[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga Marketing

mitchell@janus.berkeley.edu (Evan Mitchell) (07/21/89)

Why doesn't Commodore market the Amiga?  I know, I know, we've discussed this
before, but now I'm really starting to wonder.  We have the best damn computer
on the market, the tech support and developement is pretty good (i.e. 1.3
Obese Agnes, etc.) and still nobody in the US knows about it.  Why?  What
could be done?  A friend of mine was QUITE annoyed at the Amiga special on
the computer chronicles show.  He said that commodore supplied them with a
plain vanilla 2000.  No flicker fixer, no 020.  Why?  Commodore's marketing
is almost as bad as Atari's.  I would hate to see the machine fail.

-Evan

jcb@frisbee.Sun.COM (Jim Becker) (07/21/89)

mitchell@janus.berkeley.edu (Evan Mitchell) writes:

->Why doesn't Commodore market the Amiga?  I know, I know, we've discussed this
->before, but now I'm really starting to wonder.  We have the best damn computer
->on the market, the tech support and developement is pretty good (i.e. 1.3
->Obese Agnes, etc.) and still nobody in the US knows about it.  Why?  What
->could be done?  A friend of mine was QUITE annoyed at the Amiga special on
->the computer chronicles show.  He said that commodore supplied them with a
->plain vanilla 2000.  No flicker fixer, no 020.  Why?  Commodore's marketing
->is almost as bad as Atari's.  I would hate to see the machine fail.

->-Evan
->

	Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
	Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
	Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
	Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
	Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
	Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
	Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
	Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
	Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

	This is a very old joke... still be enjoyed by many newcomers to Amiga.

	-Jim Becker		jcb@sun.com

	     -- sorry for the points and barbs, but I couldn't resist... --

u563694848ea@vega.ucdavis.edu (0040;0000007199;0;250;141;) (07/21/89)

This reminds me of an advertisement by the Good Guys (A place in
California that sells stereos and t.v.'s). Their theme was,
"We only sell audio and visual equipment, so me must be good."

Immediately, a hilarious thought ran through my mind. Imagine
if Commodore used that slogan:
"We only sell comuters, so we must for good!"

Commdore is so screwed up that their head is all the way up their
ass and BACK THROUGH THE MOUTH AGAIN! Oh no! It's recursion!

It's unfortunate that a computer as fine as Amiga would have to be "marketed"
through a joke of a company. I read in the new info rumor bag that Hewlett
Packard might buy Commodore, because some of the engineers there like the
Amiga. I wish that would become reality.

admiral%m-5@Sun.COM (Michael Limprecht SUN Microsystems Mt. View Ca.) (07/21/89)

In article <4929@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu>, u563694848ea@vega.ucdavis.edu (0040;0000007199;0;250;141;) writes:

> Commdore is so screwed up that their head is all the way up their
> ass and BACK THROUGH THE MOUTH AGAIN! Oh no! It's recursion!
>
> It's unfortunate that a computer as fine as Amiga would have to be "marketed"
> through a joke of a company. I read in the new info rumor bag that Hewlett
> Packard might buy Commodore, because some of the engineers there like the
> Amiga. I wish that would become reality.

Ditto! I will repeat my quote of last year on Commodore:

If Commodore had invented the wheel we would all be dragging our cars
around on skids."

unquote.

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (07/21/89)

... and does anybody know when Live! is shipping ?

... and how do I use the CIL ?

Duh.

--
     ``You are just a convenient subject of mutilation'' - Oleg Kiselev
richard@gryphon.COM  decwrl!gryphon!richard   gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.NASA.GOV

451061@UOTTAWA.BITNET (Valentin Pepelea) (07/22/89)

<u563694848ea@vega.ucdavis.edu> writes in message <4929@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu>

> Commdore is so screwed up that their head is all the way up their
> ass and BACK THROUGH THE MOUTH AGAIN! Oh no! It's recursion!

