[comp.sys.amiga] Connecting Input

dylan@cs.washington.edu (Dylan McNamee) (07/02/90)

I am writing a program using the Post1.1 library.  It allows the
programmer to supply an output file handle, so the messages from
the interpreter can show up wherever you choose.

I want this filehandle to be readable by my program (the same one
that called up the post.library) so it can interact and recieve
output from the interpreter.  (Namely to get font widths into an
internal array.)

I tried making the post output filehandle be my program's input
file, which presumably didn't work since Input is probably meant
to be read only.

I tried opening a file, passing the handle to post, then opening
the same file, for read only, but the second open fails...one
process per open file, I presume.

Short of asking Adrian to rewrite the file-io interface (my next
step...) can anyone think of a way to connect processes in this
manner?  It doesn't seem like it should be impossible, since I'm
really not asking any more than having a pipe between post and me.

ideas?  anyone?  anyone?

(email please...)
thanks

dylan
dylan@cs.washington.edu

In article <12432@june.cs.washington.edu> dylan@june.cs.washington.edu (Dylan McNamee) writes:
>I want this filehandle to be readable by my program (the same one
>that called up the post.library) so it can interact and recieve
>output from the interpreter.  (Namely to get font widths into an
>internal array.)
>Short of asking Adrian to rewrite the file-io interface (my next
>step...) can anyone think of a way to connect processes in this
>manner?  It doesn't seem like it should be impossible, since I'm
>really not asking any more than having a pipe between post and me.

	No problem.  Use pipes.  Open("PIPE:myfile",MODE_NEWFILE) to give
to Post, and Open("PIPE:myfile",MODE_OLDFILE) for your program to read from.

Common phrase heard at Amiga Devcon '89: "It's in there!"