[comp.sys.amiga] AMIGA's Utility in Record Production

tab@auc.UUCP (Terrence Brannon ) (06/28/90)

I am interested in getting Atari in hopes that it would be able to run a
drum machine, synthesizer, sampler, and sequencer program simultaneously in
order to produce a complete album with software-based instruments as opposed
to hardware-based instruments... is this possible with the Atari's
multi-tasking capabilities?

Terrence Brannon

jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu (John Dutka) (06/29/90)

In article <32450@auc.UUCP> tab@auc.UUCP (4-Terrence Brannon ) writes:
>I am interested in getting Atari in hopes that it would be able to run a
                            ^^^^^
Wrong newsgroup, or was that a Freudian slip?  :)

>to hardware-based instruments... is this possible with the Atari's
>multi-tasking capabilities?                                ^^^^^^^
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's funny...  I MEAN it!  It should be possible on the Amiga if the programs
are well behaved and are designed to multitask.
If you meant Atari, I have NO idea...  Anyone else?

--
| husc6!m2c!wpi!jdutka |  | | | |'', |  | Real computer companies don't use  |
| jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu   |  | | | |--' |  | VAXes - they own CRAYs...          |

Chuck.Phillips@FtCollins.NCR.COM (Chuck.Phillips) (06/29/90)

Terrence> I am interested in getting Atari in hopes that it would be able to
Terrence> run a drum machine, synthesizer, sampler, and sequencer program
Terrence> simultaneously in order to produce a complete album with
Terrence> software-based instruments as opposed to hardware-based
Terrence> instruments... is this possible with the Atari's multi-tasking
Terrence> capabilities?

Seems to be a disagreement between the "Subject:" and the content.

On the Atari:
Dr. T's offers the ability to manually switch between concurrent Dr. T's
programs.  As long as you don't require concurrent _execution_ of the
various programs, this may be all you need.

On the Amiga:
You don't need special hooks in programs to run them concurrently.  I've
run Dr. T's KCS level II (sequencer), Dr. T's Copyist DTP (score output),
Synthia Professional (sample creation and editing) and Deluxe Music
Construction Set (score editing) all at the same time.  Four programs,
three different software vendors, and true (i.e. "preemptive" for you
pedants) multitasking.

	Hope this helps,
--
Chuck Phillips  MS440
NCR Microelectronics 			Chuck.Phillips%FtCollins.NCR.com