[comp.sys.amiga] Need advice on MIDI box...

jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (07/03/90)

     I just purchased a Yamaha SHS-10 Keyboard, as part of a beginner MIDI
system.  I guess all I need now are cables and a Midi box.  What's the best
one for best cost?
     So far, it seems Perfect Sound is the most popular from the messages
I have seen, but I have also heard some good things about AMAS and heard
it has a sound sampler? to boot, though it is not compatible w/ AudioMaster?
or some excellent sound software, so a friend of mine says.

     I'd appreciate any advice on a midi box.
                                    Thanks,
                                      Jason

btw, are the # of Midi outs very important?

jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (07/03/90)

     Yow!, I don't know what I was thinking.  I forgot Perfect sound is
only for sampling sounds and has no MIDI capability.
     I meant to ask questions concerning the ECE box, because it is the
cheapest, and was wondering if AMAS was worth getting as an addition
because of it's sound sampler as well.
     Also, are there any problems w/ the AMAS I should know about?
                                    Thanks,
                                           Jason

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) (07/03/90)

In article <46200090@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

> I just purchased ... part of a beginner MIDI system.  I guess all I need
>now are cables and a Midi box.  What's the best one for best cost?

	All Amiga MIDI interfaces are identical in function, except for
the number of INs and OUTs.  I use the Golden Hawk interface, and other
folks I know use the ECE.

	At some point, there will be MIDI interfaces with extra capabilities,
like SMPTE.  Not yet.

>So far, it seems Perfect Sound is the most popular...

	Perfect Sound and AMAS are sound samplers, not MIDI interfaces.
These are totally unrelated items.  Send me e-mail about this if you have
any questions on the differenes.

>btw, are the # of Midi outs very important?

	Not terribly, unless you have lots of MIDI instruments.  You can
hook up multiple MIDI instruments to a single MIDI OUT on your computer
by daisy-chaining the instruments:

	AMIGA OUT	--> synth1 IN
	synth1 THRU	--> synth2 IN
	synth2 THRU	--> synth3 IN

In the future, maybe a piece of software will support multiple MIDI OUTs on
a single MIDI interface, giving you access to more than 16 MIDI channels.
(You can do it right now if you have multiple serial ports, though.)  But
right now, multiple MIDI OUT's on the same interface simply pass two
identical copies the MIDI data.

                                                        Dan

 //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
| Dan Barrett, Department of Computer Science      Johns Hopkins University |
| INTERNET:   barrett@cs.jhu.edu           |                                |
| COMPUSERVE: >internet:barrett@cs.jhu.edu | UUCP:   barrett@jhunix.UUCP    |

FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) (07/06/90)

In addition to the comments already made about daisy-chaining...

there is a practcal limit on daisy-chaining due to the time it takes
MIDI signals to propogate through the interfaces.  I've heard the number
6-8 mentioned but I wouldn't worry about it until you find that adding
another unit causes things to be slightly out of wack.  Then there
are other techniques to use.

Dana Bourgeois @ cup.portal.com