I really don t see why you go out of your way insulting a company, simply
because you don t like the way their computer is marketed. That is even
more incomprehensible since Commodore s advertising has turned pretty
respactable in the last 8 months.

I think that what is lacking in Commodore is a larger commitment to R&D, a
five fold increase would put Commodore up to par with other high-tech
companies. If I were you, I would spend more time making intelligent
suggestions rather than insulting the Engineers that volounteer their
time on this net.

> It's unfortunate that a computer as fine as Amiga would have to be "marketed"
> through a joke of a company. I read in the new info rumor bag that Hewlett
> Packard might buy Commodore, because some of the engineers there like the
> Amiga. I wish that would become reality.

Unfortunately, Hewlett Packard has decided to buy out Apollo instead; their
CASE software was rather lacking. But I would not be surprised if indeed HP
thought of buying out Commodore. By now, the West Chester offices are probably
filled with the same type of ingenious, team-work players that filled the
Los-Gatos offices before. I would not be surprised to see HP hunt down these
West Chester Engineers and Computer Scientists the same way they hunted down
the Los Gatos people.

Valentin
The godess of democracy? "The           Name:   Valentin Pepelea
tyrants may distroy a statue,           Phonet: (613) 231-7476
but they cannot kill a god."            Bitnet: 451061@Uottawa.bitnet
                                        Usenet: Use cunyvm.cuny.edu gate
                   - Confucius          Planet: 451061@acadvm1.UOttawa.CA

In <783@bnr-fos.UUCP>, protcoop@bnr-public.uucp (Co-op Student) writes:
>Just to get my 2 cents worth in about Commodore marketing.

That's about what it's worth alright.

>I have owned an Amiga almost since the beginning, and I love the machine.
Unfortunately I do not think that Commodore marketing does it justice.

I don't think CBM markets the machine as well as they could either, but I do
pay attention to what _has_ been done, and I don't make the assumption that
just because I haven't seen something, that it isn't there.

> To date, in the 4 long years that the Amiga has been out, I have only seen
>ONE ad promoting the Amiga, and this was an ad in a U.S.  newspaper that a
>friend of mine brought back from the states (I am in Canada).

I am in Canada too. Did you not see the long running TV ads that showed the
Amiga? You know, the ones that ended with either 'Try that on your Tandy,
Andy.' or 'Try that on your monochrome Mac, Jack.'? I saw them, and chuckled
long and loud. Prime time ads they were too. They appeared all over Canada, and
if someone like me, who watches TV only out of the corner of my conciousness
because my wife happens to have it on inthe same room as my Amiga, can spot
them, it makes me wonder what rock you've been hiding under.

> Here in Ottawa, there is a dealer who broadcasts his own commercials about
>the Amiga, but I do not count those since they are not paid for by Commodore.

How do you know? Did you know, for instance, that CBM has a fund from which
delaers can draw for advertising and promotion? It works on a cost sharing
basis. If your dealer is paying for the entire ad, he is not as smart as he
should be.

> Base on my personal experience, I don't see how anybody can claim that
>Commodore is doing anywhere near a respectible job of marketing the Amiga.  One
>measly newspaper ad in FOUR YEARS!?!

Are newspapers the only thing that you look at? What about the early Canadian
ads, the 'Boing Ball' bouncing out of the screen? What about the MTV spots, the
ads in USA Today, various DTP mags, Video mags, etc., not to mention the local
(partly paid for by CBM) dealer ads in newspapers. I have seen quite a number
of ads. I have no idea why you haven't.

>If the average person saw the same, then I am very suprized that we have
>reached the 1 million machines that Commodore claims they have sold.  You know,
>sometimes I wish I had an Amiga Lorraine rather than a Commodore Amiga.

I wish CBM would spend more on marketing too, but at least I pay attention to
what they _DO_ spend. I wish you had something other than an Amiga too.

