[comp.sys.amiga] Tex fonts space problem - solved

space@ncc1701.stgt.sub.org (Lars Soltau) (06/27/90)

In article <04966.AA04966@sosaria.imp.com> wizard@sosaria.imp.com (Chris Brand) writes:

>Thanks to everybody who suggested something to solve the problem of the
>TeX fonts taking up too much space. What I'd call the best solution comes
>here:
[In my opinion rather lengthy and tiresome procedure deleted.]

Well, you'll be glad to here that AmigaTeX's font caching scheme does exactly
that for you: it copies only those fonts that you really need to the hard disk.

The big difference is that AmigaTeX does it automagically. There are some
twenty disks with color codes, so that you can tell the disks apart even if
they are in the disk box. Then AmigaTeX requests the disk with the fonts it
needs and copies them to the hard disk. The next time you need them, they will
be used from the hard disk.

You can even let the dvi-driver or the preview request the fonts from Metafont,
and have Metafont create them on the spot or over night.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist the opportunity to post praise for AmigaTeX.

--
Lars Soltau     bang: <insert ridiculously long path>   Bix: -- no bucks --
                smart: space@ncc1701.stgt.sub.org

wizard@sosaria.imp.com (Chris Brand) (06/28/90)

In article <10444@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> riley@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Daniel S. Riley) says:

I said that :-)

> Joining all the lists together and then running the list through sort
> would probably make this step lots less painful.

You're right there. Forgot.

--
Chris Brand - wizard@sosaria.imp.com