[comp.sys.amiga] Robocop2 - Where's The Amiga Graphics

caw@miroc.Chi.IL.US (Christopher A. Wichura) (06/26/90)

Warning!  This article contains (minor?) spoilers from the movie RoboCop 2.

In article <00938B08.CF94C860@EA.USL.EDU> castorca@EA.USL.EDU (Christian Castor) writes:
>In article <14036@venera.isi.edu>, schur@venera.isi.edu (Sean Schur) writes:
>>All right. I've been reading on the net about how all these graphics in
>>Robocop 2 were done on the Amiga. Where are they?
>
>Well, I at least spotted one display (I think).   It was a "Nuke" (the drug)
>particle, being rotated.  This was on the background, though.  The scene was
>the one in which Robocop comes for the second time to the place in which
>the Nuke was made.   A police officer enters into the lab where the Amiga
>display is, an he suddenly hears the bomb timer.  At that moment he runs
>out of the lab, which explodes seconds later.

I just went back and re-read the article in INFO and there is a lot of
stuff that was `missing'.  I, too, noticed the Nuke particle in the van as
I was specifically looking for it after having seen it in the INFO
magazine.

The article makes reference to an animation where the bad guys are trying
to break into a computer, but Robo has been there already and implaneted
this password which when you get it wrong says `Back off creep' as he
shoots at you.  Now, they didn't even have the baddies trying to break into
a computer much less have the animation.

Next the article mentions a map animation where they show where Robo is on
this little tracking device like they did in the first movie.  I didn't see
this, either.

Then comes mention of the Nuke particle, which we did see.

The last thing mentioned is a computer search like in the first movie where
Robo slams a spike into the wall to activate the Ideni-Kit.  Now, they
didn't do this per say, however there were all the profile screens that the
psychoanalyist lady was going through when trying to find the right brain
for RoboCop 2.  This might be what they were refering to.

>>I saw several very prominent
>>Sun systems displayed. And I saw what could have been Amiga graphics for the

You mean actual hardware?  Maybe I just wasn't looking.

>>display of Robocop 2 himself. But they could just as easily have been Apple
>>graphics.
>
>I think it was done on purpose. The display of Robocop 2 should look computer
>made.  As far as who did it (Ami or Apple) is anybody's guess.

True, it should look computer made.  However, they should __NOT__ have made
RoboCop 2's display so much of a Mac ripoff that it nearly made me puke.  I
would have prefered a display that didn't relate to __ANY__ system.
Anyway, I doubt they used an Amiga to dupe a Mac screen.  Also, someone
mentioned that the credits said `Mac graphics by...' or some such.

>Anybody out there traced more Amiga graphics?   Or even better, does anybody
>knows for sure if the Amiga was used at all?

I would like to know what they did for the `face' of RoboCop 2.  They had
quite a bit of it and it looked ray traced to me.  For an Amiga, that would
represent a considerable amount of time, even with an accelerator card (and
the INFO article makes no mention to the crew having one when they asked
what hardware they were using).  Aside from Sculpt-Animate 4d, does anyone
know if the Mac has any other ray tracers?  One place the Amiga leads is
with high power tracers...

Another monitor output that comes to mind is when they had all the prime
directives that OCP installed in Robo scrolling along.  There was also the
targeting sequence when Robo shoots the guy holding the baby in the Nuke
factory.

>-Chris

Hey, you thief!  That's my name :-)

-=> CAW

/////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
                          Christopher A. Wichura

               caw@miroc.chi.il.us      (my amiga)
               u12401@uicvm.uic.edu     (my school account)

Please! Do not send mail to my school account unless mail to miroc bounces.
    I often do not check uicvm.uic.edu for periods in excess of a week.
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////

a665@mindlink.UUCP (Anthon Pang) (06/27/90)

> caw@miroc.Chi.IL.US writes:
> I just went back and re-read the article in INFO and there is a lot of
> stuff that was `missing'.  I, too, noticed the Nuke particle in the van as
> I was specifically looking for it after having seen it in the INFO
> magazine.
>
> The article makes reference to an animation where the bad guys are trying
> to break into a computer, but Robo has been there already and implaneted
> this password which when you get it wrong says `Back off creep' as he
> shoots at you.  Now, they didn't even have the baddies trying to break into
> a computer much less have the animation.
>
> Next the article mentions a map animation where they show where Robo is on
> this little tracking device like they did in the first movie.  I didn't see
> this, either.
>
> Then comes mention of the Nuke particle, which we did see.
>
> The last thing mentioned is a computer search like in the first movie where
> Robo slams a spike into the wall to activate the Ideni-Kit.  Now, they
> didn't do this per say, however there were all the profile screens that the
> psychoanalyist lady was going through when trying to find the right brain
> for RoboCop 2.  This might be what they were refering to.

I didn't read that article...now, I'm really *PISSED!*   Too bad, INFO was on
hiatus for a while...maybe they could have printed a retraction (on an
interview?) or at least "leaked" a rumor that script changes or post production
decisions might result in NONE of these scenes appearing in the final cut.
Then again, they might be saving all this for Robocop III :)

nicthu@mcorp.UUCP (Nick "The Watchdog" Thurn) (07/05/90)

> caw@miroc.Chi.IL.US writes:
> I just went back and re-read the article in INFO and there is a lot of
> stuff that was `missing'.
> Next the article mentions a map animation where they show where Robo is on
> this little tracking device like they did in the first movie.
> The last thing mentioned is a computer search like in the first movie where

Has anyone suggested that these graphics which INFO saw were demos created
from ideas from the first movie in order to get the contract to do the
graphics for the second movie?  Makes a lot of sense to me!
Nick Thurn                                    cis.ohio-state.edu!mcorp!nicthu
Symix Computer Systems Inc.                   nicthu@mcorp.UUCP
Columbus, Ohio