[comp.sys.amiga] One world, One CPU, One OS

In <93.26244db9@desire.wright.edu>, demon@desire.wright.edu writes:

>	It would be nice if these users could all have one unified operating
>system.  (Yes, there is UNIX but not everyone has 4-8 meg of ram and 80+meg
>hard disks.)  What does Apple have to lose by liscensing the Mac OS to
>Commodore and Atari?

It would be nice to have a unified OS, but the problem is, no OS would please
everyone. Apple could license anything it wanted to Commodore, but it won't
make people want it just because it's there. My reaction would be "That's nice,
the folks that like the Mac OS will be happy. Now I'll go back to Amigados."
If Amigados could be ported to a Mac, how many Mac owners do you think would
run out and buy it? Same thing.

>	Not much.  Some sales to be sure, but not enough to erode their profit
>levels.  After all, people have proven they don't mind paying Apple's prices
>by buying Macs in the first place.

Some people have. A lot haven't. Not all users without Macs are in that
position because of price. Hard as you may find this to believe, there are a
lot who just don't like the Mac OS, and if they were faced with using it, would
seek alternatives.

>	What they have to gain is enormous.  They could double their installed
>base of Mac machines (making software production more viable) while having low
>cost Macs (from Atari) available without watering down the current Mac line.

I don't want a Mac OS at any price, and I am not alone. That is proven out by
the fact that for under $500, I could have Amax, complete with a Mac floppy
drive, that will run the Mac OS and most Mac programs on an Amiga, faster than
the Mac equipped with a comparable processor, yet I do not have Amax.  I would
not have it at half that price, nor would I have it as a freebie. Please note
that this is not a flame against the Mac or its OS, but is only a statement of
my position in regard to the usefulness of the Mac OS to me. I have deep-seated
objections to the entire philosophy inherent in the Mac OS, and don't have time
to muck about with it, even as a diversion.

>	In addition, the Mac OS would become the second leading OS, behind DOS
>and in front of UNIX (which Commodore and Atari will have to go to otherwise).

Commodore is not 'going to have to go to' Unix. They will be offering one, it's
true, but it is not the only choice for a user.

>OS/2 will not be viable for PC's.  (Arguments against that statement should be
>directed to comp.sys.msx :)

No disagreement on that one.

>	Making a mistake like IBM did?  Clone wars to follow?  Of course not.
>They wouldn't be liscensing Mac computers, just the Mac OS.  The other machines
>would still be Amigas and STs.

I don't know if it would be a mistake on Apple's part or not, and I don't
really care. Just don't make the mistake of thinking that just because an OS is
available for another machine, that it would automatically mean that all owners
of the machine would flock to it.

>	Well?  Please, discussion only.  Flames should be directed to
>alt.flame, where they belong.

No flames from me. I will post this response only to the Amiga group though,
because I am sick of getting hate mail from the terminally stupid who take
umbrage at innocuous and non-inflammatory postings.

-larry

--
Entomology bugs me.

demon@desire.wright.edu (04/12/90)

	Reading the articles that say how alike Amiga, Atari, and Mac users
are:

[...]

Brett Kottmann
demon@wsu.bitnet

martens@ketch.cis.ohio-state.edu (Jeff Martens) (04/13/90)

In article <93.26244db9@desire.wright.edu> demon@desire.wright.edu writes:

>	Reading the articles that say how alike Amiga, Atari, and Mac users
>are:

>	It would be nice if these users could all have one unified operating
>system.  (Yes, there is UNIX but not everyone has 4-8 meg of ram and 80+meg
>hard disks.)  What does Apple have to lose by liscensing the Mac OS to
>Commodore and Atari?

	[ ... ]

What would Apple have to gain?  What would Commodore or Atari have to
gain?  Essentially nothing.  If Amiga and ST users had wanted Macs,
they would've bought Macs.  I wanted something that multitasks, which
the Mac doesn't (except in a very limited sense), and believe that
very few Amiga users would trade AmigaDOS in for a Mac-like interface.
Of course, most Mac users are also happy with their machines and
wouldn't trade theirs for an Amiga.  To each his own.
-=-
-- Jeff (martens@cis.ohio-state.edu)

Boston art museum director when asked what it means that Cincinnati
art director may face a jail term:  "Don't take a job in Cincinnati."

douglas_walter_gouty@sirius.cis.ohio-state.edu (04/13/90)

	Why would you want it???(Mac-OS).  You would be loosing multitasking and be crippling your machine by removing it's flexability.

piner@newton.physics.purdue.edu (Richard Piner) (04/13/90)

In article <93.26244db9@desire.wright.edu> demon@desire.wright.edu writes:

>	It would be nice if these users could all have one unified operating
>system.  (Yes, there is UNIX but not everyone has 4-8 meg of ram and 80+meg
>hard disks.)

