[comp.sys.amiga] Piracy and BBSs

jones@uv4.eglin.af.mil (Calvin Jones, III) (06/14/90)

"saify.lanewala" <saify@cbnewsl.att.com> writes:

In article (Calvin Jones, III) writes:
 [ responding to my earlier post re piracy]
 [We tend to agree that some BBSs (at least) are legit.]

> I would suppose that there are potential difficulties with ftp sites,
> except that access to such sites requires a few more resources than the
> average BBS.

I'd suspect that the main reason that FTP sites are "less vulnerable" is
that users realize that the organizations that run the sites have enough
resources available (Money, legal staff, technical staff) to identify
and prosecute anyone who posts non-distributable software.  It's
unlikely that I'm going to take the time and effort to prosecute anyone
that posts something copyrighted to my BBS.

Just last night I got home from work and found (are you listening Jack!)
a copy of JRCOMM99o.lzh.  The docs for this file had "NON-PUBLIC Beta
99o" at the top of each page!  Yet the caller chose to upload it anyway.

Jack, can you tell your Gamma testers to keep the program to themselves!

> What are your thoughts on charging a fee for people to join a BBS?
> Lots of them do that right now.  My presumption is that a fee would
> restrict the amount of participation to "serious" folk.

If I charge ANY fee (or accept donations) for running my BBS it becomes
a business, and I don't have much of a leg to stand on as far as
claiming that I'm entitled to residential phone rates.  At least this is
the argument that I see going around the country.  Actually, if I were
to charge anything, I'd feel like I was entering into some sort of
contract (moral, if not legal) with my callers.  This would make me feel
obliged to provide some sort of service.  As it is now, the BBS is a
hobby, plain and simple. If it stops being fun, I can just pull the plug
and not feel the least bit of guilt.

(I don't even implement any up/download ratio... I just ask that callers
participate to help make sure the BBS continues to be a success.)

> Perhaps another way would be to advertise all the known pirate BBSes,
> so we can start boycotting them.  I'm sure that alone would not stop
> them, but it would send a message that we're serious about stopping
> software piracy.

I'm not sure whether this would be good or not.  First, if the BBS is
"known" to be a pirate BBS, why isn't it closed down?  If it is
SUSPECTED that the BBS is a pirate BBS, then one needs to be very
careful about making any accusations.  Perhaps the thing to do would be
to just post an un-edited screen snapshot that would allow a reader to
draw his own conclusions.

> Unfortunately, I think it's also going to require software developers
> to start providing "limited functionality" demos on selected sites/BBSes
> so that people can try before they buy.

A lot of companies do this, but there are drawbacks.  If you get a demo
of a program this way and have a question/problem who can you ask about
it?  If you were at a local store, the salesman could possibly explain
it to you (or at least let you look at the manual).  I'm not sure that
dealers would like this idea.  (But Mail Order places could end up
LOVING it!)

> As far as the ASP is concerned, they are a professional organization
> that attempts to monitor and control software piracy.  Perhaps the ASP
> could take the lead in this and distribute a newsletter periodically
> identifying problem software.  It's not ideal, but at least it would
> raise a flag.

I personally don't know of a single case where an individual running a
BBS at his house has ever been prosecuted for distributing copyright
software.  I suspect that if the ASP (SPA?) were to prosecute a few of
these cases and then make the details available via legitimate BBSs
(perhaps on a monthly basis) some of the pirate sysops might think
twice!

> As you mention, personal integrity is the key.  Much as I don't like
> copy-protected software, I can understand why we have it.

Agree, <sigh>!

> I want to emphasize again that I have no solutions, only opinions
> and questions.  I want to start some meaningful dialogue and search
> for possible ways out of this mess.  Most of all, I want us all to
> avoid flaming each other, because it invariably causes the discussions
> to go off on a tangent.

No flames from me!  I'd just like to see the problem solved. (Maybe I
need to start charging Jack a dollar for every copy of JRCOMM99? that I
remove from my BBS <GRIN>)

   --- Cal
           ____
 HOBBIT   / / /  340 Meg Online
  HOLE   / / /  12/24/9600HST bps                   AMIGA:
  ____  / / /  Exclusively   Amiga
  \ \ \/ / /  "Best Amiga BBS in FL"    The computer for the BEST of us!
   \ \ \/ /  July, 1989 Final List(tm)
    \_\_\/  A comfortable place to meet
 Cal Jones, Sysop.  904-243-6219  24Hrs