[comp.sys.amiga] VCR Backup

bhenning@bhami.vnet.van-bc.UUCP (Bill Henning) (05/04/89)

[oh mighty line-eater, wherefore art th

NOTE: the following is NOT meant to be a product announcement, it is
      merely my answer to a question - the fact that I'm writing the
      software is purely coincidental :-)

In <13849@louie.udel.EDU> of comp.sys.amiga Scott C. Kennedy writes:

> Is ReadySoft making the VCR Backup system, or is it someone else?
> I know that an IBM version exists that allows you to backup 270 MB
> on one standard 8 hr. video cassette. This is of major importance
> to me because I now have over 130 MB of Hard Disk storage on my
> Amiga 2000. 126 floppies is alot of fun :}

   I do not know about ReadySoft, but I do know that Wedge Tech is about
to release the "Easy Streamer" (probably tm). RSI will be handling the
marketing of the device. It will released as soon as possible sometime in
July is probably a good guess for production units.
The hardware is by Jim Brooks (of Wedge fame). The concept of this
realization of videotape backup, as well as the software is by William
Henning (yes, your's truly, the poster of this message) who also wrote
a part of the Wedge software. As I do not work for either RSI or Wedge
Tech, I do not claim to represent their views - although I am licensing
my software for the streamer to Wedge Tech (under undisclosed, mutually
agreeable conditions).

   The first version of the software will be extremely simple -
"backup dh0:" would back dh0: up, and "restore dh0:" would restore
the image from the tape. The "black box" hooks up to the parralel
port on the back of the Amiga. A "verify" command will also
be included to insure that the data was properly backed up.

   Currently, a valid Mountlist entry is required for the device
to be backed up, and as an image is saved, the partition may not
be moved on the drive, nor may its size be changed between a backup
and a restore. These limitations will be addressed in future releases
of the software.

   The expected throughput is 18Mb/hr, meaning that a ten megabyte
partition can be backed up in aprox. thirty-three minutes. I've
attempted to keep this message to a straightforward reply to a
question (although it is a relief not to keep it "secret" anymore).
As I understand it RSI will be selling it for $200US ($250Cdn).

   I expect Dave Allen (out marketroid, with RSI) will send an
announcement to comp.newprod sooner or later. His phone number is
604-270-0064, and daami!Dave_Allan@van-bc.UUCP should reach him.

   If there are any questions, e-mail them to Dave (if they are
marketing related) or to me (if they are technical questions).
I will not go into detail about the data encoding format etc.,
because I consider that information to be proprietary.

# Amiga // #   UUCP: {alberta!ubc-vision,ubc-cs,uunet}!van-bc!bhami!bhenning #
# 1000 //  #   -or-  bhenning@bhami.wimsey.bc.ca /* untested at this time */ #
#     //   #   -or-  bhenning@bhami.van-bc.UUCP  /* I prefer UUCP mail    */ #
# \\ //    # BITNET: USERCCPM@SFU.BITNET /* I rarely check for other mail */ #
#  \X/bhami#   ARPA: William_Henning%sfu@um.cc.umich.edu                     #

David.Plummer@f70.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG (David Plummer) (07/01/90)

Digital music can be recorded on VCRs, and with some error checking.
The problem is that with digital music, if you drop a few bits, you're
never going to know a difference. In fact, you have to drop about
500,000 bits before you'll even hear a pop or crackle.

Drop a few bits out of DPaint III, however, and you'll know about it!

--
David Plummer - via FidoNet node 1:140/22
UUCP: alberta!dvinci!weyr!70!David.Plummer