[comp.sys.amiga] HARDDIVE FOR A500

NJ_GOKEM%FANDM.BITNET@pucc.princeton.edu (07/05/90)

>From:  edu%"shadow@watcsc.waterloo.edu"      "Thorsten Schiller"
> 3-JUL-1990 20:23:09.89
You Write:
>Greetings...
>
> This is my first time posting to this group, so, please, be gentle :-)
>
>What I am in need of is some good advice. I am looking to buy a SCSI HD for
>my Amiga 500 within the next few months but am not certain about what exactly
>I should and/or shouldn't get.
> Specifically I am looking for something in the 40 meg range and a good value
>for the money.
> So, can anybody out there suggest a good HD and controller for the 500?
>
> If at all possible please respond by email... thanx!
>
>            Thorsten (shadow@watcsc.waterloo.edu)

I have looked around a little bit too. The cheapest, most reliable is
the trumpcard I think, with any harddrive they offer with it(buy a magazine,
to find out)
A nice thing is that they can work with A-MAX, using MAC partitions,that can
even be used on a mac.
GVP makes harddrives and offers EDUC. DISCOUNT. They are a little more
expensive, but they can use 4MB of simms for extra memory.
The Trumpcard is faster, but uses more CPU time.
The GVP uses 16K cache memory, and needs less CPU time.

IF you want a very MULTITASKING friendly drive, you should by a
XETEC-FASTCARD. I believe they are the only ones that make a DMA
(DIRECT MEMORY ACCES) SCSI controller. Again a little more expensive.

I think you should by a SCSI drive, since then you can expand later, using
more drives or ethernetcards, or tapedrives orso. ST506 drives,(THE ibm-
standard) can only have one drive per controller.
(they are cheaper though!)

Then also seriously think whether you need 40MB, or maybe 20 MB is enough,
presumably drives get cheaper and cheaper, maybe in a few years you can by
a 600MB optical drive for $1500 dollars orso. Maybe you don't need the extra
memory now. I have seen a lot of 20MB drives, being large enough.

Hope I was of any help,
Nils Gokemeijer (NJ_GOKEMEIJE@FANDM.bitnet)
******* No .sig file: It's a VAX ******

jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (07/06/90)

     Wait 10 more days, and purchase a Trumpcard Professional 500.
It still has AMAX capability and will double read/writes on an unenhanced
systems.  On enhanced systems w/ accelerators, expect 1500K-2000K read/writes.
                                            Jason Chung