[comp.sys.amiga] Has anyone seen C= advertise the Amiga line?

echarne@ics.uci.edu (Eli B. Charne) (06/27/90)

In <1395@software.software.org> chludzin@software.org (John Chludzinski) writes:

>Has anyone seen C= making any effort to advertise the Amiga??
>(Excluding the one shot deal in the Wall Street Journal.) Or
>has C= defaulted to their tried and not so true strategy of letting
>the machine sell itself?????

  Yes!

  My school paper (Well, actually I'm graduated now.. but anyway) had a full
  page add for the Amiga 500, 2000, and 3000 computers along with prices a
  number to call-- and everything.  This was around 2 months ago.

  ... I even had someone asking me about the ad :)

					   -Eli

  Oh Yes!  My school is (was) the University of California at Irvine
--
      echarne@ics.uci.edu     // \\    ``To understand recursion you
       echarne@uci.bitnet \\ //   \\ //  need to understand recursion.''

seh@pmafire.UUCP (Steve Holaday) (06/27/90)

In article <1395@software.software.org> chludzin@software.org
(John Chludzinski) writes:
>Has anyone seen C= making any effort to advertise the Amiga??
>
>                             Thanks in advance!
>                             -- John Chludzinski

YES!  I seen an ad in Corporate Video Decisions.  A very smart
move by Commodore :-).  I forget what issue number and page
number because I filed the magazine after I got done with it
(file 13).  I remember being impressed that Commodore was
*still* advertising, although not as much as in the past.
--
mail:  seh@pmafire.UUCP                 Steve Holaday
  or   !uunet!pmafire!seh        I *HATE* long signature files!

jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu (John Dutka) (06/28/90)

In article <1395@software.software.org> chludzin@software.org (John Chludzinski) writes:
>Has anyone seen C= making any effort to advertise the Amiga??
>(Excluding the one shot deal in the Wall Street Journal.) Or
>has C= defaulted to their tried and not so true strategy of letting
>the machine sell itself?????

No.  I've seen the Amiga commercial with the house on Channel 20, WVIT, CT,
and heard one of their "computers were supposed to let you fly..." type
radio commercial on 106.9 FM WCCC, CT.

The commercials are still out there, just further between than during the late
1989 ad rush...

--
| husc6!m2c!wpi!jdutka | "No matter how big a straw, you can't suck water up |
| jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu   |  more than 34 feet."                                |

consp13@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Marcus Cannava) (06/29/90)

YES! Commodore has been extremely active in the
advertising department lately. I've seen ads in
school newspapers, in magazines, and in places
I've never seen Commodore advertise before!

Other good Amiga news:

In the August, 1990 AmigaWorld (I now have the
issue in front of me)..

	- Inside front cover:

		GVP has announced their Ethernet
		card for the A2000/A3000 series,
		and their Ethernet Box for the
		A500 series. Supports thick/thin
		Ethernet, comes with support
		software, compat. with DecNet and
		Novell.

	- Page 2:

		AMAX II, Macintosh emulation on-a-
		card for the A2000/A3000, or in a
		plug-in box for the A500. Supports
		hard-drive partitioning, MIDI,
		Macintosh sound, able to read/write
		Mac disks from Amiga drive, two Mac
		serial ports, other features!

	- Page 10:

		"The US Treasury Department's award of
		a 5-year Departmental Microcomputer
		Acquisition Contract (DMAC) to Sears
		Business Systems spells success for key
		subcontractor Commodore...estimated $400
		million deal is Commodore's first victory
		in the federal marketplace.
		  CBM..will offer 68030-based Amiga work-
		stations under the agreement."

	- Applied Engineering announced some neat products
	  throughout the magazine, such as a 1.44 Meg 3.5"
	  drive which "for running the new Amiga UNIX, the
	  AE Standard 1.44 Meg format is a virtual must."

	- Page 51:

		Commodore has an ad for AmigaVision. Looks
		very impressive, gives a toll-free number
		for information.

All in all, looks good on the Amiga front!