  You ask for it, you got it. OS9/68K can be had for all three machines.
Now if we could just convince all three companies to use OS9/68K as
their basic OS we would be in computer heaven. Now that the new
RAVE software is out, some real fancy graphics could be done, and
even that would be portable between machines. It will never happen.

					R. Piner

rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) (04/13/90)

In article <93.26244db9@desire.wright.edu> demon@desire.wright.edu writes:
>	Reading the articles that say how alike Amiga, Atari, and Mac users
>are:
>
>	It would be nice if these users could all have one unified operating
>system.  (Yes, there is UNIX but not everyone has 4-8 meg of ram and 80+meg
>hard disks.)  What does Apple have to lose by liscensing the Mac OS to
>Commodore and Atari?

Perhaps now, with their high-end Mac II's and the new QuickDraw boards,
not as much as before.  Apple's strengths have traditionally been in their
software; their hardware hasn't warranted the extremely high margins they
charge for their systems.  I think they'd have to be convinced that 3rd
party Mac-clones would play for the low-end of their market, which I doubt
it exclusively would.

--
   >>"Aaiiyeeee!  Death from above!"<<     | (Steve) rehrauer@apollo.hp.com
"Spontaneous human combustion - what luck!"| Apollo Computer (Hewlett-Packard)

schultzd@frith.uucp (David Schultz) (04/13/90)

In article <93.26244db9@desire.wright.edu> demon@desire.wright.edu writes:
[deleted]
>	It would be nice if these users could all have one unified operating
>system.  (Yes, there is UNIX but not everyone has 4-8 meg of ram and 80+meg
>hard disks.)  What does Apple have to lose by liscensing the Mac OS to
>Commodore and Atari?
[deleted]
>Brett Kottmann
>demon@wsu.bitnet

Let's see how much support we can muster for this so that REAL machines
can take the place of PC's.  (REAL = Atari, Amiga, MAC, not PC)

Lock & Load

--
______________________________________________________# # #__________________
        _______________________________________       # # #

BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz (04/13/90)

In article <93.26244db9@desire.wright.edu>, demon@desire.wright.edu writes:
> 	Reading the articles that say how alike Amiga, Atari, and Mac users
> What does Apple have to lose by liscensing the Mac OS to
> Commodore and Atari?

I don't give a stuff what Apple stands to loose! The rest of us would loose
a real OS and be lumbered with an OS that can't even multitask!

Now I've got a MUCH better idea... Why doesn't Apple license (c for us readers)
the Amiga OS, then all these poor folk using a gerry built, discount
Joberised os could find out what REAL computing is about.

:-)  <--- This talisman wards off all flames.

Regards Alan

dmb@wam.umd.edu (David M. Baggett) (04/13/90)

In article <93.26244db9@desire.wright.edu> demon@desire.wright.edu writes:
>              What does Apple have to lose by liscensing the Mac OS to
>Commodore and Atari?

They would lose the ability to be incredibly pompus about their OS and
to sue the hell out of anyone that even thought about imitating it.
There would be massive layoffs at Apple because they'd have to fire
most of their laywers, which seem to comprise about 1/2 the company.

:-)  (Just a joke, guys; just a joke!)

Dave Baggett
dmb@cscwam.umd.edu

eb15+@andrew.cmu.edu (Edward D. Berger) (04/14/90)

Supposedly OS9 is available for all three machines, and Minix will be this
fall...

-A gentle reminder, please do not submit messages to all three comp.sys
 groups, as the followups are almost certain to cause flames.

GWO110%URIACC.BITNET@brownvm.brown.edu (F. Michael Theilig) (04/14/90)

     If there is ever going to be a universal OS, it would probably
 be Unix.  What's OS9 for the Amiga like?

