[comp.sys.amiga] Motorola and Hitachi settle

karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) (06/28/90)

In article <25565@usc.edu> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>An Hitachi spokesman said his company expects a negotiated settlement ot
>take 60 to 90 days.

You had to figure they'd cut a deal.  The 68030 was too important to Motorola.
Hitachi probably got a good deal because I don't think they cared as much
about the H8 or whatever it was that they weren't going to be allowed to sell.
--
-- uunet!sugar!karl
-- Usenet access: (713) 438-5018

danb20@pro-graphics.cts.com (Dan Bachmann) (07/03/90)

       Motorala has been temporarily allowed to start production again of the
68030.
        When Motorala said to Hitachi, "OK, forget about the 68030, we'll dump
it and go all out 68000, 68020, and *68040*' Hitachi said, 'We'll try to sue
you a second time because your 68040 is based on the 68030 which is based on
our chip (h8)'
        Either way ya go, ya hit a wall.  The technology around does not take
full advantage of a 68040 yet, but it's time to go to 68050 just to get out of
politics.
 ProLine: DanB20@pro-graphics            ************************
    UUCP: ...crash!pro-graphics!DanB20   *  Daniel G. Bachmann  *
ARPA/DDN: pro-graphics!DanB20@nosc.mil   ************************
Internet: danb20@pro-graphics.cts.com  or  ak032@cleveland.Freenet.Edu
U.S.mail: 509 StonyBrook Drive, Bridgewater, NJ, 08807 USA

mk59200@korppi.tut.fi (Kolkka Markku Olavi) (07/04/90)

In article <3384@crash.cts.com> danb20@pro-graphics.cts.com (Dan Bachmann) writes:
>        When Motorala said to Hitachi, "OK, forget about the 68030, we'll dump
>it and go all out 68000, 68020, and *68040*' Hitachi said, 'We'll try to sue
>you a second time because your 68040 is based on the 68030 which is based on
>our chip (h8)'

No, the 68030 isn't based on the H8, the TLB patent that Hitachi owns
has nothing to do with the H8 processor.  Motorola sued Hitachi because
they think H8 violates some of their patents. Hitachi is a second
source of 68000, and the H8 architechture remotely resembles that of
68000.

--
	Markku Kolkka
	mk59200@tut.fi

a143@mindlink.UUCP (Ed Meyer) (07/05/90)

The way I heard it, from a source who _really_ should know, is that Motorola
has redesigned the internal "thing" that Hitachi used as their big stick.  The
redesign is a Motorola original (as much as anything is original these days)
and is proven in silicon ... meaning production is anytime Motorola wants.  So,
Hitachi had choices to make.  In the end, the new Motorola thing is better,
faster, etc., ad nosium.  The problem in being around two companies stirring
this pot of sh*t wildly is that some of it splashed on to us users ... that
stinks!