[comp.sys.amiga] Disgusted...

amhartma@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Amiga Man) (06/14/90)

Tonight, I saw something I just couldn't believe.  Open up this month's (July)
Amiga World to page 17.  There is an ad for GEnie.  Taking up 1/2 of the page
is an APPLE!!!  I don't understand why AW would put this in an Amiga book.

This is just rediculous.

Oh well, just wanted to blow off some steam.  Summer finals tomorrow!

AMH

* Andy Hartman       | I'd deny half of this crap anyway!|        ///
* Indiana University |-----------------------------------|       ///
*++Construction++++++|   amhartma@silver.ucs.indiana.edu |   \\\///
*+++++++Zone+++++++++|   AMHARTMA@rose.ucs.indiana.edu   |    \XX/

bscott@nyx.UUCP (Ben Scott) (06/15/90)

In article <47612@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> amhartma@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Amiga Man) writes:
>Tonight, I saw something I just couldn't believe.  Open up this month's (July)
>Amiga World to page 17.  There is an ad for GEnie.  Taking up 1/2 of the page
>is an APPLE!!!  I don't understand why AW would put this in an Amiga book.

Yeah, I thought this was a particularly well-executed goof...

But on the subject of advertising - I've been seeing what appears to be a new
series of Amiga ads on TV lately.  It starts with pieces of the "Stevie" ads
shown last year (doesn't C= know they're infringing on the name of an editor?)
but continues with "That was the soft sell - this is the hard sell.  For a
limited time..." and goes on to describe a "$250" (?) freebie package being
sold with Amigas now including the A520 adapter, Textcraft +, Carmen SanDiego,
and Tetris (the latter actually seems a good idea, considering the Nintendo
Gameboy ads!).  Not really the best (the Video package has ProVideo, DPaint III
and Sculpt 4D - a much better package, but they're not advertising IT...), but
it's nice to see the Amiga on TV again.

I've seen it two nights in a row on the local ABC affiliate during or just
before the MASH rerun which is on around 11:PM.  I barely saw any of them
during the so-called media blitz last year... all on FOX.

.                              <<<<Infinite K>>>>

.---------------------------------------------------------------------------.
|Ben Scott, professional goof-off and consultant at The Raster Image, Denver|
|Amiga UUCP node: ...!uunet!isis!nyx!orac!bscott  Else: bscott@nyx.cs.du.edu|
|FIDO point address 1:104/421.2, or call the Arvada 68K BBS at (303)424-9831|
|"Don't embarrass us..."  "Have I ever?" - Buckaroo Banzai  | *AMIGA POWER* |
`---------------------------------------------------------------------------'

cmcmanis@stpeter.Eng.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) (06/16/90)

In article <1305@nyx.UUCP> bscott@nyx.UUCP (Ben Scott) writes:
>Yeah, I thought this was a particularly well-executed goof...

So what is the big deal? All this means is that some of Apple's humongous
advertising budget is going to support magazines that promote the Amiga.
That is a _good_ strategy because the Amiga magazines need ad revenue to
keep their doors open. So what if someone picks up Amiga World and sees
an ad for Apple, presumably this isn't their first exposure to the idea
that people other than Commodore make personal computers. :-).

The only time accepting such advertising would be a mistake is when
it would cause people to check out the other product and possibly
buy it. Since that isn't as likely in the Amiga case your fine, now
and Amiga ad appearing in MacWorld could be useful given the same
reasoning.

No, I'm much more upset with the Apple television Ads that imply any
computer besides a Macintosh is unusable as a computer. That is
bogus to the extreme and makes me wonder why they have to use "big lie"
tactics to get sales. But that is a different subject altogether.

--
--Chuck McManis						    Sun Microsystems
uucp: {anywhere}!sun!cmcmanis   BIX: <none>   Internet: cmcmanis@Eng.Sun.COM