[comp.sys.amiga] COmmunication between Sun - Amiga, an idea?

d88-mbe@sm.luth.se (Michael Bergman) (06/14/90)

This article is somewhat related to another I posted at the same time (the
one about DNet 2.10).

I have this idea I'd like to start a discussion around...

Communication between Sun and Amiga is for me (and my friends) an interesting
issue since we don't have PC:s or Mac:s connected to the Sun network (ethernet)
This means that there's no easy way for us to transfer data between the UNIX
network and personal computers (PC, Mac and Amiga).
DNet is very nice and easy to use, but serial is still serial. There is a
freeware system called ParNet from the Software Distillery which implements
parallel communication (shared resources) between two Amigas using a special
parallel cable.

By now you've probably guessed it - would this be possible between Sun
and Amiga?
What I had in mind is something that works like ParNet and DNet, it should be
possible to mount the $HOME directory as SUN: or whatever so that you can
place Amiga .icon-files there. (`copy sun:Amiga/file ram:` = `copy sun:/u1/
d88/e/mbe/Amiga/file ram:` would be valid for me.)

Also it should be possible to open a shell window on the Amiga into the Sun
and vice versa (just like DNet). And of course some mechanism to transfer
files back and forth, maybe something to check for mail and so on.

Ok, now I want some reactions. What do you think? Further suggestions? Would
it be difficult to implement? How fast would it be? .....
Unforunately I don't know C and UNIX well enough to decide if it is a resonable
project, otherwhise I would start right now...

Mike--
      Michael Bergman         Internet: d88-mbe@sm.luth.se
  //  Undergrad. Comp. Eng.   BITNET:   d88-mbe%sm.luth.se@kth.se
\X/   U of Lulea, SWEDEN      ARPA:     d88-mbe%sm.luth.se@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
			      UUCP:  {uunet,mcvax}!sunic.se!sm.luth.se!d88-mbe

terry@helios.ucsc.edu (Terry Ricketts) (06/14/90)

In article <1008@tau.sm.luth.se> Michael Bergman <d88-mbe@sm.luth.se> writes:
>This article is somewhat related to another I posted at the same time (the
>one about DNet 2.10).
>
>I have this idea I'd like to start a discussion around...
>
>Communication between Sun and Amiga is for me (and my friends) an interesting
>issue since we don't have PC:s or Mac:s connected to the Sun network (ethernet)
>This means that there's no easy way for us to transfer data between the UNIX
>network and personal computers (PC, Mac and Amiga).
>DNet is very nice and easy to use, but serial is still serial. There is a
>freeware system called ParNet from the Software Distillery which implements
>parallel communication (shared resources) between two Amigas using a special
>parallel cable.
   (stuff deleted)

	Seems to me that the best solution would be to buy the Ethernet card
from C= and their NFS software. Then you would have a good fast connection
with all the other benefits that come from a network connection.
	The parnet is fine between Amigas, though it has some limitations. But
you will have to create some complicated software for the Sun to run it. Dnet
has that software done & is great for fast connections and file transfers, but
doesn't come close to what a real network connection will give you. It is all
a matter of what you are willing to pay for, and how much you are willing to
give up.
					Terry

d88-mbe@sm.luth.se (Michael Bergman) (06/16/90)

terry@helios.ucsc.edu (Terry Ricketts) writes:

>	Seems to me that the best solution would be to buy the Ethernet card
>from C= and their NFS software. Then you would have a good fast connection
>with all the other benefits that come from a network connection.

Oh, I agree. But I can't afford an ethernet card with NFS software and I can't
use that in an A500 anyway. So, your statement is rather meaningless.

>	The parnet is fine between Amigas, though it has some limitations. But
>you will have to create some complicated software for the Sun to run it.

Of course. That's why I wrote the article: to find out if it's possible.

>has that software done & is great for fast connections and file transfers, but
>doesn't come close to what a real network connection will give you.

Tell me something new...
A parallel connection would be much faster than a serial and that's was my original
thought.

Mike