[comp.sys.amiga] Ads in AmigaWorld

yves@vache.CAM.ORG (Yves Laurin) (06/03/90)

my english might be bad, but my geography is better
why do american think they own america, canada ia part of noth america
they could not figure out a name for citizen of united state so they
took the name american. they may have the name but not the land (so far).

--
nobody is perfect and
i'm the living proof of that

gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) (06/07/90)

Who has picked up the latest AmigaWorld?  There are a few interesting
ads in it.  Looks like GVP has released their 50 MHz 030 board, while
a company from montreal is releasing an 040 board.  The ad had a ton
of spelling errorss.  I wonder how they are managing considering the 040
is not up to production.  Also, it seems that Doug Barney is up to more
idiocy.  He keeps ragging on other systems while praising the Amiga at
the same time.  While I agree that the Amiga is the best machine around,
I think that he is fairly unprofessional.

				See ya, Ralph

gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu       gilgalad@zip.eecs.umich.edu
gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu     Ralph_Seguin@ub.cc.umich.edu
gilgalad@sparky.eecs.umich.edu    USER6TUN@UMICHUB.BITNET

Ralph Seguin               |  In order to get infinitely many monkeys to type
565 South Zeeb Rd.         | something that actually makes sense, you need to
Ann Arbor, MI 48103        | have infinitely many monkey editors as well.
(313) 662-1506

kengo@pawl.rpi.edu (Ken Goldenberg) (06/07/90)

In article <2545@zipeecs.umich.edu> gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) writes:
>Who has picked up the latest AmigaWorld?  There are a few interesting
>ads in it.  Looks like GVP has released their 50 MHz 030 board, while
>a company from montreal is releasing an 040 board.  The ad had a ton
>of spelling errorss.  I wonder how they are managing considering the 040
>is not up to production.  Also, it seems that Doug Barney is up to more

Yeah, I read the 50 Mhz ad with quite a bit of surpise, as I had heard that a
40 Mhz version of the GVP accelerator was not yet available in the U.S.  I
was impressed that the Amiga can boast 50 Mhz, but as I heard $4k list for a
40 Mhz GVP, my 2000 will be running at 7.14 for quite a while.  As to the
"Fusion Forty" (their silly name, not mine) I'm glad you saw it too, 'cause I
thought I was dreaming.  The specs seem impressive (20-27 Mips), but I didn't
think that the 68040 was "done" yet.  Anyone know?  BTW, spelling isn't my
forte, so I'll excuse them, assuming they _do_ have a working 040 board.

                                           -Mitch

>				See ya, Ralph
>

>gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu       gilgalad@zip.eecs.umich.edu
>gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu     Ralph_Seguin@ub.cc.umich.edu
>gilgalad@sparky.eecs.umich.edu    USER6TUN@UMICHUB.BITNET
>
>Ralph Seguin               |  In order to get infinitely many monkeys to type
>565 South Zeeb Rd.         | something that actually makes sense, you need to
>Ann Arbor, MI 48103        | have infinitely many monkey editors as well.
>(313) 662-1506

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\|      Software Error Task Held     |////////////////////
kengo@pawl.rpi.edu | "I see." said Arthur, who didn't  |  Just call me Mitch

blatter@ifi.unizh.ch (Martin Blatter) (06/07/90)

In article <2545@zipeecs.umich.edu> gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) writes:
>Who has picked up the latest AmigaWorld?  There are a few interesting
>ads in it.  Looks like GVP has released their 50 MHz 030 board, while
>a company from montreal is releasing an 040 board.

Sounds great! Is this board also available for the A3000 ???
(We usually get Amiga World two months later here)

>...Also, it seems that Doug Barney is up to more
>idiocy.  He keeps ragging on other systems while praising the Amiga at
>the same time.  While I agree that the Amiga is the best machine around,
>I think that he is fairly unprofessional.

But Amiga World is _far_ better than all those German magazines like
"Amiga Magazin". In their latest issue, they praise MS-DOS (the article
is called "MS-DOS im Vormarsch" = "MS-DOS advancing") and pretend that
the Zorro III Bus had a clock rate of 7.16 like Zorro II.

