[comp.sys.amiga] Trumpcard SCSI port---do I have it or not?

rick@tmiuv0.uucp (06/27/90)

In article <111092@linus.mitre.org>, sokay@mwunix.mitre.org (Stephen Okay) writes:

> I have been told that my Trumpcard controller for my 2000 has a SCSI port on it,
> but that I need to get an adaptor cable from IVS that will connect to the card
> and run to the expansion slot on the back of Amy.  However, when I opened up
> the cover and looked at it, all I saw were "pilot holes" for what looked like
> could be a 25-pin connection and traces on the PC board going to those holes.
>
> Question: Could these "holes" be where the SCSI connection is?--If so, it
> looks like I'll have to get the connector and cable for both ends, is something
> like this a common cable, or an IVS-only type item?. Has anybody out there
> made this modification to their TrumpCard??---It looks like it could be a
> simple enough job..I just want to know what I'm looking at before I start
> putting things in and messing around with the soldering iron.

The "holes" in the back panel of an A2000 are there for different connectors
to be inserted.  For example, if you had a multiport serial board, you could
install an RS232 connector in one of those holes.  You take off the cover plate
and put the connector in place of it.

As to the cable on a Trumpcard, it's a straight, 50-pin ribbon cable. What you
have to do is determine what kind of connector you want to install.  Your
average SCSI disk drive uses a "header" type of connector (two rows of 25
pins each on 0.10" centers), as does the TrumpCard itself.  Most external
SCSI devices use either a 50-pin D connector (it looks like a real wide RS232
connector) or an Amphenol-type connector (which looks like a real wide
Centronics printer connector).

What you have to do is get two of the 50-pin female "header" type connectors
(one for your existing disk drive and one for the TrumpCard) and one of the
other 50 pin connectors (the D or the Amphenol).  Also get a length of 50-pin
ribbon cable long enough to run from the TrumpCard to the rear panel and from
there to the existing disk drive.  Then, being VERY careful, attach the new
connectors to the new cable.  Make sure that the stripe on one side of the
cable is lined up with pin 1 on all the connectors (the header connectors
usually have an arrow embossed on the plastic indicating pin 1, while the
D and Amphenol connectors actually have a "1" embossed next to pin 1).  Crimp
the connectors on FIRMLY (I use a piece of wood and a rubber mallet to do
this.  Put the connector on a flat, hard surface, insert the cable, put on
the clamp, put the wood on top of the whole thing and whack it with the
mallet).  Then, connect one of the header connectors to the TrumpCard (line
up the arrow, stripe, and the "1" silkscreened on the card), install the
new D or Amphenol connector into the appropriate hole in the A2000 backplate,
and run the cable to the disk drive (again, lining up the stripe and pin
one on the drive.

If this makes you nervous, have a service center do it.  It's not for the
faint of heart. 8-)  (I've been working on computers for 17 years, so this
doesn't faze me).
--
 / [- O] Rick Stevens (All opinions are mine. Everyone ignores them anyway.) \