[comp.sys.amiga] One big assign

root@bcstarc.stgt.sub.org (Frank Pecher) (06/26/90)

In article <5624@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) writes:
>In article <sam.646020836@s.ms.uky.edu>, sam@ms.uky.edu (Mike Mills) writes:
>> Does anyone know of a utility that allows you to make multiple assigns at
>> once?  The idea is to speed up my boot time by getting rid of the fifty
>> thousand assigns in my startup-sequence...
>
>       Dave Haynie wrote BINDNAMES to do exactly this.  It's a great little
>utility and works just fine.

Try the assign command from the arp 1.3 package. Like this:

assign c: dh1:com s: dh1:src devs: dh1:devs

        ... and so on.

--
Frank Pecher                           uucp: root@bcstarc.stgt.sub.org
==>              (This line intentionally left blank)              <==

space@ncc1701.stgt.sub.org (Lars Soltau) (06/27/90)

In article <5657@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) writes:
>BindNames looks at a set of configuration files (tables, really), that
>look like "volume directory" pairs.  Here's an example:
>
>               T:              ram:T
>               ENV:            ram:ENV
>               CLIPS:          ram:CLIPS
>               games:          home:games
>               home:           dh0:

While I use BindNames all the time, and really enjoy to have all the assigns
out of the Startup-Sequence, there is one major caveat for you A2090(A) people:

If your boot disk misses one of the "standard" directories, i.e. C, LIBS, DEVS,
FONTS, L (did I miss one?), AmigaDOS creates a shadow volume. Try it out, if
you type "Assign LIST", you get for example "FONTS", listed with no directory.

Since I tend you have my boot disk (or partition) as small as possible, there
is no FONTS directory on it. When BindNames tries to assign FONTS: to a
directory on the FFS partition, the system is halted. No guru, no nothing,
everything just freezes.

Moral: If you use BindNames (which I can only recommend, even with ARP), you
*HAVE* to have all the default directories on your boot disk or boot partition.

--
Lars Soltau     bang: <insert ridiculously long path>   Bix: -- no bucks --
                smart: space@ncc1701.stgt.sub.org

FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) (07/03/90)

For the guy who wondered about ARP getting into AmigaDOS:

I asked shortly after 1.3 came out (almost a year ago) and was told
that for various reasons (some political) ARP would not be put into
AmigaDOS.  Personally I think this is a mistake but there it is.

The idea of ARP (well, one of them) is in 2.0 and will probably be
expanded in the future.  That is the idea of pulling functions
out of the commands and putting them into libraries.  ARP did it with
one big library and 2.0 does it with several smaller ones grouped by
function.

Dana Bourgeois @ cup.portal.com
But they shoulda gone with assembler instead of C IMHO!