[comp.sys.amiga] Commodore Developers' Support

Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com (06/14/90)

I was going to write to Commodore directly with these questions and then
realized perhaps by discussing it first with other developers and finding
out if these are widespread problems, finding out if there are other
questions people would like to ask, etc. might be worthwhile.

Commodore doesn't provide any notices stating that Developer's fees are due.
Seems to me that lost revenues from nonrenewals would be greater than costs
of a single sheet renewal reminder and request for payment.  (Plus there's
the issue of making developers feel that Commodore is interested in them.)

Commodore has never posted any specific information on who to contact, or
whether they have any interest in proposals for standards.  I know they
worked with EA on IFF standards.  I know they adopted Interactive Softworks'
Colortext as a standard for multicolor fonts, but, what I don't know is
the correct person, procedure for standard proposals.  I see some crucial
problems developing which will limit international distribution of Amiga
hardware/software which is fairly easily preventable.

I have other questions/proposals, but thought I'd start with this and see if
there is interest in discussing these topics.
                                               Julie (LadyHawke)

cmcmanis@stpeter.Eng.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) (06/15/90)

In article <30767@cup.portal.com> Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com writes:
->Commodore doesn't provide any notices stating that Developer's fees are due.
->Seems to me that lost revenues from nonrenewals would be greater than costs
->of a single sheet renewal reminder and request for payment.  (Plus there's
->the issue of making developers feel that Commodore is interested in them.)

Hmmm, I just got my "It's time to renew your Developer status" packet with
questionairres(sp?) on products I'm shipping and my staffing levels. You
may want to check to see if they have the correct name/address on file
for you. Are you getting your AmigaMails? Did you get the latest one with
the example shared library build out of C code?

>Commodore has never posted any specific information on who to contact, or
>whether they have any interest in proposals for standards.  I know they
>worked with EA on IFF standards.  I know they adopted Interactive Softworks'
>Colortext as a standard for multicolor fonts, but, what I don't know is
>the correct person, procedure for standard proposals.  I see some crucial
>problems developing which will limit international distribution of Amiga
>hardware/software which is fairly easily preventable.

This kind of stuff goes on, on BIX, all of the time. At one point C/A
made clear that BIX was _the_ place to generate/talk to the CATS staff.
Carolyn has continually solicited fully documented IFF FORM/CHUNK etc
proposals on BIX and Usenet. Try sending her mail directly. Sometimes
she "adopts" your suggestion without notifying you. (See my version
of the ILBMDump code in the RKM:Includes and AutoDocs). But that is
just because she is busy.

>I have other questions/proposals, but thought I'd start with this and see if
>there is interest in discussing these topics.

You can send them to cbmvax!suggestions (or suggestions@cbmvax.cbm.COM)
but for good feedback you should really get on BIX.

--
--Chuck McManis						    Sun Microsystems
uucp: {anywhere}!sun!cmcmanis   BIX: <none>   Internet: cmcmanis@Eng.Sun.COM