use.
I strongly encourage the appearance of more NoiseTracker modules.  Perhaps
this will show pirates that their original ideas are more welcome than their
illicit ones.

Dave Hopper      |      ///  Yesterday, CS.	      | "God does not play
                 |     ///    Today, Anthro/History.  | dice!" -Einstein
bard@jessica.    | \\\///                             | I wouldn't think Dice'd
   Stanford.EDU  |  \XX/ Tomorrow... bleeding ulcers. | be popular up there.

hcmutt@hpcll31.HP.COM (Harry Muttart) (06/13/90)

Why not try MED on a recent FISH disk?  It seems to support multi-tasking well,
and has the same level if not more power.  Again, documentation is a little
sketchy, but if you work with the commands a little, it all works out.

Neither package works with music notation.  Each package seems like it would
handle triplets very oddly (blocks with 64 timing slots are used to build up
tunes).  SoundTracker does have a library routine to play songs, but MED only
seems to have program (which I think will work with video programs which
AREXX)!

Harry Muttart  (Opinions entirely my own)

PS - MED also has a "magic key sequence" to break out of a tune that uses "so
     much CPU that the mouse does not respond".  (I am not talking about the 3
     finger salute (BOOT), and this only seems to happen at very fast tempos).