[comp.sys.amiga] AmigaTeX and disk space

kosma%human-torch@STC.LOCKHEED.COM (Monty Kosma) (06/12/90)

{is tom out there??}
quick question:  I'm thinking about finally getting AmigaTeX now that I'm
leaving behind the systems at Lockheed and will have to be doing more
stuff at home (once I buy a printer).  How much hard disk space do I need?
Hopefully I can get another one cheaply if I need to...

monty
kosma@human-torch.lasc-research.lockheed.com

In article <9006112026.AA00442@human-torch.lockheed.com> kosma%human-torch@STC.LOCKHEED.COM (Monty Kosma) writes:
>{is tom out there??}
>quick question:  I'm thinking about finally getting AmigaTeX now that I'm
>leaving behind the systems at Lockheed and will have to be doing more
>stuff at home (once I buy a printer).  How much hard disk space do I need?
>Hopefully I can get another one cheaply if I need to...
>
>monty
>kosma@human-torch.lasc-research.lockheed.com

Not having a hard disk, I can't answer exactly, but the distribution I
bought (AmigaTEX, LaTeX, BibTeX, METAFONT, Epson/NECC Printer driver)
occupies 18 AmigaDOS floppies, which if they're all full is just under
16 Meg if you want it all online at once.  In addition, you might want
that much space again to do rasterized characters.

Contrarywise, since most of that is fonts, you could get by with about
5 meg to start, just rasterizing the fonts you need from floppies.

Kent, the man from xanth.
Kent is back.  What more could you want.  -- Richard Sexton

@utrcgw.utc.com:mark@ardnt1 (mark) (06/12/90)

Monty,

I forwarded your question about AmigaTeX and disk space to
someone here at work who has AmigaTeX.  Following is his response.

I'm also posting this to amiga-relay just in case someone else
may be interested.

If you have any other questions (about AmigaTeX), you can mail them to me
and I'll forward it to Ray or you can mail to Ray directly at

	RAYBRO%UTRC@utrcgw.utc.com

| Mark Stucky                         | Email:                               |
| United Technologies Research Center |   mark%ardnt1@utrcgw.utc.com         |
| East Hartford, CT.                  |   mast%utrc@utrcgw.utc.com           |

on 11 Jun 90 20:26:19 GMT,

From RAYBRO%UTRC@utrcgw.utc.com Tue Jun 12 09:54:16 1990
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 90 08:39 EST
From: "William R(ay) Brohinsky" <RAYBRO%UTRC@utrcgw.utc.com>
Subject: RE: [@utrcgw.utc.com:kosma%human-torch@stc.lockheed.COM: AmigaTeX and
 disk space]
To: mark@ardnt1

Mark, Please forward this to amiga-relay.

to monty<cr>kosma@human-torch.lasc-research.lockheed.com:

Yes, tom is really out there. His address is rokicki@neon.stanford.edu and
he does answer email.

As for hard disk space:
AmigaTeX can be operated from a one-disk,512K amiga, within limitations.
If you have more memory, great! (It means you can get away with larger
documents, but not that you can run bibtex and LaTeX at the same time!).

However, I only use about one meg of my hard disk space, at the moment.
That is because I use Tom's disk caching scheme. I was using 6M, because
I had the high-resolution EPSON FX fonts on the hard drive. When I upgraded
to the 300dpi-resolution fonts for my (still yet to arrive) DeskJet Plus,
I pulled the epson fonts off the disk, and got back 5meg. I do keep
the previewer fonts on the hard disk, and that's most of the meg.
I also keep AmigaMETAFONT on the disk, but I'm not counting that.

Now, if you don't plan to use LaTeX, you can save considerable
hard disk space by not putting lplain.tex, lplain.fmt, lfonts.tex, and
all the style files on it. Also, there's a few KB to be saved by not
keeping .tex files for AMSTeX, BIBTex, or any of those things on the
hard disk, either.

