[comp.sys.amiga] TGA to HAM

addison@pollux.usc.edu (Richard Addison) (06/12/90)

I know this sort of thing comes up often, but as can happen in a very
active newsgroup, I didn't follow the discussion closely before because
it wasn't relative to my needs at the time.

I'm looking for recommendations for programs that convert true-color
images (12 bits-per-pixel or better) to HAM IFF ILBM files.  My target
size (and source) are 320 by 400 images.  I desire the highest quality
conversion.  This is the most important item, though I'd also like to
be able to control the program from a CLI command line or through an
AREXX port.

Currently the files are in TGA format, but I have the means to do format
shuffling to other true-color formats.  Going to HAM, though, requires
a bit more work.  I can do it now, but I am hoping for better results.

I am arare of the various Sliced-HAM and Dynamic-HAM modes that play
with the copper lists.  I'd like to avoid these if possible because of
the additional bandwidth required for display.  If such a Copper-HAM
mode conversion provides me with significantly better pictures, however,
I'd consider using it.

I'd like recommendations for PD, shareware, and commercial conversion
programs.  I have ftp access, so I can grap the PD conversion programs
that are recommended for testing.  For a commercial recommendation,
I'd like to hear how it compares to other conversion programs.

Feel free to post (if it's not too redundant) or send email.  I'll
summarize what I see in email and what my choice is.  Obviously,
the choice will depend, in part, on the images I have.

Thanks!

--Richard Addison

perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) (06/15/90)

In article <25253@usc.edu> addison@pollux.usc.edu (Richard Addison) writes:
>I'm looking for recommendations for programs that convert true-color
>images (12 bits-per-pixel or better) to HAM IFF ILBM files.  My target
>size (and source) are 320 by 400 images.  I desire the highest quality
>conversion.

I, of course, suggest The Art Department. Brad Schenk, a 24 bit-plane
artist of  the first rank, covers TAD in his first column in the next
issue of Info. Look for his review there.

Our TGA module supports formats 1, 2, 9 and 10 as well as some others
which are less common. Any supported number of bit-planes are supported
by this module.

We are about to release our TIF module which supports Intel and Motorola
byte orders, Fax formats, NEXT and PIXAR formats, and just about every
other odd quirk in the TIF standard.

pk

--
Perry Kivolowitz, ASDG Inc. ``We look for things. Things that make us go.''
	UUCP:  {harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!perry