[comp.sys.amiga] Tower Amiga 3000

Vince.Cleniuk@f70.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Vince Cleniuk) (06/13/90)

This question might seem trivial, but my curiousity is killing me.  Does
anyone know if C= plans on making an Amiga 3000 in a tower casing?  Or
perhaps that will be the A4000...

Another question, if/when C= releases the Amiga CD Rom 'Entertainment
Unit' (or whatever), won't it just re-affirm the 'C= only makes game
machines' image that Commodore doesn't need?

Opinions anyone?
VC//
\X/

--
Vince Cleniuk - via FidoNet node 1:140/22
UUCP: alberta!dvinci!weyr!70!Vince.Cleniuk

amhartma@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Andy Hartman (Amiga Man)) (06/16/90)

In article <697.2678CF7F@weyr.FIDONET.ORG> Vince.Cleniuk@f70.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Vince Cleniuk) writes:
>This question might seem trivial, but my curiousity is killing me.  Does
>anyone know if C= plans on making an Amiga 3000 in a tower casing?  Or
>perhaps that will be the A4000...
In Amiga World, they have the 3000 Tower version listed as the 3500.  There
is also a tower case coming out (I've heard anyway) called the 1500. I don't
think C= is doing the 1500 tho, I seem to remember it coming from Europe.

>Vince Cleniuk - via FidoNet node 1:140/22
>UUCP: alberta!dvinci!weyr!70!Vince.Cleniuk
>Internet: Vince.Cleniuk@f70.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG
>Standard Disclaimers Apply...

AMH

* Andy Hartman       | I'd deny half of this crap anyway!|        ///
* Indiana University |-----------------------------------|       ///
*++Construction++++++|   amhartma@silver.ucs.indiana.edu |   \\\///
*+++++++Zone+++++++++|   AMHARTMA@rose.ucs.indiana.edu   |    \XX/

cmcmanis@stpeter.Eng.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) (06/16/90)

In article <697.2678CF7F@weyr.FIDONET.ORG> (Vince Cleniuk) writes:
>Another question, if/when C= releases the Amiga CD Rom 'Entertainment
>Unit' (or whatever), won't it just re-affirm the 'C= only makes game
>machines' image that Commodore doesn't need?

This is a marketing/positioning question. What if Commodore marketed
the "Commodore Entertainment Machine, from the people who brought
you the Commodore 64" This would not be confused with "The Amiga
Computer, your choice for multimedia and computing in the 90's."
The only problem arises if they try to make the CDTV box an "Amiga"
which it isn't. I would much rather they position it as a thing
like a C64 that, given some peripherals and such, can run some
Amiga software like games." See the difference? How many people
when they see an Amiga know Commodore makes it? Suprisingly few
is the answer.

--
--Chuck McManis						    Sun Microsystems
uucp: {anywhere}!sun!cmcmanis   BIX: <none>   Internet: cmcmanis@Eng.Sun.COM

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (06/16/90)

In article <697.2678CF7F@weyr.FIDONET.ORG> Vince.Cleniuk@f70.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Vince Cleniuk) writes:

>Another question, if/when C= releases the Amiga CD Rom 'Entertainment
>Unit' (or whatever), won't it just re-affirm the 'C= only makes game
>machines' image that Commodore doesn't need?
>
>Opinions anyone?

I am a bit surprised at my response since I thought I would react the
same, but after seeing pictures & the description I think it's a great
idea.

I think the packaging & name for the CDTV were excellent choices.
Notice how it doesn't look like a computer, so shouldn't be threatening
to those maniacal pro-Apple educators with $$$ of mostly unused Apple
software that they don't want to replace.

Notice how it would fit in very nicely in those roll-around TV racks
that edu. institutions use :^), not to mention allowing teachers to
control the device from maybe the back of the room with the infrared
controllers.

I'd vote for it.

Kent Polk - Southwest Research Institute - kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu
         "Life's too short to have to do this on a PC"

bscott@nyx.UUCP (Ben Scott) (06/17/90)

In article <26677@swrinde.nde.swri.edu> kent@swrinde.UUCP (Kent D. Polk) writes:
>I think the packaging & name for the CDTV were excellent choices.
>Notice how it doesn't look like a computer, so shouldn't be threatening
>to those maniacal pro-Apple educators with $$$ of mostly unused Apple
>software that they don't want to replace.

On this week's "Computer Chronicles" it was the lead story in the news section,
and this time they didn't even mispronounce anything.  They gave it quite a
treatment.  And apparently CDTV doesn't stand for "Compact Disc TeleVision" as
I assumed but "Commodore ..." something-or-other that I forgot.

>I'd vote for it.

Say, wouldn't that be neat if Commodore became a democracy?  But they should
only listen to us and not those game-maniacs, right?  hehehe

.                           <<<<Infinite K>>>>

|Ben Scott, professional goof-off and consultant at The Raster Image, Denver|
|Amiga UUCP node: ...!uunet!isis!nyx!orac!bscott  Else: bscott@nyx.cs.du.edu|
|FIDO point address 1:104/421.2, or call the Arvada 68K BBS at (303)424-9831|
|"Don't embarrass us..."  "Have I ever?" - Buckaroo Banzai  | *AMIGA POWER* |