[comp.sys.amiga] AmigaBASIC on A3000 needs NoFastMem

Maybe others already realized, but sometimes I feel really stupid...
I had BIG problems with AmigaBASIC on the A3000 and found now the
simple solution: just use NoFastMem before!
Don't know why I just didn't try this one already weeks before.
And as you have 1 MB Chip RAM on an A3000 (expandable to 2 MB),
this is not such a great limit.

So now I know how to survive the time until an updated version of
AmigaBASIC will be released.

To give the details: This is true for the latest OS revision B6,
KS 36.141, WB 36.68. Was tried with all programs of the Extras
BasicDemos.

--
Best regards, Dr. Peter Kittel      //     E-Mail to
Commodore Frankfurt, Germany      \X/      rutgers!cbmvax!cbmger!peterk

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (06/30/90)

Another problem with AmigaBASIC is that it didn't allow for 32bit RAM
addressing...funny how MicroSoft, of all companies, didn't follow the rules
that say make no assumptions about the users system.

Sean

  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       |
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil | " Fanatics have their
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com                |   dreams, wherewith they
                                               |   weave a paradise for
  RealWorld: Sean Cunningham                   |   a sect. "
      Voice: (512) 994-1602  PLINK: ce3k*      |                -Keats

  Call C.B.A.U.G. BBS (512) 883-8351 w/SkyPix  | B^) VISION  GRAPHICS B^)
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

rjz@martian.UUCP (Robert J. Zepeda) (06/30/90)

>In article <3348@crash.cts.com> seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) writes:
>
>Another problem with AmigaBASIC is that it didn't allow for 32bit RAM
>addressing...funny how MicroSoft, of all companies, didn't follow the rules
>that say make no assumptions about the users system.
>
>Sean

I have had to work with Microsoft products for several years now. The one
thing that is consistant in their IBM products is their insistance on not
following even their own rules. Why should their Amiga product be any
different. A quite that I heard at a trade show seems to sum up the attitude
of Microsoft. "They be Microsoft, they know what people want to buy. Those
people that do not know this, are stupid."

--
-Jim-

* Jim Zepeda                     UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!ut-emx!martian!rjz *
* C.T.A.C.S.  --                       Central Texas Amiga Computer Society *
* Any opinions are my own. My employer can speak for itself.                *

dan@oresoft.com (Daniel Elbaum) (07/04/90)

In article <3348@crash.cts.com> seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) writes:
:Another problem with AmigaBASIC is that it didn't allow for 32bit RAM
:addressing...funny how MicroSoft, of all companies, didn't follow the rules
:that say make no assumptions about the users system.

Microsoft, of all companies, is notorious for making assumptions
about the user's system.
--
Being conservative in most respects and reluctant to transform country and
constitution, the coup d'etat typically neither attracts nor needs the fanatic.

({uunet,tektronix,reed,sun!nosun,m2xenix}!oresoft!(dan)@oresoft.com)

hamish@waikato.ac.nz (07/04/90)

In article <3348@crash.cts.com>, seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) writes:

> Another problem with AmigaBASIC is that it didn't allow for 32bit RAM
> addressing...funny how MicroSoft, of all companies, didn't follow the rules

You haven't used microsoft products very often have you? Lucky person. Did you
know that Microsofts excel 1.0 for the MAC suffers from the same problem. It
has to be loaded in the first 1 meg of ram to work. Rumour has it that when
they ported it from the PC, they left in the 640k limit. After all who will
ever need more.

Microsoft have a knack of determining exactly what the user wants, whether the
user actually wants it or not. Apple had to write multifinder so it could
recognise excel1.0 and load it in the first 1meg automatically so that it
would work.

Other wonderful achievements in microsoft products are.

   Excel is the only product that tests for a mathschip in a mac and fails
   if there is a 68882 instead of a 68881. They didn't follow the guidelines
   and test a system bit, they performed an exception and checked the stack
   frame. The 68882 is different from the 881 and so they don't see a chip
   at all.

   The networked version of windows comes WITHOUT the special kernel.exe
   file necessary for Novell. While this may be OK, none of the manuals
   mention it and you don't find out what the out of memory errors really
   are (an error in programming) until you ring and inquire. Then they send
   the correct file out by floppy.
   (I must admit once that was sorted out, it got here within a day)

 I'm still installing word5.9, so don't know if my problems there are from
me or them.

> that say make no assumptions about the users system.
>
> Sean

> ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
>   UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       |
>   ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil | " Fanatics have their
>   INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com                |   dreams, wherewith they
>                                                |   weave a paradise for
>   RealWorld: Sean Cunningham                   |   a sect. "
>       Voice: (512) 994-1602  PLINK: ce3k*      |                -Keats
>   Call C.B.A.U.G. BBS (512) 883-8351 w/SkyPix  | B^) VISION  GRAPHICS B^)
> \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

All in all I say it's great that microsoft DON'T put out anything for the amiga
Instead of upgrading AmigaBasic, Commodore should put out a different language,
that has more structure to it. eg Pascal or Modula-2.

AND before all you basic freaks :) flame me, basic won't be structured until
it has everything a good Algol type language has, and then it won't be basic
any more. A language that will let you jump (ie GOTO) out of a loop, at any
time, to anywhere you like is a bad language. (Please don't include assembler
here! 8)

|  Hamish Marson                        |  Internet  hamish@waikato.ac.nz    |
|  Computer Support Person              |  Phone  (071)562889 xt 8181        |
|  Computer Science Department          |  Amiga 3000 for ME!                |
|  University of Waikato                |                                    |
|Disclaimer:  Anything said in this message is the personal opinion of the   |
|             finger hitting the keyboard & doesn't represent my employers   |
|             opinion in any way. (ie we probably don't agree)               |

In article <921.2691c80d@waikato.ac.nz> hamish@waikato.ac.nz writes:

>AND before all you basic freaks :) flame me, basic won't be structured until
>it has everything a good Algol type language has, and then it won't be basic
>any more. A language that will let you jump (ie GOTO) out of a loop, at any
>time, to anywhere you like is a bad language. (Please don't include assembler
>here! 8)

Ah, you didn't see Real World Algol 60 programs, did you? They have GOTO's
and they damned well jump just into loops and blocks like hell. Things
I would never dare to do in any other language (safe Assembler). I speak
about official numerical subroutines for polynomial equations provided
by our university, source of these programs unknown to me.

In fact, it *IS* possible to write AmigaBasic sources of >50 KB with
*NO* GOTO (though that leads to use of MANY additional flag variables
and such stuff). It always depends on the person using a language
whether it will be structured in the end or not. I believe you can do
fully unreadable coding in Pascal, and clearly structured Basic with
many GOTO's on the other side.