[comp.sys.amiga] Mac disk read/write

stelmack@sunrise.ec.usf.edu (Gregory Stelmack) (06/29/90)

All right, guys, here's the situation:

Here at USF, we have a computer lab available for all students, most of whom
do word processing. It contains LOTS of Macs, and 2 Amiga 2500s. For some
as yet unexplained reason, the Amigas are not totally functional (not hooked
to the printers). Seems the lab has some sort of network setup, and the stuff
to hook the Amigas to it hasn't come yet. I think the machines were donated
(maybe by C=), and whoever gave them is slow on the rest of the hardware.

Anyway, we have two perfectly good 2500s just sitting there. Now, if I had a
PD Mac disk reader/writer, students could use the Amiga WP (Excellence! -- I
THINK it does PostScript), save their file to disk, and take it to the main
Mac that controls laser output for printing. This would be a cheap, quick
way to get interest going on the Amiga while the lab waits for the rest if the
stuff.

Anybody want to help the Amiga cause?

-- Greg Stelmack
-- Email: stelmack@sol.csee.usf.edu or stelmack@sunrise.ec.usf.edu
-- USmail: USF Box 1510, Tampa, FL 33620-1510
-- Amiga: the only way to compute!

arc@desire.wright.edu (06/29/90)

In article <31@sunrise.ec.usf.edu>, stelmack@sunrise.ec.usf.edu (Gregory Stelmack) writes:
> All right, guys, here's the situation:
>
> Here at USF, we have a computer lab available for all students, most of whom
> do word processing. It contains LOTS of Macs, and 2 Amiga 2500s. For some
> as yet unexplained reason, the Amigas are not totally functional (not hooked
> to the printers). Seems the lab has some sort of network setup, and the stuff
> to hook the Amigas to it hasn't come yet. I think the machines were donated
> (maybe by C=), and whoever gave them is slow on the rest of the hardware.
>
> Anyway, we have two perfectly good 2500s just sitting there. Now, if I had a
> PD Mac disk reader/writer, students could use the Amiga WP (Excellence! -- I
> THINK it does PostScript), save their file to disk, and take it to the main
> Mac that controls laser output for printing. This would be a cheap, quick
> way to get interest going on the Amiga while the lab waits for the rest if the
> stuff.
>
> Anybody want to help the Amiga cause?
>
> -- Greg Stelmack
> -- Email: stelmack@sol.csee.usf.edu or stelmack@sunrise.ec.usf.edu
> -- USmail: USF Box 1510, Tampa, FL 33620-1510
The Amiga's STOCK drives CAN'T read/write Mac disks.  Neither can STANDARD Mac
drives read/write Amiga or MS-DOS.  The Mac drives are variable speed drives,
ours are not.  AppleTalk is OUT I hear for the Amiga...  I think I read it in
AmigaWorld.  I'm SURE that's the protocol they're using...