				\marc

====

'I do not fear computers.. I fear the lack of them'  -- I. Asimov
									RNM

aaalexis@sactoh0.UUCP (Andrew A. Alexis) (06/30/90)

In article <3619@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> consp13@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Marcus Cannava) writes:
>YES! Commodore has been extremely active in the
>advertising department lately. I've seen ads in
>school newspapers, in magazines, and in places
>I've never seen Commodore advertise before!
[stuff deleted]
The June 25, 1990 issue of _Government Computer News_ has a full
page ad for the 3000 on the inside front cover.  I don't feel like
typing it all out, but the title is "Commodore(c) would like to pass
this secret on to the Federal Government."  Below this, there is a
3000, with amigavision on the screen with a B2 bomber in the view
window(now THERE's an good example of economy :-)
The rest of the copy is a list of specs, including prominent
mention that Unix is available.d
--
   Andy Alexis        UUCP:ames!pacbell!sactoh0!aaalexis
  "Toto kansasoseum non est cognito" -- Farley

filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us (Bela Lubkin) (06/30/90)

Cc: suggestions@cbmvax.commodore.com

In <1395@software.software.org> John Chludzinski wrote:
>Has anyone seen C= making any effort to advertise the Amiga??
>(Excluding the one shot deal in the Wall Street Journal.) Or
>has C= defaulted to their tried and not so true strategy of letting
>the machine sell itself?????

A half-page ad appeared in the 6/22/90 San Fransisco Examiner on page 2
of the Business section.  I entered the whole thing because I have a few
comments on it.  The following text appears surrounding three photos
labeled "1. Amiga 2000HD", "2. Amiga 2500", "3. Amiga 3000".  The 2000HD
and 2500 pictures are indistinguishable aside from the barely readable
labels on the front panels, and the arrangement of the keyboard and
mouse.  The A3000 of course has the smaller case.  None of them appears
to be powered on or doing anything useful, and no mention at all of
differences appears in the text.  Oh well.  In the text, __=underlined,
//=italics, []=symbol normally associated with the enclosed characters.

  Amiga[R] fights boredom three ways.

  (In a recent survey, 40% of corporate vice presidents admit they are
  falling asleep during presentations.  Maybe they just need the bracing
  effect of a multimedia presentation fashioned on an Amiga*.)

  In the '60s, the watchword of the computer industry was data
  processing.  In the '70s, the watchword was word processing.  In the
  '80s, it was desktop publishing.

  The '90s?  There's no doubt.  The '90s will be the era of multimedia.
  You will finally have all the tools of communication (video, text,
  animation, color, and the sounds of music, effects, and voice) at
  your disposal, inexpensively and easily.

  /Inexpensively/ because the price of an Amiga system is within the
  reach of just about everyone who wants one.  You see, the groundwork
  technology for multimedia is already in place; i.e., the operating
  system and the heart and soul of the Amiga (its customized chips that
  handle video, graphics and sound) have already been developed and have
  been proved in use by more than a million Amiga owners.

  /Easily/ because of AmigaVision[TM], the authoring system whose
  intuitive icons and point and click mouse system turns the casual
  computer user into a creative computer user and sophisticated computer
  user into a creator of the first rank.

  For everyone who has to present and/or sell ideas, for everyone who
  has to train someone, for everyone who has ever yearned for a practical
  way to make their abstract ideas real, the Amiga is not only the
  computer for the creative mind.  It's also the computer with them in
  mind.

  Call 1-800-627-9595.  We'll give you the name and address of the Amiga
  dealer nearest you.  One who will show you how to get from Commodore a
  _$100 rebate_ when you purchase a /Commodore monitor/ along with an
  Amiga 2000, 2000HD, 2500, or the new 3000 before June 30th.

  Amiga[R].  The computer for the creative mind.[TM]

               C=[R] Commodore[R]

  [C] 1990 Commodore Business Machines, Inc.  Commodore and the
  Commodore logo are registered trademarks of Commodore Electronics, Ltd.
  Amiga is a registered trademark of Commodore-Amiga, Inc.  AmigaVision
  and The Computer for the Creative Mind are trademarks of
  Commodore-Amiga, Inc.  Rebate details available at your local Authorized
  Amiga Reseller.  Purchase of systems made with Commodore's education
  discounts do not qualify for a rebate under this program.  Offer void
  where prohibited by law.  *Based on a 1989 survey by Motivational
  Systems, Inc.

-------------------- (Reproduced without permission) --------------------

Comments.  Basically, it feels stilted, as if written by a non-native
speaker of English.  It feels like a rough draft.  But it's not too bad
and it is VERY good to see Commodore making some effort to be visible in
the business world.  It's ugly how Apple and IBM are trying to claim
they invented Multimedia.

It sounds like normal computer industry hype.  That bugs me, personally,
but hey, it seems to sell computers.

I'd have liked to see the machines >doing< something, though given how
poorly the halftoning came out, maybe it's just as well.

Anyway, keep it up!  As much advertising as the budget can stand.
And please go for quality ads as well as quantity.  >Bela<

Bela Lubkin   * *   //  filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us   Why do I mention CI$??
     @      * *    //  belal@sco.com  ...ucbvax!ucscc!{gorn!filbo,sco!belal}
R Pentomino   *  \X/  Filbo @ Pyrzqxgl +1 408-476-4633, XBBS +1 408-476-4945