As for disk caching:
When you start out, you only have to have a file that tells the amiga where
to look for fonts. This file contains lines which associate each font
size with one of the 5 to 8-or-so floppies which come with the printer
driver. When the amiga needs a font, it'll ask for it by name. The names
are color1.color2, where color2 tends to follow the resistor color code
(black=0,brown=1,red=3,orange,yellow,green,blue,violet,grey,white) and
color1 indicates the printer resolution (brown=300dpi, yellow=240x216).

NOTE: this only refers to the .pk files! You still need to have the
.tfm files on the tex: disk (whether that is assigned to the hard disk
subdirectory where all the other tex subdirectories have been copied,
or whether you are using the floppies for everything!). This is because
TeX uses only the .tfm files to set the pages, and needs only the height,
width, kerning, and ligiture information to do it. The drivers need none
of that (since TeX has already done that part of the job), but need the
.pk files.

If you have enabled the font caching, the needed fonts will be requested
once. When you provide the proper floppy, the fonts will be copied into
the proper directory under tex:fonts (for instance, cmr10 magstep(0), the
first font you can expect to be asked for, would be kept in tex:fonts/300
for a laser). Then, the next time that font is used, it will be taken
from the hard disk. Thus, you only end up with the fonts on the hard disk
that you have actually used, and things go slow only the first time you
do them. I have never used anything over magstep(3) that I know of, and
that's where the biggest font files come from.

Thus, the answer to `how much hard disk storage do I need' is answered:
from none to lots! The maximum lots, for someone who uses amigaTeX,
amigaMETAFONT, has a laser _and_ a 9=pin printer, and runs the 9-pin
at 240x216 and _also_ at the lower resolutions (the numbers escape me)
_and_ keeps the previewer fonts on the disk (100dpi), will start around
22Meg, and if he uses a lot of oddball fonts, and has amigaMETAFONT's
script set up so that it will generate any needed fonts, that number can
grow.

I hope that helps.

This will probably help more:
I have a 20M hard disk. (It's a tecmar T-disk, no less. Belongs in a
museum, but since that's what my house is accused of being...)
I also run 1.5Meg. I have DMCS, Photon Paint, IMGscan, Cygnus Ed,
CrossDos, DiskMan and SID1.6, the structure browser and a few other
big pubDom programmer's tools, amigaTeX with all the style and input
files (including the Gentle introduction to TeX, which Tom now includes
with the manual for amigaTeX), many music files (including Bach's 3rd
brandenburg concerto, complete!), and a 300KB file which contains my
first novel (well, 3/4th of it...). I have about five meg left free.

raybro - raybro%UTRC@utrcgw.utc.com

UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) (06/12/90)

In article <9006112026.AA00442@human-torch.lockheed.com>,
kosma%human-torch@STC.LOCKHEED.COM (Monty Kosma) says:

>{is tom out there??}

     yes.

>                                       How much hard disk space do I need?
>Hopefully I can get another one cheaply if I need to...

You don't even need one.  This is mostly because AmigaTeX has a font
cacheing scheme that asks for the right folppy if it cannot find a font,
and then copies the font stuff to a working directory.  When, over the course
of several pieces of work the working directory fills up too much, you
can just delete the little used ones.

Hard disk is nice, though.

                          lee

charles@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Charles Brown) (06/13/90)

> quick question:  I'm thinking about finally getting AmigaTeX now
> that I'm leaving behind the systems at Lockheed and will have to be
> doing more stuff at home (once I buy a printer).  How much hard disk
> space do I need?
>	monty

None; you can run from floppy.  But the more of the floppys you
transfer to hard disk, the faster and more convenient it will be.
--
	Charles Brown	charles@cv.hp.com or charles%hpcvca@hplabs.hp.com
			or hplabs!hpcvca!charles or "Hey you!"

alh@hprmokg.HP.COM (Al Harrington) (06/14/90)

I just did a 'du' on my TeX directory (I loaded everything) and it
takes up 12 megs.  You could get buy with less than that if you cut
out some of the fonts and utils that you don't use.  I'm pretty sure
that I compressed (PowerPacker) most of the TeX binaries too.

---
   Al Harrington
      ARPA: alh@hprmo.HP.COM
      UUCP: ..{hplabs,hp-sde}!hprmo!alh

      ** My comments do not reflect the views of my employer **