[comp.sys.amiga] M.C.S. Mail order -- Nightmare

ragg0270@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Richard Alan Gerber) (05/25/90)

In article <1990May23.162251.8748@cbnewsl.att.com> saify@cbnewsl.att.com (saify.lanewala) writes:
>In article <1990May19.034453.6789@altitude.CAM.ORG>, theberge@altitude.CAM.ORG (Andre Theberge) writes:

[lots of bad stuff about MCS and a good comment about Go Amigo deleted]

I just ordered some software and hardware from Safe Harbour and all I can say is
WOW! I am impressed. I called in my order Monday afternoon and received my
order Thursday. The person I spoke to was friendly, honest and knowledgable.
She told me that they didn't have the software I wanted in stock, but that
could probably get it the next day and would call me if they couldn't.

Maybe I've just been unlucky, but this is the first mail order product I've
ever received in less than two weeks. And after being lied to and
told things were in stock and had been "shipped yesterday" on the phone
by other companies,
this was quite a pleasant surprise.

I know this is based on only one experience, but I would recommend them
highly.

RIchard

In article <1990May19.034453.6789@altitude.CAM.ORG> theberge@altitude.CAM.ORG (Andre Theberge) writes:

>	I would like to share with you my nightmare with an American mail-order
>company, selling Amiga products. The company's name is M.C.S., they are located
>at 12868 Farmington Rd., in Michigan and they have one-page ads in many Amiga
>magazines. For those of you looking to do business with this company, better
>read on...
[rest omitted]

Those folks are in _gross_ violation of the law.  Contact any US Post Office
Postmaster  [ Postmaster City State Zip], probably best the one in the town
where they do business, with a description of the problem, and ask for help
in contacting the US Postal Inspector's Office.  The US Postal Service is
_death_ on mail fraud, and if you can document your claims (photocopies,
cancelled checks, phone logs), you will have your money back or somebody will
be in jail.  The Post Office considers this a personal affront to the dignity
of the whole system, and they advertise widely to ask you to come to them for
help in situations like this.

Also, complaining on the net loud and often helps.  Some friends and I helped
put one sleazeball outfit out of business by letting the net help us spread
the word.  Likewise, mail a copy of your complaint to the magazines where
these slime advertise; magazines do _not_ like to carry ads from firms who
commit postal fraud; perhaps the magazines share liability, I don't know.

Kent, the man from xanth, postal employee's brat.

inspector

dwl10@uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) (06/01/90)

In article <1990Jun1.103955.2360@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>In article <1990May19.034453.6789@altitude.CAM.ORG> theberge@altitude.CAM.ORG (Andre Theberge) writes:
            Likewise, mail a copy of your complaint to the magazines where
>these slime advertise; magazines do _not_ like to carry ads from firms who
>commit postal fraud; perhaps the magazines share liability, I don't know.

If this were true, then why does Montgomery Grant still advertize
in Amiga world???

--
"This ain't Rock 'N Roll, |  These be my words, not my employer's!
 this is Genocide!"       |Dave Lowrey - Amdahl Corp. - Houston, TX

dailey@cpsin2.uucp (Chris Dailey) (06/06/90)

In article <1990Jun1.103955.2360@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>In article <1990May19.034453.6789@altitude.CAM.ORG> theberge@altitude.CAM.ORG (Andre Theberge) writes:
>>
>>	I would like to share with you my nightmare with an American mail-order
>>company, selling Amiga products. The company's name is M.C.S., they are located
>>at 12868 Farmington Rd., in Michigan and they have one-page ads in many Amiga
>>magazines. For those of you looking to do business with this company, better
>>read on...
>[rest omitted]
>Those folks are in _gross_ violation of the law.  Contact any US Post Office
[...]

I ordered a Panasonic 1124 printer from them a year ago.  I called and
they said that they were getting another batch in on Friday and if I
sent my money in I'd be put on the list and get one of the ones coming
in on that batch.  I sent my money in THAT DAY's mail.  Two months and
many phone calls later, I received my printer.  I'd suggest you stay
away from these guys.

>Kent, the man from xanth, postal employee's brat.
--
  /~\  Chris Dailey   (CPS Undergrad, SOC Lab Coord, AMIG user group Secretary)
 C oo  dailey@cpsin1.cps.msu.edu  (subliminal message-make WP5.1 for the Amiga)

kudla@pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) (06/14/90)

I'm afraid I have to concur with these last two posts warning people
away from MCS. When I first bought my Amiga, I purchased a Phoenix
drive from them. They told me eight to ten weeks. Fine, I said.
Unfortunately, the credit card company I was using will not deal with
disputes older than 60 days. So when three months went by and they
didn't deliver, then said they'd lost my record, I tried to do
something and basically, after all was said and done (took about a
year, probably fifty phone calls, a dozen letters, and whatnot) I was
screwed out of $200. Soured me on mail order for anything I can get
locally...
--
Robert Jude Kudla  <kudla@pawl.rpi.edu>

           Throw out your gold teeth and see how they roll;
               the answer they reveal: life is unreal.