[comp.sys.amiga] Workbench 1.3 and 1.3.2

zmacy02@doc.ic.ac.uk (Liaket Ali) (06/01/90)

Hi Netters!

I have a question. I am considering getting an A500 very soon. I am told that
the version of Workbench is 1.3. (I can't wait long enough for 2.0!)

However I heard that CBM released an update called WB 1.3.2. But all the shops
that I have visited all deny this. They say that only 1.3 exists.

So, what is going on? Is there a Workbench 1.3.2? And if there is then what
are the differences between 1.3 and 1.3.2?
Also, which version am I likely to get with my A500 (UK PAL version) ?

Any help on this matter would be appreciated.

Another question I have is:
Are there any MODULA-2 and MICRO-PROLOG compilers available for the AMIGA?
Preferably cheap or PD (I am a student). Any pointers/recommendations would be
useful.

Thanks in advance for any help.

LIAKET ALI

e-mail: zmacy02@doc.ic.ac.uk

6600mict@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Mark Rigby) (06/03/90)

If the dealers in your area deny the EXISTENCE of WB
1.3.2, they aren't very up on the Amiga! I bought WB
1.3.2 over 3 months ago in the US and noticed no
real differences between it and 1.3.
  If you buy an Amiga today, you should get 1.3.2,
unless Commodore re-named it 1.3!

chris@bingvaxu.CC.BINGHAMTON.EDU (Chris Peck) (06/03/90)

I just ran across WB1.3.2 on CompuServe last nite - I think it's been out awhile.
Basically, it's a bugfix for 1.3 - probly the dealers have it and just don't know.
There was no added functionality (except for fixes for various bugs).
-chris

--
chris@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu    Chris Peck
chris@bingvaxa.bitnet		    SUNY Binghamton, NY

In article <1950@gould.doc.ic.ac.uk> zmacy02@doc.ic.ac.uk (Liaket Ali) writes:
>However I heard that CBM released an update called WB 1.3.2. But all the shops
>that I have visited all deny this. They say that only 1.3 exists.

Well, all are right and all are false. The actual Workbench is only
internally called 1.3.2, on the label it is still only 1.3. If you want to
examine a specific WB disk, call version from the Workbench menu or type
the version command in CLI/Shell. The first released 1.3 version gives
you 34.20 for Workbench, the "1.3.2" gives you 34.28. It is highly
recommended that you insist on getting the latter one.

>Also, which version am I likely to get with my A500 (UK PAL version) ?
                                 You should get it:   ^^^^^^

>Are there any MODULA-2 and MICRO-PROLOG compilers available for the AMIGA?
>Preferably cheap or PD (I am a student). Any pointers/recommendations would be

There are a bunch of Modula-2 compilers, like M2Amiga, Benchmark Modula-2
and others. Of one of these (I think M2Amiga, don't beat me) there is a
Public Domain version (with slight restrictions) on the Fred Fish series.
In this series you will also find PD versions of Prolog, no commercial
product known to me here yet.

--
Best regards, Dr. Peter Kittel       E-Mail to
Commodore Frankfurt, Germany         rutgers!cbmvax!cbmbsw!cbmger!peterk

zmacy02@doc.ic.ac.uk (Liaket Ali) (06/13/90)

Hi! I just wish to thank everyone who sent me the info. regarding Workbench
and MODULA2 compilers.

I finally got the A500 and it came with Workbench 1.3.2 !!

I'll probably get the Benchmark MODULA2 compiler (after I save up enough cash
for it 8-))

Everyone have a nice summer vacation! (I certainly will!!!!!)
Ciao.

LIAKET ALI

e-mail:   zmacy02@doc.ic.ac.uk