[comp.sys.amiga] Vertical A2000?

mofo@bucsf.bu.edu (jason greene) (06/12/90)

Is there anything WRONG with operating the A2000 (without a harddisk) upright?
that is, with the left side of it on the floor, and the right side straight up (so that the disks are vertical)??

I used my 1000 like this for years before getting the 2000, but used the 2000 flat. Now in my new office I am using it upright again (looks better because now I have a nice 23" multisync)

BUT, it is now dead! Anytime I put a disk into df1: or df2: it kills it. My harddrive is in the shop so i don't know it is/would be affected.

df0: works fine... if i boot off of any disk all that df1: or df2: will tell me is "not a dos disk" when in fact they are before i put them in there.

once they are put in the drive, they are totally wiped out! I have gone through about 40 disks now over the weekend, working on a different cmoputer first but then trying it in df1: and then trying to boot it and its dead!

HEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPP!

I was  using the 2000 upright like that for about 3 weeks before this disaster.

jason greene
mofo@bucsf.bu.edu

In article <MOFO.90Jun11184617@bucsf.bu.edu> mofo@bucsf.bu.edu (jason greene) writes:
>Is there anything WRONG with operating the A2000 (without a harddisk) upright?
>that is, with the left side of it on the floor, and the right side straight up (so that the disks are vertical)??
>
>I used my 1000 like this for years before getting the 2000, but used the 2000 flat. Now in my new office I am using it upright again (looks better because now I have a nice 23" multisync)
>
>BUT, it is now dead! Anytime I put a disk into df1: or df2: it kills it. My harddrive is in the shop so i don't know it is/would be affected.
>
>df0: works fine... if i boot off of any disk all that df1: or df2: will tell me is "not a dos disk" when in fact they are before i put them in there.
>
>once they are put in the drive, they are totally wiped out! I have gone through about 40 disks now over the weekend, working on a different cmoputer first but then trying it in df1: and then trying to boot it and its dead!
>

>HEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPP!
>
>I was  using the 2000 upright like that for about 3 weeks before this disaster.
>
>jason greene
>mofo@bucsf.bu.edu

I don't think having the machine on its side has anything to do with your
problem.  I've been running my A2000 standing on edge continuously except
for lightning storms and one teensy-weensy earthquake for over a year now
without problems.  Actually, I'm amazed the fan has lasted this long.

Try the usual stuff; clean the disk heads, power cycle the machine, spring
for big buck repairs at the dealers, etc.  ;-)

Kent, the man from xanth.
in the distance a roasted cave newt screamed in agony -- Andrew Palfreyman

dfrancis@tronsbox.UUCP (Dennis Francis Heffernan) (06/13/90)

	RE Upright 2000's

	Welp, I've had mine upright for longer than 3 weeks, and it hasn't
so much as hiccuped.  I don't have a hard drive, but I understand that hard
drives WILL work, though you'll have to do a low-level format with the drive
in the orientation it will be used in.

	Biggest problem is keeping the joystick cord out of the way. :-)

Dennis Francis Heffernan	|  "Remember the words of your teacher,
dfrancis@tronsbox		|   your master: Evil moves fast, but
...uunet!tronsbox!dfrancis	|   Good moves faster!"
Original text (c) 1990  	|   --Partners in Kryme, T-U-R-T-L-E Power!

phorgan@cup.portal.com (Patrick John Horgan) (06/13/90)

I've been using my 2000 for awhile on it's side.  The only problem
I had was that even though I was told that I should reprep the harddisk
on it's side (which actually puts it laying flat since it's a hardcard,
I tried it anyway.  The read errors grew and grew.  Bad blocks appeared:(

I repreped and everything was (and still is) fine.

p.s. It's a 100 Meg Quantum.

Patrick Horgan                          phorgan@cup.portal.com