[comp.sys.amiga] Commodore CDTV

rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) (06/16/90)

In article <137383@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> cmcmanis@stpeter.Eng.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) writes:
>In article <697.2678CF7F@weyr.FIDONET.ORG> (Vince Cleniuk) writes:
>>Another question, if/when C= releases the Amiga CD Rom 'Entertainment
>>Unit' (or whatever), won't it just re-affirm the 'C= only makes game
>>machines' image that Commodore doesn't need?
>
>This is a marketing/positioning question. What if Commodore marketed
>the "Commodore Entertainment Machine, from the people who brought
>you the Commodore 64" This would not be confused with "The Amiga
>Computer, your choice for multimedia and computing in the 90's."
>The only problem arises if they try to make the CDTV box an "Amiga"
>which it isn't. I would much rather they position it as a thing
>like a C64 that, given some peripherals and such, can run some
>Amiga software like games."

Hmmm, they'd probably be better to position it as a new class of consumer
entertainment box, and try to convince VCR / camcorder / laser-disc owners
that they need a new "toy".  After all, if it's a self-contained box, why
does/should the average dweeb care what the box contains?  Zillions of
people buy stereos, TVs, VCRs, camcorders, etc; relatively very few have
been convinced that they need a computer (and probably fewer still actually
wanted one :-).

If _I_ were the C= marketing dude on tap, I'd make sure that "computer" and
"software" ne'er appeared anywhere in the literature on it.  That I'd
reserve for a basic CD-ROM drive, which C= would presumably also be selling.
Of course, I don't know if Commodore wants to or is capable of selling and
supporting something positioned as a more traditional consumer-electronics
type of toaster.
--
   >>"Aaiiyeeee!  Death from above!"<<     | (Steve) rehrauer@apollo.hp.com
"Spontaneous human combustion - what luck!"| Apollo Computer (Hewlett-Packard)