[comp.sys.amiga] Old hddisk.device bug

space@ncc1701.stgt.sub.org (Lars Soltau) (06/11/90)

Ever since I got my A2090 controller (one of the first to become available
here in Germany), it had this annoying bug: With SCSI drives, on every 3rd or
4th boot, the drive would hang, the LED shining brightly, and I'd have to boot
again.

When I got a new hddisk.device (AmigaDOS V1.3), I hoped that this would be
fixed, but no, it was still there. Now that I have an A2090A controller, this
faulty hddisk.device (I assume it is hddisk.device) is put in ROM, does that
mean that this bug is never going to be fixed? Is the hddisk.device in the
A2091 the same version as in the A2090A? And the one with the A3000?

It is so annoying if you cannot be sure that when you reboot, the machine will
not hang during the boot process. Please, Commodore, I posted about this
before, don't ignore me this time.

And, BTW, don't try to blame this on the drive. I've had this behaviour with
a Rodime, a Seagate and now my Maxtor SCSI drive. So it's pretty save to
assume that the Amiga is the bad guy here, isn't it?

--
Lars Soltau     bang: <insert ridiculously long path>   Bix: -- no bucks --
                smart: space@ncc1701.stgt.sub.org

In <550@ncc1701.stgt.sub.org>, space@ncc1701.stgt.sub.org (Lars Soltau) writes:

>And, BTW, don't try to blame this on the drive. I've had this behaviour with
>a Rodime, a Seagate and now my Maxtor SCSI drive. So it's pretty save to
>assume that the Amiga is the bad guy here, isn't it?

Try putting the drive at SCSI target 6, and see if that helps. It will take
longer for the driver software to get to it when looking for drives, and if the
problem is that the drive is not ready when it is scanned, it might be when set
to a higher address. It's worked for me on several drives.

-larry

--
The raytracer of justice recurses slowly, but it renders exceedingly fine.