[comp.sys.amiga] Falcon Weirdness

dbuchtal@math.lsa.umich.edu (Dave Buchthal) (06/05/90)

I just installed Falcon on my Supra HD (it is code-wheel
copy protected.)  However, when I run Falcon, the drive
light for df0: comes on with every access to my HD, and
if I do not have a disk in df0:, the disk operation fails
on the HD.  Has anyone else seen this before?  Am I doing
something wrong?

Dave Buchthal

kosma%human-torch@stc.lockheed.com (Monty Kosma) (06/06/90)

I had this happen with the old (v 1.0) version of falcon.  I just put a
blank disk (unformatted even!) in the drive and Falcon ran with no problems.
probably there's a "DF0" embedded in the code that could be taken out
with a disk zap utility.  But, if you are running v1.0, you really ought to
get v 1.1 (or better, the mission disk) which runs off the hard drive
much more cleanly, and has lots of other nice things about it.

mlelias@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Mike Elias (Mighty Amigo) Systems Analysis) (06/06/90)

In article <1990Jun5.060504.21340@math.lsa.umich.edu>, dbuchtal@math.lsa.umich.edu (Dave Buchthal) writes:
> I just installed Falcon on my Supra HD (it is code-wheel
> copy protected.)  However, when I run Falcon, the drive
> light for df0: comes on with every access to my HD, and
> if I do not have a disk in df0:, the disk operation fails
> on the HD.  Has anyone else seen this before?  Am I doing
> something wrong?
>
> Dave Buchthal

	Dave,

	Sounds like you need to do an ASSIGN. Find out what the name of the
floppy disk is, then assign the disk name to the directory in which you placed
Falcon in on your hard drive.

		Hope this helps...

Amigoids do it Multi-tasking!/ Mike Elias     Mlelias@Miavx1.Bitnet
Science Fiction forever, Harlequin's, never!/ Miami University of
I got a ticket to Pern!!/                     Oxford, Oh.

test@sparc1 (06/16/90)

     You have an older copy of Falcon, before they made it entirely HD-install-
able.  If you send Spectrum Holobyte your original Program Disk 1 and $7.50,
they'll send you the revised version.

Dave Witzany
witzany@sparc1.isgs.uiuc.edu

jimb@faatcrl.UUCP (Jim Burwell) (06/16/90)

test@sparc1 writes:

>     You have an older copy of Falcon, before they made it entirely HD-install-
>able.  If you send Spectrum Holobyte your original Program Disk 1 and $7.50,
>they'll send you the revised version.

FYI:  I just got off the phone with Spectrum Holobyte, and they also have
an upgrade to FalconMission to fix primarily the "mouse diving" bug.  I
fly Falcon in mouse 2 mode, since flying a flight simulator with a switch-type
joystick is a joke, IMHO.  The mouse gives you smooth, variable control
surface deflection, and generally works great.  But there's a bug in the input
code (or flight code maybe) which limits your nose-down stick force.  At
high speeds (Mach 1+), I can't even pull 1 negative G when I push the stick
all the way forward.  It's a little better, but not much, when you're going
slower.  I usually wind up rolling inverted, pulling on the stick, then
rolling back when my nose is in position (for fireing, say).  The upgrade
fixes this problem.

BTW, a jet fighter pilot friend of mine says he gets great results with
Falcon and a Gravis Mouse-Stick.  He says it flys just like a real jet, and
really increases his ability to maneuver.

Oh yeah..  To get the upgrade, they told me to send my Operation Counterstrike
disk, a note explaining what I want, and three dollars for S&H of the disk
to:

Spectrum Holobyte
2061 Challenger Drive
Alemeda, CA 94501

ATTN:  Customer Support

C'ya,
Jim

--
UUCP:  ...!rutgers!faatcrl!jimb              Internet:  jimb@faatcrl.UUCP
The difference between science and the fuzzy subjects is that science