-larry

--
"So what the hell are we going to do with a Sun?" - Darlene Phillips -

protcoop@bnr-public.uucp (Co-op Student) (07/24/89)

Just to get my 2 cents worth in about Commodore marketing.  I have owned
an Amiga almost since the beginning, and I love the machine.
Unfortunately I do not think that Commodore marketing does it justice.
To date, in the 4 long years that the Amiga has been out, I have only
seen ONE ad promoting the Amiga, and this was an ad in a U.S. newspaper
that a friend of mine brought back from the states (I am in Canada).
Here in Ottawa, there is a dealer who broadcasts his own commercials
about the Amiga, but I do not count those since they are not paid for
by Commodore.  Base on my personal experience, I don't see how anybody
can claim that Commodore is doing anywhere near a respectible job of
marketing the Amiga.  One measly newspaper ad in FOUR YEARS!?!  If the
average person saw the same, then I am very suprized that we have
reached the 1 million machines that Commodore claims they have sold.
You know, sometimes I wish I had an Amiga Lorraine rather than a
Commodore Amiga.
----------------
Alan W. McKay  |  My opinions are mine, yours are yours. |  Eat Food  |
NEPEAN, Ont.   |  I in no way pretend to represent the   |     and    |
613-763-8980   |  the options of my employer.  So there. |   LIVE !!  |

rsilvers@palladium.UUCP (rsilvers) (07/26/89)

In article <783@bnr-fos.UUCP> protcoop@bnr-public.UUCP (Co-op Student) writes:

>Just to get my 2 cents worth in about Commodore marketing.  I have owned
>an Amiga almost since the beginning, and I love the machine.
>Unfortunately I do not think that Commodore marketing does it justice.
>To date, in the 4 long years that the Amiga has been out, I have only
>seen ONE ad promoting the Amiga, and this was an ad in a U.S. newspaper

   Commodore does advertise the Amiga, just not in computer magazines.
There is one or two Amiga ads in every issue of Animation Magazine.
I think they also advertise in Electronic Musician.  They are going
after the art people, the video people, and the music people.  So
it is not that they do not advertise, just that you have not seen
the ads.
						--Rob.

--
Robert S. Silvers
Epoch Systems, Inc., 313 Boston Post Rd. West, Marlborough, MA 01752

In article <783@bnr-fos.UUCP> protcoop@bnr-public.UUCP (Co-op Student) writes:
>Here in Ottawa, there is a dealer who broadcasts his own commercials
>about the Amiga, but I do not count those since they are not paid for
>by Commodore.

	I'm not sure whether this is the case or not, but it isn't unusual
for corporations to help local dealers pay for local advertising.  It's often
more effective than national, saturation advertising (on a per-dollar basis).

Disclaimer: I'm an engineer, I'm not involved in marketing, and I know little
	    about commodore canada.

Common phrase heard at Amiga Devcon '89: "It's in there!"

mjsagar@sandia.gov (9123 SAGARTZ, MATHIAS J.) (07/27/89)

For general information, just before Max Toy got the axe Commodore was
running half page adds in the Wall Street Journal for the A2500.  The same
adds also appeared in some of the large market newspapers.  I saw them in
the LA Times and the NY times.  When Irving showed Max the door everything
came to a sudden stop and besides an add in Computer Graphics World I have
yet to see any resumption.

Now a question.  Is Irving Gould of any earthly use?  He owns about 20%
of Commodore's stock and seems to be the ultimate authority.  My impression
is that all he does is roam around corporate headquarters yelling "off with
his head" and flying down to the Bahamas because if he stays in the states
too many days he has to pay taxes.

stewartw@warpdrive.UUCP (Stewart Winter) (07/27/89)

In article <783@bnr-fos.UUCP> protcoop@bnr-public.UUCP (Co-op Student) writes:
>Just to get my 2 cents worth in about Commodore marketing.  I have owned
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
     Sometimes you get what you pay for!

