[comp.sys.amiga] DIGIVIEW, Professional Page , RGB and Resep

keith@actrix.co.nz (Keith Stewart) (06/13/90)

First full posting (I have been practicing with Stevie)
I am looking for help so to accomplish the following tasks:

(1) Digitise a colour photograph with DIGIVIEW 4.0
(2) Save the file in the RGBIFF format as per manual
(3) Assuming this form gives me more colurs than the 4096 available
    in the HAM format, insert the picture file into a PPAGE Postscript
    file.

The PPAGE manual mentions that you can use ReSep from ASDG to insert a
sixteen million colour file into a PPAGE Postscript output. Can ReSep do
the same with the DIGIVIEW RGBIFF file?
I intend to send the Postscript file to a commercial shop to produce colour
separation

If ReSep cannot soory if it can where can i get it but if it can not
is there another method of using DIGIVIEW to get more than 4096 colour pics
into my PPAGE Postscript files
As usual but sincerely thanks in advance

perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) (06/15/90)

In article <1990Jun13.051113.15021@actrix.co.nz> keith@actrix.co.nz (Keith Stewart) writes:
>First full posting (I have been practicing with Stevie)
>I am looking for help so to accomplish the following tasks:
>
>(1) Digitise a colour photograph with DIGIVIEW 4.0
>(2) Save the file in the RGBIFF format as per manual
>(3) Assuming this form gives me more colurs than the 4096 available
>    in the HAM format, insert the picture file into a PPAGE Postscript
>    file.
>
>The PPAGE manual mentions that you can use ReSep from ASDG to insert a
>sixteen million colour file into a PPAGE Postscript output. Can ReSep do
>the same with the DIGIVIEW RGBIFF file?
>I intend to send the Postscript file to a commercial shop to produce colour
>separation

Here's how you can accomplish what you want...

(1) Your Step 1
(2) Your Step 2
(3) Load the 21 bit-plane image into The Art Department. Digi-view 3.0 and
    Digi-View 4.0 formats are supported with the loaders included in the
    basic TAD package.
(4) Color Balance within TAD...almost all files can stand a little brightness,
    gamma enhancement or contrast tweaks.
(5) Save a 16 color version of the file (for example, call it A).
(6) Execute a 24 bit-plane color separation (producing four files called,
    for example, A.cyn, A.yel, A.mag, A.blk).
(7) In Professional Page...load the 16 color picture A.
(8) Position, scale and crop A as you would any image in ProPage.
(9) Output a ProPage color separation to Disk (call it for example, PPG.PS).
(10) Load PPG.PS into ReSEP.
(11) Select any one of A.cyn, A.yel, A.blk, or A.mag as a replacement for
     A.
(12) Hit PROCESS in ReSEP, writing out a file called (for example) RSP.PS.

The file RSP.PS contains the complete page you designed in Professional Page
including the image A with all scaling, positioning, cropping, layering
preserved. A will have been replaced, however, by ReSEP with a 24 bit-plane
full color image.

The file RSP.PS can then be sent to any PostScript phototypesetter to
produce films. This is how many ads you see in Amiga mags were created
as well as many Amiga mags. Also, packaging such as the box for the
Art Department and ImageLink were create this way as well.

This may sound like a round about route but it reall is easy to do and...
it turns out that the techniques ASDG invented and got Gold Disk to support
turn out to be exactly the same type of techniques later released by Aldus
as the Open Pre Press Interface.

pk

--
Perry Kivolowitz, ASDG Inc. ``We look for things. Things that make us go.''
	UUCP:  {harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!perry