[comp.sys.amiga] Common LISP: Marketing survey

kosma%human-torch@STC.LOCKHEED.COM (Monty Kosma) (06/30/90)

Well, I keep hearing about people asking for an amiga CL (very feasible
and desirable with things like 68030's and Arexx becoming widely available),
so I'd like to conduct a little marketing survey.

So, anybody interested in a Common LISP package for the amiga, please
help me out by sending me some comments.  Here's some suggested topics:

1.  are you intersted?  what would you be willing to pay for a full
    commercial version?  I'd probably like a distribution structure
    like Matt Dillon's DICE...a shareware version (maybe just an interpreter)
    and a commercial version (with compiler, maybe even CLOS and CLIM ??)

2.  What about CLOS and CLIM?  I'd absolutely LOVE to have them, but how
    essential are they at this point?

3.  Any comments on developing and marketing this sort of thing?  Anybody
    interested in a joint venture, perhaps?

I think the world of Guy Steele so I'd try to stick closely to CLtL (even
though the new edition is rather huge :-)

Thanks for any replies!

monty
kosma@human-torch.lasc-research.lockheed.com

sdl@linus.mitre.org (Steven D. Litvinchouk) (07/02/90)

In article <9006291700.AA19536@human-torch.lockheed.com> kosma%human-torch@STC.LOCKHEED.COM (Monty Kosma) writes:

> Well, I keep hearing about people asking for an amiga CL (very feasible
> and desirable with things like 68030's and Arexx becoming widely available),
> so I'd like to conduct a little marketing survey.
>
> So, anybody interested in a Common LISP package for the amiga, please
> help me out by sending me some comments.  Here's some suggested topics:
>
> 1.  are you intersted?  what would you be willing to pay for a full
>     commercial version?  I'd probably like a distribution structure
>     like Matt Dillon's DICE...a shareware version (maybe just an interpreter)
>     and a commercial version (with compiler, maybe even CLOS and CLIM ??)

I'm very interested.  Currently, the only object-oriented programming
language commercially supported for the Amiga is C++ (Lattice), and I
would definitely prefer CLOS.

I guess that $400-500 is about the right price for a Common Lisp
product, provided it supported CLOS.  While this is more expensive
than many other Amiga languages, the market is smaller, and would
consist more of professional scientists and engineers whose companies
can afford to pay.  This also compares with $495 for Macintosh Allegro
Common Lisp, from APDA.

> 2.  What about CLOS and CLIM?  I'd absolutely LOVE to have them, but how
>     essential are they at this point?

I do object-oriented programming a lot and so CLOS would be essential
to me.  As long as the product supported *some* reasonable interface
to AmigaDOS, Intuition, ROM Kernel, ARexx, etc., I would be satisfied (at
least for version 1.0 of the product).  CLIM would be a "nice to have,"
perhaps for future versions of the product.

> 3.  Any comments on developing and marketing this sort of thing?  Anybody
>     interested in a joint venture, perhaps?

My company can't do that sort of thing.  However, I might be
interested in being an alpha and/or beta test site for a Common Lisp
product.
--

Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation

ARPA:  sdl@mbunix.mitre.org
UUCP:  ...{att,decvax,genrad,ll-xn,philabs,utzoo}!linus!sdl

	"Where does he get those wonderful toys?"
				-- J. Napier (a.k.a. "The Joker")

winston@fjcnet.GOV (Winston M. Llamas) (07/03/90)

I would definitely be interested in a full Common LISP implementation
for the Amiga, especially if included CLOS (which is pretty much necessary
nowadays anyway).  As important as the language implementation, though, is
the implementaion of the programming environment.  I have Allegro CL on
the Mac and I find that environment to be rather nice, if imperfect.  I
haven't tried Procyon Common LISP yet, though I heard that it is a well
implemented product.

I think a LISP implementation would naturally cost more than other language
implementations for the Amiga; not only is a fully integrated LISP environment
time consuming to develop, but the market for such a product, shall we say,
is not "huge."  In any case, if someone can come up with a nice CL implementaion
on the Amiga, I'd definitely buy it.

Winston