[comp.sys.amiga] Terminal Program recommendations?

borneo@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (B. Theocrastus Holmes) (06/28/90)

All I need my terminal program to do is upload ASCII, transfer files in
Zmodem, and perhaps emulate ANSI and some other keyboard types.  I will
pay good money to make this a reality.

I have an old copy of Access!, which is the best uploader of text I have seen,
but has no worthwhile protocols and doesn't speak sensibly to many BBSs.
I have used JRComm, which has beauty screens and Zmodem, but also the worst
ASCII transfers I have ever seen, bar none (Vers .094).

The question is:  are there any TPs out there which do everything well?
  What are you using right now?

fac2@dayton.saic.com (Earle Ake) (07/01/90)

In article <4742@darkstar.ucsc.edu>, borneo@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (B. Theocrastus Holmes) writes:
> All I need my terminal program to do is upload ASCII, transfer files in
> Zmodem, and perhaps emulate ANSI and some other keyboard types.  I will
> pay good money to make this a reality.
>
> I have an old copy of Access!, which is the best uploader of text I have seen,
> but has no worthwhile protocols and doesn't speak sensibly to many BBSs.
> I have used JRComm, which has beauty screens and Zmodem, but also the worst
> ASCII transfers I have ever seen, bar none (Vers .094).
>
> The question is:  are there any TPs out there which do everything well?
>   What are you using right now?

Right now I would suggest JRComm.  Jack will start duplicating the v1.0 disks
in the next few days.  He has put alot of time into this release.  He has VT100
mode working great now!  Zmodem has been improved upon.  Throughput for floppy
based users is alot better since he is double buffering the writes to the disk.
You will see a BIG difference between 0.94a and 1.0.  What do you mean by
the worst ASCII transfers?  Are you talking speed or loss of characters or what?
Remember that 0.94a is a beta version that was out there for people to test and
after they sent in their shareware fee, had the ability to report bugs to Jack
so he could get 1.0 working RIGHT!  You must not have sent in your shareware
fee so you are stuck with the beta release for now.  I am sure that if you
had a real problem with it, Jack would have fixed it.  He may very well have had
someone else report it and have it fixed by now.

Handshake 2.12a is out there.  It doesn't do zmodem yet.  It is a good vt100
emulation and does support xmodem, ymodem, and kermit.  It all depends on
what you want.

             ____ ____    ___
Earle Ake   /___ /___/ / /     Science Applications International Corporation
           ____//   / / /__                 Dayton, Ohio
Internet: fac2%dayton.saic.com@uunet.uu.net    uucp: dayvb!fac2

rick@tmiuv0.uucp (07/03/90)

In article <1132.268d420c@dayton.saic.com>, fac2@dayton.saic.com (Earle Ake) writes:
> In article <4742@darkstar.ucsc.edu>, borneo@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (B. Theocrastus Holmes) writes:
>> All I need my terminal program to do is upload ASCII, transfer files in
>> Zmodem, and perhaps emulate ANSI and some other keyboard types.  I will
>> pay good money to make this a reality.
>>
>> I have an old copy of Access!, which is the best uploader of text I have seen,
>> but has no worthwhile protocols and doesn't speak sensibly to many BBSs.
>> I have used JRComm, which has beauty screens and Zmodem, but also the worst
>> ASCII transfers I have ever seen, bar none (Vers .094).
>>
>> The question is:  are there any TPs out there which do everything well?
>>   What are you using right now?
>
> Right now I would suggest JRComm.  Jack will start duplicating the v1.0 disks
> in the next few days.
[...]
> Handshake 2.12a is out there.  It doesn't do zmodem yet.  It is a good vt100
> emulation and does support xmodem, ymodem, and kermit.  It all depends on
> what you want.

There's Willy Langeveld's VLT, and ATalkIII, and later versions of Access!
(latest is 1.42), and OnLine! (yeech!), and Wecker's VT100, and.....

                                  8-)

[- O] Rick Stevens
  ?   EMail: uunet!zardoz!tmiuv0!rick -or- uunet!zardoz!xyclone!sysop
  V   CIS: 75006,1355 (75006.1355@compuserve.com from Internet)

"I'm tellin' ya, Valiant!  Da whole ting stinks like yesterday's diapers!"
                                - Baby Herman in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit"