[comp.sys.amiga] Common Lisp?

elessar@pawl.rpi.edu (Kenneth E. Lareau) (06/29/90)

   Having an interest in common lisp I am wondering if there are any
full implementations of it available commercially for the Amiga (I
have a 2500, should pose no problems). If so, I would like to know
how to get a hold of it and how much it costs.
   If there isn't one available, I would also prefer knowing of any
pd/commercial implementations that are as close to the full common
lisp set as possible, as well as where to find them and how much if
they're commercial.
   Either respond here or reply to me by e-mail...quick responses
would be greatly appreciated.

Ken Lareau
elessar@pawl.rpi.edu

elessar@pawl.rpi.edu (Kenneth E. Lareau) writes:

>   Having an interest in common lisp I am wondering if there are any
>full implementations of it available commercially for the Amiga (I
>have a 2500, should pose no problems). If so, I would like to know
>how to get a hold of it and how much it costs.
>   If there isn't one available, I would also prefer knowing of any
>pd/commercial implementations that are as close to the full common
>lisp set as possible, as well as where to find them and how much if
>they're commercial.
>   Either respond here or reply to me by e-mail...quick responses
>would be greatly appreciated.

    Uh, I think I should've also mentioned that I already have XLisp
v2.0 and Scheme...both are nice, but nowhere near what I'm looking
for. Just in case you decide to mention them...don't. (heh)

Ken Lareau
elessar@pawl.rpi.edu

kosma%human-torch@stc.lockheed.com (Monty Kosma) (06/30/90)

   From: "Kenneth E. Lareau" <elessar@pawl.rpi.edu>
   Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
   Date: 29 Jun 90 03:37:51 GMT
   Sender: amiga-relay-request@udel.edu

      Having an interest in common lisp I am wondering if there are any
   full implementations of it available commercially for the Amiga (I
   have a 2500, should pose no problems). If so, I would like to know
   how to get a hold of it and how much it costs.

no nothing, nothing even close :-( :-( :-(

      If there isn't one available, I would also prefer knowing of any
   pd/commercial implementations that are as close to the full common
   lisp set as possible, as well as where to find them and how much if
   they're commercial.

The only thing at all available is the PD xlisp, and it's pretty bad
IMHO (esp in comparison to real CL on my symbolics lisp machine or
lucid on unix).  Oh and there's this Metacomco lisp but it's as old
as the hills.

      Either respond here or reply to me by e-mail...quick responses
   would be greatly appreciated.

   Ken Lareau
   elessar@pawl.rpi.edu

Sorry for the bad news.  From all the people asking about CL for the amiga,
though, I suspect that there could be room for a CL interpreter/compiler
package.  Could be made really good by tying in a bunch of Arexx stuff
and a good editor like CEDpro.  Maybe I'll think about doing it (?)

Also, there's a group of guys somewhere working on this thing they call
Hairy lisp.  I don't know about its status, though--still in development
last I heard.

monty
kosma@human-torch.lasc-research.lockheed.com

marsella@athos.rutgers.edu (Stacy Marsella) (06/30/90)

With regard to a Common Lisp for the Amiga, has anyone tried porting
Kyoto Common Lisp (KCL) ?  I suspect this point has been mentionned
before but in case it hasn't - KCL is a public domain common lisp, written
in C for various platforms (e.g. SYSV Unix and BSD unix).  Not having
looked at the code, I have no idea how plausible a port to the Amiga is, but
it may be an interesting place to start.

I have limited, but favorable, experience using KCL. I installed KCL
on my UnixPC and to test it I tried to run a large AI system
(the system was/is being developed on symbolics and suns using
various common lisps such as Franz Allegro CL and Lucid CL). It ran
without a hitch (both "properly" interpreted and compiled).

S. Marsella

jayavant@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Rajeev Jayavant) (07/03/90)

/ hpfcdj:comp.sys.amiga / marsella@athos.rutgers.edu (Stacy Marsella) /  1:11 pm  Jun 29, 1990 /

>> With regard to a Common Lisp for the Amiga, has anyone tried porting
>> Kyoto Common Lisp (KCL) ?  I suspect this point has been mentionned
>> before but in case it hasn't - KCL is a public domain common lisp, written
>> in C for various platforms (e.g. SYSV Unix and BSD unix).  Not having
>> looked at the code, I have no idea how plausible a port to the Amiga is, but
>>it may be an interesting place to start.
>> S. Marsella

I have played around with the internals of KCL quite a bit (on Sun3's,
VaXes, and HP's) and wouldn't really enjoy porting it to AmigaDOS.
The major problem is that the memory allocation routines and garbage
collector would have to be essentially rewritten to handle
non-contiguous memory segments.

If you want to be able to load compiled object files, some sort of
AmigaDos-compatible dynamic linker would have to be written.  And
finally, if you want to be able to dump out a Lisp image with all of
the system modules preloaded, we need to create a way to dump an
executable and its data structures from memory into a disk file.  It's
not impossible, but it's definitely not as simple as creating a new
defs file and typing "make".

One other drawback of KCL: on all three Unix platforms I've used, a
dumped executable containing just the system files and compiler is on
the order of four megabytes.  Note that the compiler only produces C
code, which means you also need to have the C compiler around and have
enough RAM left over for it to run concurrently with KCL.
							Rajeev
Rajeev Jayavant (rajeev@hpfcla.hp.com)
Hewlett Packard - Graphics Technology Division

new@udel.EDU (Darren New) (07/03/90)

In article <17190006@hpfcdj.HP.COM> jayavant@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Rajeev Jayavant) writes:
>If you want to be able to load compiled object files, some sort of
>AmigaDos-compatible dynamic linker would have to be written.

We have one.  It's called LoadSeg().  Of course, if you want to share
globals or something, you would need to do more. Usually, passing
a vector to a table of global entry points works well (can you say
shared library?).                -- Darren