[comp.sys.amiga] Commodore should be on Internet

filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us (Bela Lubkin) (06/30/90)

In <12953@cbmvax.commodore.com> George Robbins wrote:
>Unfortunatly, Commodore isn't on the Internet, which makes anonymous FTP
>a bit on the difficult side.  Perhaps something could be done with a BBS
>but offering upgrade packs seems to be the preferred method.

Why isn't Commodore on the Internet?  You have the technology.  All it
should take is a single machine running SLIP to a cooperative neighbor.
It could be CBMVAX, an Amiga running UNIX SysVr4, or an Amiga under
AmigaDOS running the Commodore TCP/IP package.  Security may be an issue
so this machine (obviously not CBMVAX, in this case) could be isolated
at CBM.  It could act as a mail forwarder, accepting .commodore.com
domain mail from the Internet and sending outbound mail, and also an FTP
server.  FTP over SLIP is going to be slow, but so what?  Use a T2500 or
better connection.  CBM being on the net would be convenient for
Internet users as well as being somewhat beneficial to CBM's image among
certain people...

Bela Lubkin   * *   //  filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us   Why do I mention CI$??
     @      * *    //  belal@sco.com  ...ucbvax!ucscc!{gorn!filbo,sco!belal}
R Pentomino   *  \X/  Filbo @ Pyrzqxgl +1 408-476-4633, XBBS +1 408-476-4945

rjz@martian.UUCP (Robert J. Zepeda) (06/30/90)

>In article <202.filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us> filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us (Bela Lubkin) writes:
>In <12953@cbmvax.commodore.com> George Robbins wrote:
>>Unfortunatly, Commodore isn't on the Internet, which makes anonymous FTP
>>a bit on the difficult side.  Perhaps something could be done with a BBS
>>but offering upgrade packs seems to be the preferred method.
>
>Why isn't Commodore on the Internet?
> [comments on ho to do it deleated]

I would like to point out. Try to FTP anything from IBM.
--
-Jim-

* Jim Zepeda                     UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!ut-emx!martian!rjz *
* C.T.A.C.S.  --                       Central Texas Amiga Computer Society *
* Any opinions are my own. My employer can speak for itself.                *