[comp.sys.amiga] '040 on the Amiga!

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) (06/09/90)

I don't know if it's vaporware or not, but in the latest AmigaWhirled
(a full page ad, I might mention):

RCS Management Announce
FUSION-FORTY
[...]
Feature:
68040 @ 25 Mhz
Built in MMU
Integer Unit performance of 20-27 MIPS
[...]
User object code Compatibility with all earlier MC 68000 microprocessors."

Then there's this chart that shows the 040 as kicking even the i486's butt.

The company is in Montreal, Qc. Canada.

Anybody heard of this company?  Are they legit?  How much?

Where's mine? :-)
--
J. Eric Townsend -- University of Houston Dept. of Mathematics (713) 749-2120
Internet: jet@uh.edu

6600mict@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Mark Rigby) (06/13/90)

   I saw the ad, too. I know nothing about it.
However, there is a blurb on the last page of the
same AmigaWorld that states that they have heard of
3000's w/040's in them from Commodore. That same
blurb states that the Commodre version in the 3000
runs at 10-15 MIPS (or something like that).
Interesting.

amhartma@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Andy Hartman (Amiga Man)) (06/13/90)

In article <5787@hub.ucsb.edu> 6600mict@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Mark Rigby) writes:

>   I saw the ad, too. I know nothing about it.
>However, there is a blurb on the last page of the
>same AmigaWorld that states that they have heard of
>3000's w/040's in them from Commodore. That same
>blurb states that the Commodre version in the 3000
>runs at 10-15 MIPS (or something like that).
	 ^^^^^^^^^^

I don't know why, but I somehow remember 20-25 MIPS (whatever the hell a MIP
is!)

>Interesting.

AMH

* Andy Hartman       | I'd deny half of this crap anyway!|        ///
* Indiana University |-----------------------------------|       ///
*++Construction++++++|   amhartma@silver.ucs.indiana.edu |   \\\///
*+++++++Zone+++++++++|   AMHARTMA@rose.ucs.indiana.edu   |    \XX/

Sylvain@speedy.CAM.ORG (Sylvain Tremblay) (06/15/90)

>In article <47514@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> amhartma@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Andy Hartman (Amiga Man)) writes:
>In article <5787@hub.ucsb.edu> 6600mict@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Mark Rigby) writes:
>>
>>   I saw the ad, too. I know nothing about it.
>>However, there is a blurb on the last page of the
>>same AmigaWorld that states that they have heard of
>>3000's w/040's in them from Commodore. That same
>>blurb states that the Commodre version in the 3000
>>runs at 10-15 MIPS (or something like that).
>	 ^^^^^^^^^^
>
>I don't know why, but I somehow remember 20-25 MIPS (whatever the hell a MIP
>is!)

A MIPS is a Million Instructions Per Second

--
Sylvain
                                                                   __

king@motcid.UUCP (Steven King) (06/15/90)

In article <47514@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> amhartma@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Andy Hartman (Amiga Man)) writes:
>I don't know why, but I somehow remember 20-25 MIPS (whatever the hell a MIP
>is!)

"MIPS" stands for "Million Instructions Per Second" and is a rough
approximation of processor power.  I consider it about as useful as I
consider source lines of code (SLOC) useful to measure programmer
productivity.  That is, somewhat useful but potentially very misleading.

--
---------------------------------------------------+---------------------------
You don't know how much you don't know until       | Steve King  (708) 991-8056

rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) (06/15/90)

In article <3528@grape3.UUCP> king@motcid.UUCP (Steven King) writes:
>In article <47514@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> amhartma@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Andy Hartman (Amiga Man)) writes:
>>I don't know why, but I somehow remember 20-25 MIPS (whatever the hell a MIP
>>is!)
>
>"MIPS" stands for "Million Instructions Per Second" and is a rough
>approximation of processor power.

Very rough.  I think of it as "Meaningless Indicator of Processor Speed",
personally.

>  I consider it about as useful as I
>consider source lines of code (SLOC) useful to measure programmer
>productivity.

I use COMDPH (Cans Of Mountain Dew Per Hour) figures for myself...
Or MSNRN (Minutes Spent Not Reading News)...
--
   >>"Aaiiyeeee!  Death from above!"<<     | (Steve) rehrauer@apollo.hp.com
"Spontaneous human combustion - what luck!"| Apollo Computer (Hewlett-Packard)