[comp.sys.amiga] DiskSalv1.42 Problems

Bill.Frandsen@samba.acs.unc.edu (BBS Account) (07/03/90)

I remember that a few months ago, someone posted a problem with DiskSalv1.42
using it on a 1Meg (Super) Agnes chip machine.

I too, am having simialar problems.  When I ran version 1.42 on my 512K
chip/512k fast(semi-fast) A500, I did not run into any errors.  However,
in March, when I upgraded to my new A2000, I cannot run DiskSalv without
running into an "Out Of Memory" error.

Even if the disks have deleted files, the system usually runs out of memory
while reading the disk structure.  This is even with the LOMEM option on!

And when it is run on a disk which contains a hard-sector error, each time it
grinds to read the sector, it eats gobs of memory away! (I.e. at least 16K!)

Although I am getting my Supra RAM 2000/2M board this week, I would  like
to know what am I doing wrong, or is there really a bug in this version
of the program?  Any ideas, Dave?

Other than that, I do LOVE the program, and hope  that the "teaser.pic" you
included with the archive is now a reality in Workbench 2.0!

--Thanks Dave!

If anyone has ways around this problem, I would like to hear them.

My e-mail address:  "Bill.Frandsen@bbs.acs.unc.edu"
   ^^^ its a new one, hope it works! :)

In article <476@beguine.UUCP> Bill.Frandsen@samba.acs.unc.edu (BBS Account) writes:

>I too, am having simialar problems.  When I ran version 1.42 on my 512K
>chip/512k fast(semi-fast) A500, I did not run into any errors.  However,
>in March, when I upgraded to my new A2000, I cannot run DiskSalv without
>running into an "Out Of Memory" error.

I don't know of any real run-time problem for V1.42.  The V1.40 version of
DiskSalv had a memory allocation bug which would occasionally have it claiming
to be out of memory when it actually wasn't.  DiskSalv V1.42 has a bug in the
cleanup routine that will sometimes force an endless "out of memory" display
loop.  Basically, the error routine wants to allocate memory that's not
available, thus calling the error routine, which wants memory, etc.  This
is annoying, but you would expect the program to fail anyway, this just make
it an ugly failure.

>Even if the disks have deleted files, the system usually runs out of memory
>while reading the disk structure.  This is even with the LOMEM option on!

Where's your output disk?  On a 1 Meg machine, it's just about impossible to
recover any reasonably fully floppy to RAM:, but I've never had a problem
going from floppy to floppy on a bare-bones system (my usual "bare bones"
system is a 1 meg A1000).

>And when it is run on a disk which contains a hard-sector error, each time it
>grinds to read the sector, it eats gobs of memory away! (I.e. at least 16K!)

I'll check that one.  It does, indeed, grab a big chunk of memory, since
DiskSalv reads in the raw track information in this case, to do it's own
decoding of the Amiga's MFM format.  If multiple 16K chunks are being
allocated, that's certainly a bug.  You can switch off the low-level trackdisk
processing with the NOTD flag.

>Although I am getting my Supra RAM 2000/2M board this week, I would  like
>to know what am I doing wrong, or is there really a bug in this version
>of the program?  Any ideas, Dave?

I'll check into the freeing of the track buffer when I get a chance.  While
I've been too busy to get much further with DS 2.0, I'm certainly going to
fix any major bugs I find in 1.42 before 2.0 is released.

>Other than that, I do LOVE the program, and hope  that the "teaser.pic" you
>included with the archive is now a reality in Workbench 2.0!

I started on that graphic design after learning a little about Intuition
and playing with the NeXT machine.  It was nice for Commodore to do the same
in 2.0, it should make writing DiskSalv 3.0 much easier...

	"I have been given the freedom to do as I see fit" -REM