>To date, in the 4 long years that the Amiga has been out, I have only
>seen ONE ad promoting the Amiga, and this was an ad in a U.S. newspaper
>that a friend of mine brought back from the states (I am in Canada).
>Here in Ottawa, there is a dealer who broadcasts his own commercials
>about the Amiga, but I do not count those since they are not paid for
>by Commodore.

    Your previous postings all came from Acadia University which is
in the town of Wolfville, Nova Scotia.  I really doubt that Wolfville
could be considered a prime marketing target for them.  You now live
in Ottawa.  I have seen several ads by Commodore in the Ottawa Citizen
(the largest circulated daily in Ottawa) including a full page one at
the end of a section IN COLOUR.  The ad boasted about using Amigas for
desktop video ... very professional.

>Base on my personal experience, I don't see how anybody

    Perhaps your base for personal experiences isn't in line with
Commodores marketing plans.  I'm not trying to flame you, or the
maritimes, but publishing facts which simply aren't true doesn't do
anyone any good.

  Stewart
--
Stewart Winter                Cognos Incorporated   S-mail: P.O. Box 9707
VOICE: (613) 738-1338 x3830   FAX: (613) 738-0002           3755 Riverside Drive

451061@UOTTAWA.BITNET (Valentin Pepelea) (07/27/89)

"MATHIAS J." <mjsagar@sandia.gov> in message <20534@louie.udel.EDU> writes:

> Now a question.  Is Irving Gould of any earthly use?  He owns about 20%
> of Commodore's stock and seems to be the ultimate authority.  My impression
> is that all he does is roam around corporate headquarters yelling "off with
> his head" and flying down to the Bahamas because if he stays in the states
> too many days he has to pay taxes.

Indeed, it seems to me that the old man has become out of touch with our world
as he seems to enjoy very much the lifestyle of upper management shuffles. He
seems to think that the best way to solve a problem is to steal executives
from other companies. What I would like to see is the gradual promotion of
managers which have been faithful with the company for a long time. They
understand much better the company's situation and thus are better armed to
deal with its devellopment. Can you imagine how much better CBM (CIL) would be
with Carolyn at the helm? I'm sure we would see some more dollars put into
R & D.

I can forgive the old man for spending much time under the sun, but bringing
the 'official' CIL headquarters along was going too far. In fact I still hold
a grudge for taking the company out of Canada.

COSC60I@elroy.uh.edu (Bandolar) (07/29/89)

> 	I'm not sure whether this is the case or not, but it isn't unusual
> for corporations to help local dealers pay for local advertising.  It's often
> more effective than national, saturation advertising (on a per-dollar basis).

The company for which I work as a programmer has been growing like a weed
for several years.  We reimburse our dealers (jewelers) for newspaper and
magazine ads.  I believe it *does* work.

--
Stephen McLeod, (Native Texican)| Interests: SF/Gaming, Artist, French,
Samurai Programmer		| Computers, the SCA and friendly people!

arc@desire.wright.edu (06/30/90)

In article <138108@sun.Eng.Sun.COM>, jasonf@cetemp.Eng.Sun.COM (Jason Freund) writes:
> 	I've seen the same thing.  Some of my friends at school were
> comparing Amigas to IBM 286s/386s.  Both bought IBM systems from
> a local retailer despite everything I told them.  Somehow the message
> isn't getting through.  One friend explained that he bought the IBM
> because you can get a sound card that allows you to play good quality
> sounds.  *great*  My other friend bought the IBM because it has good
> home application (ie word processing etc).
> 	I have seen Commodore's ads.  An A3000 ad in my school's
> paper mentions all built-in key capabilities.
> 	What can we/C= do to get through to these people that the
> Amiga is a superior machine?

    It's the hype and BIG ads of these BIG corporations...  That's the MAIN
reason I bet they bought those IBM's.  You TOLD these people things about the
Amiga, WHY didn't you SHOW them, and let them hear some awsome music?