[comp.sys.amiga] Erasable optical drive

a218@mindlink.UUCP (Charlie Gibbs) (05/30/90)

At work we receive Direct Access ("For Canada's information systems
professionals").  While reading the current issue (Vol. 6, No. 10,
May 25, 1990), I was pleased to notice that they acknowledge the
existence of the Amiga, with references to it in such things as
articles on viruses, etc.  They also included the following article:

OPTICAL DRIVE FOR THE AMIGA 2000

An eraseable magneto-optical disk drive which is compatible with
the Commodore Amiga 2000 has been released by Xyxis Corp. of
Minneapolis, Mn. and distributed in Canada by Sak Data Products
Ltd. of Mississauga, Ont.

Called the Xyxis XY600RW, it is a high-density drive which is
accessed through an Amiga 2090 or 2090A SCSI interface board.

According to the firm, the Amiga can be booted directly from the
optical drive and the software supports AmigaDOS 1.3.

Each 5.25-inch industry-standard ISO format cartridge stores up
to 600 Mbytes of information.

The cartridge can be erased more than one million times, the firm
claims.

It can be removed from the drive for security or portability.

Interfaces to the Apple Macintosh, IBM AT and PS/2 are also
available for the XY600RW.

List price: $8,580.

--
Charlie_Gibbs@mindlink.UUCP
For every vision there is an equal and opposite revision.

wizard@sosaria.imp.com (Chris Brand) (06/03/90)

In article <1950@mindlink.UUCP> a218@mindlink.UUCP (Charlie Gibbs) says:

> Each 5.25-inch industry-standard ISO format cartridge stores up
> to 600 Mbytes of information.

I have a question there not exactly concerning the Amiga, so please forgive
me to ask it here:

The largest optical drive I heard of until now can save 1.2 gigabytes. Now,
what is the limit of disk space with very big computers (cray? :-)?

--
------------------------------------
Chris Brand - wizard@sosaria.imp.com

kosma%human-torch@stc.lockheed.com (Monty Kosma) (06/05/90)

Our connection machine has 50 gigabytes of hard disk (and we have the
biggest CM datavault installation in the world right now).

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (06/05/90)

In article <4574.AA4574@sosaria> wizard@sosaria.imp.com (Chris Brand) writes:
>In article <1950@mindlink.UUCP> a218@mindlink.UUCP (Charlie Gibbs) says:
>
>> Each 5.25-inch industry-standard ISO format cartridge stores up
>> to 600 Mbytes of information.
>
>I have a question there not exactly concerning the Amiga, so please forgive
>me to ask it here:
>
>The largest optical drive I heard of until now can save 1.2 gigabytes. Now,
>what is the limit of disk space with very big computers (cray? :-)?

E-Systems here in Garland together with Ampex Corp. of Redwood City, CA is
putting the finishing touches on a data storage system that is controlled
by a Convex supercomputer and stores 1.1 terabytes.  This system is supposed
to be released sometime next year.  This is their baseline system.  The more
elaborite systems they are planning will store petabytes.

The storage on supers and mainframes is pretty much $$-limited.
If you can afford the storage, vendors will probably figure out
a way to hook it up to the machine  ;^).

--
            _.
--Steve   ._||__      DISCLAIMER: All opinions are my own.

bscott@nyx.UUCP (Ben Scott) (06/06/90)

In article <21013@snow-white.udel.EDU> kosma%human-torch@stc.lockheed.com (Monty Kosma) writes:
>Our connection machine has 50 gigabytes of hard disk (and we have the

I'd hate to have to back THAT up to floppy... (sorry couldn't resist)

(more) seriously, does anyone know how many tape backup packages are out or
in the making for the Amiga?  I personally know of one major one in the works
and have reliably heard of two more LOCALLY.  I'm beginning to wonder if there's
an epidemic going on.

Also, I remember the thread on the VCR backup, but it seems to have died out.
Why isn't there one of these little gadgets coming for the Amiga?  With the
exception of the slight problem in READING it back in it sounds like an easy
enough device to implement.  And with the huge market penetration of VCRs it
would be very popular if marketed properly.

.                           <<<<Infinite K>>>>

--
|Ben Scott, professional goof-off and consultant at The Raster Image, Denver|
|Internet bscott@nyx.cs.du.edu, FIDO 1:104/421.2 or Arvada 68K (303)424-9831|

In <1267@nyx.UUCP>, bscott@nyx.UUCP (Ben Scott) writes:
>In article <21013@snow-white.udel.EDU> kosma%human-torch@stc.lockheed.com (Monty Kosma) writes:
>>Our connection machine has 50 gigabytes of hard disk (and we have the
>
>I'd hate to have to back THAT up to floppy... (sorry couldn't resist)

Hell, I'd hate to back that up to 2 Gigabyte 8mm media!

>(more) seriously, does anyone know how many tape backup packages are out or
>in the making for the Amiga?  I personally know of one major one in the works
>and have reliably heard of two more LOCALLY.  I'm beginning to wonder if there's
>an epidemic going on.