>				See ya, Ralph

						--Martin

         ///    Martin A. Blatter
        ///     University of Zurich, department of Computer Science
       ///      Switzerland (Europe)
   \\\///       E-Mail: blatter@ifi.unizh.ch
    \XX/        ----------------------------
			          "A day without sunshine is like night"
 "There's a light where the darkness ends" (Taupin)

bard@jessica.stanford.edu (David Hopper) (06/07/90)

In article <2545@zipeecs.umich.edu> gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) writes:
>Who has picked up the latest AmigaWorld?  There are a few interesting
>ads in it.  Looks like GVP has released their 50 MHz 030 board, while

Saw this at the GoAmigo! Convention.  *DAMN* nice, *DAMN* fast.  They were
running Sculpt-Animate on it.

>is not up to production.  Also, it seems that Doug Barney is up to more
>idiocy.  He keeps ragging on other systems while praising the Amiga at
>the same time.  While I agree that the Amiga is the best machine around,
>I think that he is fairly unprofessional.
		    ^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Ohboy-- all things considered, Ralph, this is the understatement of the year.
Doug Barney is an embarrassment to me, my machine, and IMHO, the reputations
thereof.

So, just who did Doug know to get that job?  And what happened to Guy Wright?
I got a kick out of Guy's editorials and Zeitgeist.  They were hip.

>				See ya, Ralph

Take care,
Dave Hopper      |      ///  Yesterday, CS.	      | "God does not play
                 |     ///    Today, Anthro/History.  | dice!" -Einstein
bard@jessica.    | \\\///                             | I wouldn't think Dice'd
   Stanford.EDU  |  \XX/ Tomorrow... bleeding ulcers. | be popular up there.

In article <QX`$XM*@rpi.edu> kengo@pawl.rpi.edu (Ken Goldenberg) writes:
>think that the 68040 was "done" yet.  Anyone know?  BTW, spelling isn't my
>forte, so I'll excuse them, assuming they _do_ have a working 040 board.
>
>                                           -Mitch

	Well, the 68040 isn't finished yet, although NeXT is
already announcing that it will be shipping a 68040 NeXT in the
winter. In the rumors part of AmigaWorld, they said that a 68040
A3000 has been seen. The 68040 is in developers hands, though.
	As to the spelling, I thought that it might be some
differences in spelling between America and Canada. As I'm not
Canadian, I don't know.
	-- Ethan

Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu

"If Commodore had to market sushi they'd call it `raw cold fish'"
		-- The Bandito, inevitably stolen from someone else

karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) (06/10/90)

In <3208.AA3208@vache.CAM.ORG> yves@vache.CAM.ORG (Yves Laurin) writes:
>my english might be bad, but my geography is better
>why do american think they own america, canada ia part of noth america
>they could not figure out a name for citizen of united state so they
>took the name american. they may have the name but not the land (so far).

"When I was [in Canada] I found their jokes like their roads -- not very
 long and not very good, leading to a little tin point of a spire which
 has been remorselessly obvious for miles without seeming to get any
 nearer."
-- Samuel Butler

Canada: a few acres of snow.
-- Voltaire

"I don't even know what street Canada is on."
-- Al Capone
--
-- uunet!sugar!karl
-- Usenet access: (713) 438-5018

In article <3208.AA3208@vache.CAM.ORG> yves@vache.CAM.ORG (Yves Laurin) writes:
>my english might be bad, but my geography is better
>why do american think they own america, canada ia part of noth america
>they could not figure out a name for citizen of united state so they
>took the name american. they may have the name but not the land (so far).

	Just the pattern of speech we generally use. It's nothing
personal, we just use the word American to refer to people from
the U.S.. People from Canada are Canadians. It's not those
imperialistic Americans again, we don't even think of the term as
expanding beyond our borders.
	And we ALMOST won Canada...   8^>

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (06/14/90)

In article <5809@sugar.hackercorp.com> karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) writes:
|[...]
|"When I was [in Canada] I found their jokes like their roads -- not very
| long and not very good, leading to a little tin point of a spire which
| has been remorselessly obvious for miles without seeming to get any
| nearer."
|-- Samuel Butler

|Canada: a few acres of snow.
|-- Voltaire

|"I don't even know what street Canada is on."
|-- Al Capone

	How many Texans does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

	2 - one to build the scaffold & one to bring th rope

--
  ,u,	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ontario
a /i/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

maverick@floopy.UUCP (Thomas Schwarz) (06/14/90)

While on the subject of ads in AmigaWorld I would like to know if anyone has
any information on "The Animation Studio" by Disney beyond what was in the
magazine.  This program sounds great and I am very interested in it.  I was
wondering if anyone knows what kind of price they might be selling this
package for.  Did anyone else see this ad and what did they think of it?

--
	 ____
	/ / /  Amiga 1000  | Thomas "Maverick" Schwarz  -  Sirius Software