[comp.sys.amiga] Thought's about AppleTalk.

NJ_GOKEM%FANDM.BITNET@cornellc.cit.cornell.edu (07/02/90)

HI,

Appletalk is the applemacintosh network, standard in every mac.
It is not that fast: 230 KB/s technically, which results in a transfer rate
of about 60 KB on a macII, 40 on a MAC SE or MAC plus. 80 or higher on a
MAC SE/30. Offcourse if more people use the net is slows down considerably:
Especially using laserwriters! (Can take up to 5 mins to print page, with
only 5 to 10 macs hooked up)
CMI made a card for the AMIGA, but I don't think it still exists.
I think the easiest way to go is with an APPLETALK TO RS232 converter.
They exist(I am almost sure), since APPLETALK can be put on a phoneline.
Now all you need is to write software on the amiga that reads the RS232
channel, the header's of the data packets, trashes what it doesn't want,
and captures what it does. And sending packet's offcourse.

If anyone knows of anyway(not to expensive) to hook up my amiga to Appletalk,
(I can't program a appletalk device driver) let me know,
I am really interested since we have a campus wide network with
appletalk jacks in every dormroom( supposedly in September).

Thanks, Nils Gokemeijer (NJ_GOKEMEIJE@FANDM.bitnet)

GWO110%URIACC.BITNET@brownvm.brown.edu (F. Michael Theilig) (07/03/90)

On 2 Jul 90 14:02:19 GMT you said:
>HI,
>
>Appletalk is the applemacintosh network, standard in every mac.
>It is not that fast: 230 KB/s technically, which results in a transfer rate
>of about 60 KB on a macII, 40 on a MAC SE or MAC plus. 80 or higher on a
>MAC SE/30. Offcourse if more people use the net is slows down considerably:
>Especially using laserwriters! (Can take up to 5 mins to print page, with
>only 5 to 10 macs hooked up)

     I have *NEVER* seen a Mac take that long to print one page.  And
 if anyone has a messed up system, it's us.  We have 8 Mac SEs hooked
 to an Apple lazer printer and it never takes longer than 1 minuete to
 print.

>CMI made a card for the AMIGA, but I don't think it still exists.
>I think the easiest way to go is with an APPLETALK TO RS232 converter.
>They exist(I am almost sure), since APPLETALK can be put on a phoneline.
>Now all you need is to write software on the amiga that reads the RS232
>channel, the header's of the data packets, trashes what it doesn't want,
>and captures what it does. And sending packet's offcourse.

     Let me get this right: I can connect my machine to a MAC network and
 print my document on their printer?  I doubt I could use their fileserver,
 but that's obvious.  Anyone know if this works with AMax?

>If anyone knows of anyway(not to expensive) to hook up my amiga to Appletalk,
>(I can't program a appletalk device driver) let me know,
>I am really interested since we have a campus wide network with
>appletalk jacks in every dormroom( supposedly in September).

     Who makes it, what is it's functionality, and how much does it cost?

>Thanks, Nils Gokemeijer (NJ_GOKEMEIJE@FANDM.bitnet)

 ----
      F. Michael Theilig  -  The University of Rhode Island at Little Rest
                            GWO110 at URIACC.Bitnet
                            GKZ117 at URIACC.Bitnet

"Gooooood coffee."

jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu (John Dutka) (07/03/90)

In article <23442@snow-white.udel.EDU> GWO110%URIACC.BITNET@brownvm.brown.edu (F. Michael Theilig) writes:
>     I have *NEVER* seen a Mac take that long to print one page.  And
> if anyone has a messed up system, it's us.  We have 8 Mac SEs hooked
> to an Apple lazer printer and it never takes longer than 1 minuete to
> print.

We have 2 Macs (An SE and a IIx) and it takes about 3 minutes per page to
print on our LaserWriter...)

--
| husc6!m2c!wpi!jdutka | "Hey, baby - wanna do some HEAT TRANSFER?           |
| jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu   |  Heh, heh, heh!"                                    |

plonka@carroll1.cc.edu (Dave Plonka) (07/04/90)

In article <23405@snow-white.udel.EDU> NJ_GOKEM%FANDM.BITNET@cornellc.cit.cornell.edu writes:
[stuff deleted]

>I think the easiest way to go is with an APPLETALK TO RS232 converter.
>They exist(I am almost sure), since APPLETALK can be put on a phoneline.
>Now all you need is to write software on the amiga that reads the RS232
>channel, the header's of the data packets, trashes what it doesn't want,
>and captures what it does. And sending packet's offcourse.

I beleive what you're refering to is PhoneNet (from Farrallon (sp?)) It
allows AppleTalk connections over phone wires. However, it uses only 2 wires.
All it does is transmit the Appletalk protocol over twisted pair rather than
shielded apple cables. I run it all over campus here. It won't help you.
However, one possibility is to use the Shiva Telebridge. It lets you make
a remote connection to a mac net via a modem. This is god-awful slow for
file serving, but the Telebridge manual mentions the possibility of dialing in
to the Mac net with a PC though.
We've had a couple telebridges sitting around not doing much, so I thought I
might try this once I get a few hours to spare to set it up.

>Thanks, Nils Gokemeijer (NJ_GOKEMEIJE@FANDM.bitnet)

Dave

--
-----------------------------------------------------------------///--------
    plonka@carroll1.cc.edu             Dave Plonka              ///

lar@pc.usl.edu (Robert, Lane A.) (07/04/90)

In article <13832@wpi.wpi.edu> jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu (John Dutka) writes:
   In article <23442@snow-white.udel.EDU>
   GWO110%URIACC.BITNET@brownvm.brown.edu (F. Michael Theilig) writes:
   >     I have *NEVER* seen a Mac take that long to print one page.  And
   > if anyone has a messed up system, it's us.  We have 8 Mac SEs hooked
   > to an Apple lazer printer and it never takes longer than 1 minuete to
   > print.

   We have 2 Macs (An SE and a IIx) and it takes about 3 minutes per page to
   print on our LaserWriter...)

On the LocalTalk connected LazyWriter we have here, I've seen it take
close to 5 minutes to print a page, and I've also seen it kick out
pages at the top speed of the print engine.  It seems to me that the
print speed is more dependant on the CPU time necessary to interpret
the PostScript code than the speed of the communication link.

Lane
lar@usl.edu

jnmoyne@lbl.gov (Jean-Noel MOYNE) (07/04/90)

One way to connect Appletalk and Amiga would be to use Ethernet between
the two ones !!! (-: Don't laugh too much, despite the fact that it will
be too expensive (and using Ethernet just for that ...) it will certainly
work, since you got Ethernet cards for the Amiga, and Kinetics box for the
Appletalk.

   Anyway, there are certainly a few router programs on the mac that will
allow you to make the physical (and a part of the logical) link between
the two machines. But you certainly will have to write a specfic software
on the Amiga part. After all, Appletalk Transaction Protocol and DDP are
not very complicated protocols.

     What slows the printing of a page is rather the speed of the printer
than the speed of the Net. Appletalk isn't that slow, sure in front of
Ethernet it's nothing, but remember you can only have 32 devices on the
same Appletalk net, and by using it here (and here it is a huge net !! I
can tell you !!  (about 800 macs total) ) it is still realy reasonable.

     The bigest problem to connect both world is still the physical link,
but once you've done it, it's not too hard to make your Amiga look like a
Mac (just takes time (-:) and it'll be possible to use Appleshare,
printers, and public folders from an Amiga.

     But I don't think anyone had done it yet, if there is a market maybe
someone could do it.

       JNM