     I have this one question about Unix.  Let's say for the sake of
 argument that I decide to get Amiga Unix.  I go to the local K-Mart
 and enter the electronics section.  On display is the new computer
 version of the game show "You bet your life!"  I thumb through the
 rack to find the Unix version.  Is this going to run on my machine?
 What about my friend with IBM Unix, and ST Unix?

      F. Michael Theilig  -  The University of Rhode Island at Little Rest
                            GWO110 at URIACC.Bitnet

I am an expert on all subjects, and as long as you
don't ask me any questions, you will remain convinced.

swklassen@tiger.waterloo.edu (Steven W. Klassen) (04/14/90)

In article <93.26244db9@desire.wright.edu> demon@desire.wright.edu writes:

>	Reading the articles that say how alike Amiga, Atari, and Mac users
>are:
>
>	It would be nice if these users could all have one unified operating
>system.  (Yes, there is UNIX but not everyone has 4-8 meg of ram and 80+meg
>hard disks.)  What does Apple have to lose by liscensing the Mac OS to
>Commodore and Atari?

What makes you think the rest of the world wants the Mac OS?  If you
want a unified operating system it would be much better to stick
with UNIX.  Contrary to popular belief UNIX does NOT require 4-8 meg of
ram and 80+meg hard disks.  (Especially if you leave out the on-line
help.)  I have seen very useable UNIX look-alikes (namely Minix) operate
quite well on 1 meg machines (Atari 1040ST) with only 20 meg of the
hard drive dedicated for it.

Even if you must reject UNIX, why should the unified OS be the Mac one?
There are a number of reasons why people buy Amigas and Ataris instead
of Macs.  Here of some of them:

1.  The Amiga or the Atari suits their given purpose better.  Changing
    operating systems likely wouldn't affect this, so long as the
    hardware didn't change.

2.  The Mac is expensive.  If Mac liscenced their OS to Commodore and
    Atari, the Amigas and the STs would also become more expensive.

3.  They don't like the Mac, hence they certainly don't want their
    Amiga or ST becoming more like it.

4.  They don't like Apple Corp., hence they certainly won't want
    their purchase of an Amiga or ST to put money in the pockets
    of Apple.

(I won't tell you which one(s) of these were my reason(s)).

Of course some people would like the change - namely those who use
their Atari or Amiga to emulate a Mac, but my opinion is that most
people who want Macs purchase Macs, while those who want a computer
to fill a given purpose(s) look more carefully and choose the
computer which best fulfills their purpose(s).

Steven W. Klassen                       +-----------------------------+
Computer Science Major                  | Support the poor...buy fur! |
University of Waterloo                  +-----------------------------+

eb1z+@andrew.cmu.edu (Edward Joseph Bennett) (04/15/90)

I think the Mac has a great operating system. In my opinion it is the
best, But it is far from flawless and I can see where many users that
have special uses for their computers don't need it and may not want it.

Lets not forget that it wouldn't necessarily be good for Mac users.
Every time Apple developes a new machine it has a bug fix release of
system software to make it work. Example IIfx and system 6.05. Apple
will have a difficult enough time in trying to develope system 7.0 that
works on the plus, the IIfx and everything in between. Imagine trying to
maintain and ensure compatibility for machines from many companies with
each company having many models. I think we would have a stagnate
unchanging operating system like DOS where the lowest common denominator
was the driving force.

Any way One World , One OS brings back horror memories of pre 1984 when
IBM and DOS where king. I think all computer users can agree that we are
all better off because of the competition. Competition breeds inovation.
One world, One OS would breed stagnation.

Ed

dr.d@pro-hysteria.cts.com (Dr. Donald M. Norgard) (07/01/90)

things would be cured if IBM, mac and commodor got together and created a
computer, using the best atribs of all of them.  This would kill the market
perhaps, but then I would have the answer to having an Amiga Compatable IBM.
Like my Boyfriend has an IBM compatable amiga.

UUCP: {bungia, crash}!orbit!pnet51!pro-hysteria!dr.d
ARPA: {bungia, crash}!orbit!pnet51!pro-hysteria!dr.d@nosc.mil
INET: dr.d@pro-hysteria.cts.com