[comp.sys.amiga] Flicker

cmm1@CUNIXA.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Christopher M Mauritz) (11/06/89)

Hiya, I'm probably going to buy an Amy 2500 IF it is as good as it
sounds so far, but I have a few questions:

1>  What is all this talk about Amigas and flicker?  Could someone
explain to me why the Amy flickers?  Could that kind soul also discuss
possible solutions to said flicker?

2>  Is it possible to get an A2500 with a 68030 instead of a 68020?  I
ultimately want a 68030 machine with FPU and I don't want to pay for
the 68020 when I know I'm not going to be using it anyway.

3>  Anyone know how fast an Amy with 68030 and 68882 is compared to a
Mac IIcx with an FPU?

I'm mainly interested in using the machine to do some hard core
financial forcasting.  Some of my models currenly take 10 minutes or so
to crank out the answers.  What I ultimately want is to be able to plug
in numbers while I've got another trader on the phone, bs with the guy
for 2-3 minutes while my computer churns away, and then make some sort
of decision based on the numbers it spits out.  My Mac IIcx just isn't
doing it fast enough for my current needs.  Suggestions anyone?
Advice?  Answers?  Enquiring minds want to know.

Oh yeah, I think I can budget $5-6K for the machine.  Graphics ability
is not nearly as important as raw number cruncing speed.  (I'll settle
for a less-than-spectacular display for quick crunching.)  Any info
would be greatly appreciated.

Chris Mauritz

------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |Where there's a BEER,
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |there's a plan.
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |Need I say more?
------------------------------+---------------------------

wcag0830@UXA.CSO.UIUC.EDU (William C Alexander) (06/29/90)

I'm looking into buying an Amiga (primarily for playing games), but I'd heard
about a problem with flicker with the interlace mode.  I know that several
solutions exist including buying a flicker fixer and a multisync monitor.  But
at that price, why bother?

My question is, how often does the flickering problem make itself known?  That
is, do most/many/few games make use of the interlace mode to get great graphics,
or do games typically stick with the non-interlaced mode?

Any comments are appreciated.

Bill Alexander (wcag0830@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu)

arc@desire.wright.edu (06/29/90)

In article <9006282005.AA02522@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, wcag0830@UXA.CSO.UIUC.EDU (William C Alexander) writes:
> I'm looking into buying an Amiga (primarily for playing games), but I'd heard
> about a problem with flicker with the interlace mode.  I know that several
> solutions exist including buying a flicker fixer and a multisync monitor.  But
> at that price, why bother?
>
> My question is, how often does the flickering problem make itself known?  That
> is, do most/many/few games make use of the interlace mode to get great graphics,
> or do games typically stick with the non-interlaced mode?
>
> Any comments are appreciated.
>
> Bill Alexander (wcag0830@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu)

  Interlace on the Amiga really isn't that bad.  It is only annoying when you
have a lot of white or a bright color in a small place...  Like, the
television, it uses interlace for it's display, but does it flicker much?  The
only real flicker you see on TV is when it's trying to display skinny horizonal
white lines that a computer produced.  I have not seen hardly any games that
use interlace on the Amiga, but why buy an Amiga for mostly games?  What about
it's multitasking capabilities?  Don't think of the Amiga as just a game
machine, though it does some of the BEST games on ANY 16-bitter...  It's OS is
one of the finest around...