[comp.sys.amiga] Racism on the Net

robert@madnix.UUCP (Robert Moldenhauer) (06/30/90)

I've tired of reading racist statements on the Net.  Do we have to put
upt with this outflow of biggotry against Iranians?  What if someone had
said "All Blacks are xxxxxx" or "Jews are yyyyy"?  Why don't all these
folks who are responding to the misplaced appeal for aid for earthquake
victims just go to their KKK meetings and leave us alone.  Better, shouldn't
there be rules against making racist statements on the Net?
Racism doesn't help the murdered folks on Iran Air or Pan Am or KAL, it
just adds to the possibility that these tragedies will be repeated.

--
Robert Moldenhauer                              One People
U.S. Snail: 30 Lathrop St.,                     One Planet

hstroma@hubcap.clemson.edu (hepburn m stroman) (07/02/90)

Damn, I swore I wouldn't post on this again, but these
overgeneralizations really bug me. Here goes...

From article <1412@madnix.UUCP>, by robert@madnix.UUCP (Robert Moldenhauer):
> I've tired of reading racist statements on the Net.  Do we have to put
> upt with this outflow of biggotry against Iranians?  What if someone had
> said "All Blacks are xxxxxx" or "Jews are yyyyy"?  Why don't all these
> folks who are responding to the misplaced appeal for aid for earthquake
> victims just go to their KKK meetings and leave us alone.
	I don't agree with those statements either, but to label all who
	oppose aid to Iran as KKK bigots is unfair and inaccurate.
>  Better, shouldn't
> there be rules against making racist statements on the Net?
	_NO_. You can't legislate (in this case regulate) what people
	think.  The majority will recogonize racist drivel for what it
	is.  The first amendment (USA) guarantees the right to free
	speech.  If we try to limit it to "politically correct" speech,
	we start down a dangerous path.
> Racism doesn't help the murdered folks on Iran Air or Pan Am or KAL, it
> just adds to the possibility that these tragedies will be repeated.
	can you support this claim?

> --
> Robert Moldenhauer                              One People
> U.S. Snail: 30 Lathrop St.,                     One Planet
>             Madison, Wis 53705 USA              Please!
> BITNET: rmoldenhauer@WISCMACC      INTERNET: rmoldenhauer@VMS.MACC.WISC.EDU

disclaimer: I support aid to Iran (cf previous post) and therefore am
	    not one of the "racists" Robert is objecting to

Now, if anyone feels the need to respond to this, let's do it thru email
or in soc.culture.iran.  This discussion does not belong here. (Yes, I
know I am breaking my own rule, but this is _the last_ post I shall make
on the subject).

Hepburn M Stroman aka hstroma@hubcap.clemson.edu

gall@yunexus.YorkU.CA (Norm Gall) (07/02/90)

robert@madnix.UUCP (Robert Moldenhauer) writes:

| I've tired of reading racist statements on the Net.  Do we have to put
| upt with this outflow of biggotry against Iranians?  What if someone had
| said "All Blacks are xxxxxx" or "Jews are yyyyy"?

The constant misuse of the term Racism will do mroe to spark
discontent than anything else.  Saying "All Canadians are xxx" is a
much different claim than saying "All Blacks are yyy" or "All Muslims
are zzz".

Those who don't see this distinction are asked to think about the
concept of 'race' and whether physical location alone is criterion
enough to make a distinction.

nrg

--
"It is not the task of philosophy to affirm or deny the existence of
things, but rather to clarify what assertions or denials of existence

In article <1412@madnix.UUCP> robert@madnix.UUCP (Robert Moldenhauer) writes:
> Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga,comp.sys.ibm.pc,comp.sys.mac
>I've tired of reading racist statements on the Net.  Do we have to put
>upt with this outflow of biggotry against Iranians?  What if someone had
>said "All Blacks are xxxxxx" or "Jews are yyyyy"?  Why don't all these
>folks who are responding to the misplaced appeal for aid for earthquake
>victims just go to their KKK meetings and leave us alone.  Better, shouldn't
>there be rules against making racist statements on the Net?
>Racism doesn't help the murdered folks on Iran Air or Pan Am or KAL, it
>just adds to the possibility that these tragedies will be repeated.

Sigh.  It's bad enough when you post the message on inappropriate groups.
It is worse when you pose a Call For Censorship on ONLY inappropriate groups.

Discussion about earthquake:  Honor the Followup-- soc.culture.iran
Discussion about racism/net censorship: talk.politics.misc.
Nothing: comp.sys.*
][, ][+, ///, ///+, //e, //c, IIGS, //c+ --- Any questions?
		Hey!  Bush has NO LIPS!

petrilli@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Chris Petrilli) (07/02/90)

In article <1412@madnix.UUCP> robert@madnix.UUCP (Robert Moldenhauer) writes:
>I've tired of reading racist statements on the Net.  Do we have to put
>upt with this outflow of biggotry against Iranians?  What if someone had
>said "All Blacks are xxxxxx" or "Jews are yyyyy"?  Why don't all these
>folks who are responding to the misplaced appeal for aid for earthquake
>victims just go to their KKK meetings and leave us alone.  Better, shouldn't
>there be rules against making racist statements on the Net?
>Racism doesn't help the murdered folks on Iran Air or Pan Am or KAL, it
>just adds to the possibility that these tragedies will be repeated.

If more importantly, and I'm violating this, but I see it as being paramount,
can we have a rule concerning where things get posted.  The call for help
for Iran was uncalled for on all the comp.* areas, and should have been
elsewhere.  I read 50 copies of it, and feel it an undue burden on the
traffic.

No there shouldn't be a rule against free speech!  If you want to be racist,
and show your true "colors" (pun intended), go ahead.  I now know more about
you then before.  Racism help noone, but neither does abridging
free speech.

Apologize to all system administrators and systems for the misplaced comment.

+ Chris Petrilli                                    "Opinons represented here
| University of Texas at Austin                      do not necessarily
| INTERNET:  petrilli@vondrake.cc.utexas.edu         represent those of a sane
| SNAILMAIL: 429 Brady Lane, Austin, Texas, 78746    person.  Take them as
+ PHONE:     +1 512 327 0986                         simply that."