[comp.sys.amiga] REPOST: EMAIL SURVEY... Graph plotting on Amiga

BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz (06/09/90)

REPOST:
PLEASE DO NOT REPLY IF ALREADY RESPONDED TO PREVIOUS POSTING

I would like some idea of the number of people who would use/are
using an Amiga based graph plotting program.

While the results of this survey will not affect the forthcoming
release of Multiplot XLN, it will affect my decision on whether
or not to attempt a few of the more difficult requests I have
recieved.

My observation is that on the MAC, Cricket Graph is the most often
used plotting program. It appears to have have had very few revisions
over the last 6 years, so I assume it has not sold well. I am also
somewhat surprised at never having recieved a non-beta bug report
for Multiplot... I'm sure it is not because of the absolute absence
of bugs. It occurred to me that it may be because no-one actually
uses it.

Given the enormous investment in time that has gone into Multiplot
(when you see the next version you'll see what I mean) I am keen to
know if anyone gives a stuff.

SO:

Please email me if you have a use for a graph plotting program.
Please name the program if you are already using one (Amiga only,
thanks)

I will post the results (if any!).

Regards Alan

kowal@stsci.EDU (Charles Kowal) (06/14/90)

I just discovered MultiPlot a couple of weeks ago, and I am extremely
pleased with it.  It is exactly what I need.
My office colleagues mostly use Macs, mostly with Cricket Graph.  My
impression is that MultiPlot is much easier to use than Cricket, though
Cricket has more features.
The main enhancement I would like to see is the ability to place text
anywhere within a plot.  It would be nice to be able to label points
within a plot.
I eagerly await the next version of MultiPlot.  Mr. Baxter, rest assured
that your program is used and appreciated!

                                                --- Charles Kowal
                                                    kowal@stsci.edu

.

panon@cheddar.ucs.ubc.ca (Paul-Andre Panon) (06/15/90)

In article <8801@wehi.dn.mu.oz> BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz writes:

>Please email me if you have a use for a graph plotting program.
>Please name the program if you are already using one (Amiga only,
>thanks)
>
>I will post the results (if any!).
>
>Regards Alan

 I was looking for a plotting program about two years ago and couldn't find
anything at the time. I tried porting an early version of GNUplot but it
didn't at all do what I wanted (to plot data in fact very much the way
MultiPlot does it).

 That said, having looked at a recent copy of multiplot on an A2000 here
recently, I noticed that the title in one of the demo graphs doesn't get
displayed properly. The labels do, but not the title. Tsk, tsk :-) :-)

Otherwise, it looks like a very nice start and the various possible
output formats Mr. Baxter chose seem like a very good start/selection.

It's too bad I don't need to plot stuff anymore (the course is over).

While I'm on the subject of graphics, the Post11.lzh file in incoming/amiga
on xanth is truncated. The program is there but the source got snipped off.
Would whoever uploaded it there initially please do so again?

P.S. although lharc seemed to survive unpacking the archive with but a slight
hiccup at the end, LhArcA0.99c bit the big one with an endless, unbreakable
loop of CRC errors while trying to just open the archive. Big tsk, tsk.

--
    Paul-Andre_Panon@staff.ucs.ubc.ca        or    USERPAP1@UBCMTSG
or  Paul-Andre_Panon@undergrad.cs.ubc.ca     or    USERPAP1@mtsg.ubc.ca