[comp.sys.amiga] Robocop II sucked, and had no Amiga Graphics

Sylvain@speedy.CAM.ORG (Sylvain Tremblay) (06/28/90)

In article <1990Jun26.160205.20538@csmil.umich.edu> chymes@fribourg.csmil.umich.edu (Charles Hymes) writes:

>And to top it off, NO Amiga graphics! Zippo dudes. The "virus" scene
>and the "molecule" scene were apparently cut. So, if other production
>houses liked what they saw, then they should get an apple, 'cause
>that's all you coul tell there was.

Let me quote INFO:

"The Amiga, to me, is one of the most cast-efficient and. at the
same time, most technologically advanced system that you can buy.  Apple
can crow about their system as much as they want, but let's face it -- a
Macintosh is like a stone when compared to an Amiga"

and again:

"There is a full screen sequence.  If you remember the first movie, there's
a scene where Robocop enters the police station, goes to the mainframe,
take a spike, and slams it into the computer.  He then interfaces with the
main computer to pull up sort of computerised Identi-kit.  There is
something similar to that in Robocop 2, but it is much more lively and it's
not just faces this time.  It is going to be a major sequence with lots of
images cascading over the screens, but at this point we are planning to use
the Amiga system for graphics work on it."

I never saw this scene...  Or any other scene where the Amiga graphics
were OBVIOUS!!!

--
Sylvain
                                                                   __

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (06/29/90)

The molecule scene was in there, though not full screen.  It was in the
portable NUKE lab that got blown up...first terminal by the door.

Just about all the other terminal screens were also Amiga-generated...the only
full screen Amiga shot was of a sorta diagnostic routine with a digitized
picture of ROBO's head, and pieces flying up to it.

Sean
  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       |
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil | " Fanatics have their
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com                |   dreams, wherewith they
                                               |   weave a paradise for
  RealWorld: Sean Cunningham                   |   a sect. "
      Voice: (512) 994-1602  PLINK: ce3k*      |                -Keats

  Call C.B.A.U.G. BBS (512) 883-8351 w/SkyPix  | B^) VISION  GRAPHICS B^)
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

ceej@pawl.rpi.edu (Chris J Hillery) (06/30/90)

I think that it's quite possible that the robot "faces" (Robo's and Cane's,
on Robo II) were, in fact, Amiga graphics.  They looked quite similar to
a few traces I've seen, I believe done on Turbo Silver.  However, I doubt
that Ami actually did the animating... probably all the individual frames
(lots!) were pre-rendered, then assembled frame-by-frame onto video.  THis
is a common enough method for a lot of "really good" traces.  Then again, I
suppose Ami has enough power to have actually done the animation herself,
given a REAL big hard drive.... at any rate, I though those graphics looked
suspiciously Amiga-esque.

Also, there were plenty of other graphics used, so much so that they're
almost overlooked.  Every time you saw a Robo's-ey view of things, with
words and such superimposed onto them, that's graphics... could quite well be
Amiga gfx (for instance, the section where RObo plots a bullet's ricochet
off a steel door into the guy's head, with a grid plotted on and then zooming
in and rotated).  Granted, these generally weren't too complex graphics, but
hey...  and if the faces were in fact Amiga, they were pretty durn impressive.

Unfortunately, the movie was pretty poor. Pity. It just seemed disjointed,
somehow... there wasn't a coherent buildup...

--
  //..is|While 1 DO|Erin,Erin,where are|Art of Noise space|    -- Ceej    (=
\X/there|  Fork;   |you? /-----------.-^------------------|ceej@pawl.rpi.edu

palmerc@ingr.com (Chris Palmer) (07/02/90)

In article <S#L$4-+@rpi.edu> ceej@pawl.rpi.edu (Chris J Hillery) writes:

>I think that it's quite possible that the robot "faces" (Robo's and Cane's,
>on Robo II) were, in fact, Amiga graphics.  They looked quite similar to

I am pretty sure the Cane (Kane?) face WAS NOT done on an Amiga.  If anyone
is doing that high quality of animation, I would like to know about it.  One
thing that no one else has mentioned was the mug-shot database of criminals
that the OCP woman was searching through.  These looked very much like
Digi-View digitized faces touched up on a paint program.  Any confirmation?

BTW, the first face that comes up on the mug-shots is Irwin Kirchner, the
director.

2nd BTW, the movie did suck.

--
|  Christopher M. Palmer                        #|Quote section| | | | | | ||
/  Intergraph Corporation                       #| | Closed For| |o| | | | |\

aaalexis@sactoh0.UUCP (Andrew A. Alexis) (07/04/90)

In article <11246@ingr.com>, palmerc@ingr.com (Chris Palmer) writes:
> In article <S#L$4-+@rpi.edu> ceej@pawl.rpi.edu (Chris J Hillery) writes:
> >
> >I think that it's quite possible that the robot "faces" (Robo's and Cane's,
> >on Robo II) were, in fact, Amiga graphics.  They looked quite similar to
>
> I am pretty sure the Cane (Kane?) face WAS NOT done on an Amiga.  If anyone
> is doing that high quality of animation, I would like to know about it.  One
> thing that no one else has mentioned was the mug-shot database of criminals
> that the OCP woman was searching through.  These looked very much like
> Digi-View digitized faces touched up on a paint program.  Any confirmation?
 I have not seen the movie, but MacWeek had a short article 2-4
weeks ago about how the MAC was used to do key scenes in Robocop
II.  Somewhere along the line, the people that Info talked to must
have gotten the ol' heave ho out the door.  The macweek article
specifically mentioned the menu bar with the skull on it as being
mac generated.  Of course, no mention was made of the amiga, this
being a macpublication after all.

--
   Andy Alexis        UUCP:ames!pacbell!sactoh0!aaalexis
  "Toto kansasoseum non est cognito" -- Farley

mark@calvin..westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) (07/06/90)

In article <3441@sactoh0.UUCP> aaalexis@sactoh0.UUCP (Andrew A. Alexis) writes:
>In article <11246@ingr.com>, palmerc@ingr.com (Chris Palmer) writes:
>> In article <S#L$4-+@rpi.edu> ceej@pawl.rpi.edu (Chris J Hillery) writes:
>> >
>> >I think that it's quite possible that the robot "faces" (Robo's and Cane's,
>> >on Robo II) were, in fact, Amiga graphics.  They looked quite similar to
>>
>> I am pretty sure the Cane (Kane?) face WAS NOT done on an Amiga.  If anyone
>> is doing that high quality of animation, I would like to know about it.

I would almost gaurantee that the Cane face was done with a Silicon
Graphics System. The whole thing looked remarkably similar to an SGI
demo that was presented at Siggraph two years ago which a 3D digitized
head was manipulated and rendered IN REAL TIME in sync with talking
and singing. It can be seen on the '88 Siggraph video review.
|  Mark Thompson                                                           |
|  mark@westford.ccur.com                                                  |
|  ...!{decvax,uunet}!masscomp!mark   Designing high performance graphics  |
|  (508)392-2480                      engines today for a better tomorrow. |