[comp.sys.amiga] Manx Bug

eric%hector.uucp@UDEL.EDU (10/04/88)

From: Eric Lavitsky <eric@hector.uucp>
Subject: Re: Manx bug
Date: 30 Sep 88 17:31:06 GMT
To:       amiga-relay@UDEL.EDU
Sender:   amiga-relay-request@UDEL.EDU

 writes:
>>As anybody seen anything like this before, or have any suggestions for
>>getting around this Manx problem?
>
>program, though there is no reason the assembler should barf on it.  Since
>the MANX tech support has been dismal lately (Jim hasn't logged in on
>BIX for months, and one can never get through the BBS or the tech support
>number), I'll probably just send the sources (it's a PD program) to MANX
>and hope they do something about it.  By the way, this is all with MANX latest
>release, 3.60b (after munging to work with REZ).

Not to deny or concur with Marco's assesment of Manx's tech support as
of late, I just wanted to point out that Jim himself has been hard at work
on the 4.0 release of the compiler and SDB which he has promised to show at
the October JAUG meeting. I believe he will have something to preview at
AmiExpo as well. I'm sure that has something to do with the fact that he
hasn't been logged in to BIX etc. His goal I'm sure is to solve these
problems you are experiencing with the 4.0 release as well as provide
numerous new features (and bugs too I'm sure - 1/2 :-) ) - should be a real win.

>-- Marco Papa 'Doc'

Eric Lavitsky,
The Man of Many Hats

ARPA:    eric@topaz.rutgers.edu or eric@ulysses.att.com
UUCP:    {att,ucbvax}!ulysses!eric or {wherever!}rutgers!topaz!eric
SNAIL:    34 Maplehurst Ln, Piscataway, NJ 08854

"To err is human; To really f*ck up requires the root password."

paolucci%snll-arpagw.uucp@UDEL.EDU (10/04/88)

From: Sam Paolucci <paolucci@snll-arpagw.uucp>
Date: 1 Oct 88 04:18:47 GMT
To:       amiga-relay@UDEL.EDU
Sender:   amiga-relay-request@UDEL.EDU

In article <12451@oberon.USC.EDU> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
+In article <220@snll-arpagw.UUCP> paolucci@snll-arpagw.UUCP (Sam Paolucci)
 writes:
+>I was compiling a sizable code and I got the following error from the
+>assembler (it got through the compiler fine :-)):
+>
+>    "Line 802 #Pc relative out of range, -130."
+>
+>As anybody seen anything like this before, or have any suggestions for
+>getting around this Manx problem?
+
+Yep, I've seen it a LOT with VERY LARGE C sources. The compiler generates
+the code with no errors reported, and then the assembler gives the above
+message. It usually goes into a loop in which all labels after the first
+one flagged will all give the "pc out of range" message.  This is either
+a bug in the compiler (which generates bad code), or the assembler
+(which cannot process a  large source). By the way, in my case the
+.asm file output by the compiler was 600K (sources!).  So it wasn't a small
+program, though there is no reason the assembler should barf on it.  Since
+the MANX tech support has been dismal lately (Jim hasn't logged in on
+BIX for months, and one can never get through the BBS or the tech support
+number), I'll probably just send the sources (it's a PD program) to MANX
+and hope they do something about it.  By the way, this is all with MANX latest
+release, 3.60b (after munging to work with REZ).
+
+-- Marco Papa 'Doc'

Talking about tech support, after MANY attempts I finally get through their
tech support number to report several bugs and the person on the other
end HANGS UP on me while I'm trying to explain to him the first bug.  And
THAT is what I pay for the commercial license?  Jim where are you?  If
Manx doesn't shape up they are going to start losing customers.  Personally
I'm going to write them a stern letter.

--
                    -+= SAM =+-
"the best things in life are free"

                ARPA: paolucci@snll-arpagw.llnl.gov

eric%hector.uucp%UDEL.EDU@cunyvm.cuny.edu (10/04/88)

From: eric%hector.uucp@UDEL.EDU
Date: 3 Oct 88 21:56:44 GMT
To:       amiga-relay@UDEL.EDU
Sender:   amiga-relay-request@UDEL.EDU

From: Eric Lavitsky <eric@hector.uucp>
Date: 30 Sep 88 17:31:06 GMT
To:       amiga-relay@UDEL.EDU
Sender:   amiga-relay-request@UDEL.EDU

 writes:
>>As anybody seen anything like this before, or have any suggestions for
>>getting around this Manx problem?
>
>program, though there is no reason the assembler should barf on it.  Since
>the MANX tech support has been dismal lately (Jim hasn't logged in on
>BIX for months, and one can never get through the BBS or the tech support
>number), I'll probably just send the sources (it's a PD program) to MANX
>and hope they do something about it.  By the way, this is all with MANX latest
>release, 3.60b (after munging to work with REZ).

Not to deny or concur with Marco's assesment of Manx's tech support as
of late, I just wanted to point out that Jim himself has been hard at work
on the 4.0 release of the compiler and SDB which he has promised to show at
the October JAUG meeting. I believe he will have something to preview at
AmiExpo as well. I'm sure that has something to do with the fact that he
hasn't been logged in to BIX etc. His goal I'm sure is to solve these
problems you are experiencing with the 4.0 release as well as provide
numerous new features (and bugs too I'm sure - 1/2 :-) ) - should be a real win.

>-- Marco Papa 'Doc'

Eric Lavitsky,
The Man of Many Hats

ARPA:    eric@topaz.rutgers.edu or eric@ulysses.att.com
UUCP:    {att,ucbvax}!ulysses!eric or {wherever!}rutgers!topaz!eric
SNAIL:    34 Maplehurst Ln, Piscataway, NJ 08854

"To err is human; To really f*ck up requires the root password."

sekoppenhoef@lotus.uwaterloo.ca (07/06/90)

I have found a case where the MANX C compiler (any version) generates bad code.
I discovered this while porting GNU awk 2.11 from MSDOS to the AMIGA (it works
now).

They do some error checking?? using a macro in similar form to:

#define MAC(a,b) { \
     /* some processing */    \
     if (b) {   \
       fprintf (stderr, b);   \
	} \
   }

In some(all) cases, b is of the form "error message here"  ie it is used
in calls such as MAC(code, "can't open file")

For the resulting code

	if ("can't open file")

MANX generates a    tst.l  #.12   (12 arbitrary)  which is an instruction
that the assembler doesn't recognize  (Opcode operands did not match,
src=0, dest=400)   ie the immediate mode of this operand is not recognized.

Is this construct legal in C (I believe there is nothing wrong with it)?

Could somebody pass this onto the people at MANX so that they may correct it?

Also, SDB 5.0b does NOT like long source files.  I had to debug the source
file that was generated by bison (~3000 lines) and when SDB was displaying
the file it looks as though it did the following:

	open source file
	read in n lines of text
	display source line
	close file

	open source file
	read in n+1 lines of text
	display source line
	close file

	...  for each line of text in the source window.

This is not acceptable!!!  When debugging around line 2700, it took about
10 seconds to refresh the window, and this had to be done every time the
source window scrolled.

It was also slower than 5.0a on skipping over library routines such as
open(), tmpnam().  (These took approx 15 seconds one time)

Enough of these gripes.  Hopefully MANX will see it in there infinite wisdom
to at least fix the way SDB displays the source code.

-- Scotte
(sekoppenhoef@lotus.waterloo.edu)   A friend's account