Count one here... and yes, it's an epidemic, I'm sure. I found what I _think_
is the last of the bugs in the restore program last night, and if the crash I
am getting with backing up one particular directory is due to the disk
contents, then the backup part is done too. At any rate, I will be releasing it
within two weeks, probably one week.

>Also, I remember the thread on the VCR backup, but it seems to have died out.
>Why isn't there one of these little gadgets coming for the Amiga?  With the
>exception of the slight problem in READING it back in it sounds like an easy
>enough device to implement.  And with the huge market penetration of VCRs it
>would be very popular if marketed properly.

It is FAR, FAR easier to back up to a proper SCSI tape drive than to a VCR.
There are some inordinately difficult problems with getting a reliable backup
and restore from consumer video grade hardware.

-larry

--
The raytracer of justice recurses slowly, but it renders exceedingly fine.

kosma%human-torch@stc.lockheed.com (Monty Kosma) (06/09/90)

   From: Larry Phillips <lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca>
   Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
   Date: 6 Jun 90 11:05:18 GMT
   Arpa: usenet@udel.EDU,  UUCP: ...{harv <usenet@ee.udel.edu>
   Sender: amiga-relay-request@udel.edu

   In <1267@nyx.UUCP>, bscott@nyx.UUCP (Ben Scott) writes:
   >In article <21013@snow-white.udel.EDU> kosma%human-torch@stc.lockheed.com (Monty Kosma) writes:
   >>Our connection machine has 50 gigabytes of hard disk (and we have the
   >
   >I'd hate to have to back THAT up to floppy... (sorry couldn't resist)

   Hell, I'd hate to back that up to 2 Gigabyte 8mm media!

actually, funny you mention that, beacuse I do use a tape staging unit
as sort of a "virtual disk" (and the disk is sort of a "virtual RAM"...)--
we have a StorageTek tape unit which writes onto these 200MB tapes (wish
it used 2GB tapes!), but at least its transfer rate is (very) high...
With this setup I can do problems which go up to around two rank 80000
(dense!) double precision complex matrixes, and that just about fills
up 1000 tapes...

wizard@sosaria.imp.com (Chris Brand) (06/09/90)

In article <102799@convex.convex.com> swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) says:
> The storage on supers and mainframes is pretty much $$-limited.
> If you can afford the storage, vendors will probably figure out
> a way to hook it up to the machine  ;^).

One way to get large storage seems be hooking together several drives so
that they are treated like one by the OS.  Is this somehow possible with it
Amiga?

--
------------------------------------
Chris Brand - wizard@sosaria.imp.com
"Justice is the possession and doing
of what one is entitled to" - Platon
------------------------------------

FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) (06/16/90)

Chris Brand asked about what IBM mainframe people call DASD.  Direct
Access Storage Device.  Anyway, on mainframes, the file system doesn't
know hwwhat the underlying disk looks like.  So files can bridge devices
without any problem.  I don't think the Amiga file system can support
this now.  Am I mistaken?  If the files are limited to the device size,
are there plans to fix this in future OS releases?

Dana Bourgeois @ cup.portal.com

** this is a question based on idle curiosity.  *I* don't have any files
   larger than, oh, 100 megabytes.

cmcmanis@stpeter.Eng.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) (06/16/90)

In article <30810@cup.portal.com> (Dana B Bourgeois) writes:
>...  I don't think the Amiga file system can support
>this now.  Am I mistaken?  If the files are limited to the device size,
>are there plans to fix this in future OS releases?

A little bit. The Amiga Disk I/O subsystem is structured as a series
of layers, the top most is the file system handler which sends and
receives DOS packets to applications, the next level down is the
device driver which communicates with it's clients via exec messages.

The current filesystem handler has a one to one correspondence between
the device it is controlling and filesystem it places there. However,
there is no reason one couldn't write a filesystem handler that
uses several devices to actually store the data, or several instances
of media from one device to store the data. Consider a "virtual"
hard disk which was actually stored on 20 floppy disks. The handler
would have to periodically have to put up a requester asking for
a different disk but the concept is possible. Applications would
be able to use this funky disk because I they do is talk the handler
packet protocol which is the "same" for all file system handlers.

Additionally, the handler could be left alone and some smarts could
be placed into a scsi device driver that would create a virtual
disk out of 2 or more physical disks. This is how some people build
fault tolerant disk drives for PC's and such, generally they take
it a step further and have a SCSI interface with some firmware which
exports the SCSI protocol etc etc.

Anyway, the answer is that the OS supports the concept, the handlers
and device drivers that are currently shipped do not. However, there
are legitimate ways to replace the shipped handlers and device
drivers to "bolt" on the capability in an OS friendly way.

--
--Chuck McManis						    Sun Microsystems
uucp: {anywhere}!sun!cmcmanis   BIX: <none>   Internet: cmcmanis@Eng.Sun.COM